4 15.38%
  • Voting for the sake of it.

3 11.54%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Liked the idea in theory, but mostly it just feels like I'm sitting around, doing math and drinking beer. With all things considered, I'l like to drop the doing math part. It doesn't help that DM I played with wasn't really good, and on top of that would get really drunk by the end of the night, prompting you to get really drunk, because being more sober than the DM just isn't fun.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Alcohol and RPG is usually not a good idea... If it's not light beer or something.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Alcohol and RPG is usually not a good idea... If it's not light beer or something.
    The local custom was for each person to make shots for everyone else, until everyone had served a round. So you couldn't leave without doing at least 5 shots. Then usually halfway into the evening the DM would just kind of wander off and do something else for a while.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    The local custom was for each person to make shots for everyone else, until everyone had served a round. So you couldn't leave without doing at least 5 shots. Then usually halfway into the evening the DM would just kind of wander off and do something else for a while.
    That doesn't sound very inspiring...

OH, something that really bothers me is aspie-like game masters i.e. INTJ/INTP ones. I'm a social gamer and I *crave* the imagination and social game master style of an NF.
    Well, some of them can manage it pretty well, but most of them just suck so bad that I want to cry... It's all about battle all the time >.<

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    That doesn't sound very inspiring...

OH, something that really bothers me is aspie-like game masters i.e. INTJ/INTP ones. I'm a social gamer and I *crave* the imagination and social game master style of an NF.
    Well, some of them can manage it pretty well, but most of them just suck so bad that I want to cry... It's all about battle all the time >.<
    The new D&D rules pretty much encourage constant battle thing. The combat rules of the game feels like you're playing a video game, and they really don't focus much anymore on skills and stuff for non combat situations. Maybe I outta find a White Wolf group to play with.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

IMO, white wolf games suck pretty badly, too.
    I've been playing Vampire/World of Darkness a few months last year. It sucked even with a pretty good GM.
    Just so unrealistic...
    The game I showed you above use the d100 system. That's two dices with 10 sides, one marked with 0-9, and the other 00-90 using double numbers (00, 10, 20, 30, 40 etc).
    So, say that you have a skill in your martial art, or just the generic skill "swords" with a value of 15. The normal chance you have to hit is with three d6:es, and you are supposed to get under 15 with that.
    If you hit a six, you have to pick up that dice again and add another dice and re-roll, making it harder to succeed.
    Anyway let's say you hit the guy (normally high, middle or low but there are also tables for specific areas like head, torso and whatnot)...
    Anyway, when you hit the guy, you roll the d100 dices and if you get, say, 65, you hit the chest.
    Then you roll your damage with (most often like 5 d6:es or such), and if that value goes over 20, you roll a d10 to see what critical damage you get. Like fracture, severed artery, spine, brain, heart or whatever... The criticals are different depending on where you hit of course).

The entire game is like that, so the fights are really time-consuming, meaning that you usually only fight a little bit. The rest of the game is social.
    That's how I LOVE it.

Hmm...

I really want to give DMing another chance but I was so terrible at it last time (See post 10). It really does require a storyteller personality~
    Not to mention I probably scared away most of my potential players. >_<

Not really expecting a reply. But would any of you happen to know of any GMless RPG formats? I'd be interested in trying that out with my girlfriend, or another person one day.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I fall into the hate camp, at least so far. I liked the idea of it in theory but when I finally tried it with some friends who play regularly, I literally wanted to hurt myself after about 20 minutes I was so excruciatingly bored. They seemingly had fun and played for a few hours after I gave up on trying to make it fun, so I don't think it was the fault of the DM or whoever, I dunno. So so so SO boring, and that's coming from someone who devours fantasy novels and used to play magic cards for fun (and still have some fairly nerdy hobbies, although not the extremes)
    -end of thread-

Well my first experience of D&D wasnt actually the game, it was a figure of fun or abuse here, something that rich nerds might be into, there was of course the Dungeons and Dragons TV series, the cartoon but most people didnt link it with the board game.

Then there were the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, they were much more popular in the UK, and ran to a number of different series (the fighting fantasy label itself was really copyright for Ian Living Stone and Steve Jackson's books) including the Way of The Tiger books which made it into Spectrum and Commodore games (not really related to the books) and Lone Wolf and Grey Star series, which were kind of a medieval romance with monastic knights fighting Lovecraft's Elder Gods.

I had my favourites but it wasnt until the Games Workshop arose in the UK with Heroquest, Spacehulk, Battlemasters and later the many, many spin offs and even the Middle Earth/Lord of The Rings battle games.

I wasnt really into those, I read the White Dwarf books and loved all the collectables and models but I still am a fan of the fighting fantasy game books. We did make up maps on paper and play our own version of D&D at school though.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I fall into the hate camp, at least so far. I liked the idea of it in theory but when I finally tried it with some friends who play regularly, I literally wanted to hurt myself after about 20 minutes I was so excruciatingly bored. They seemingly had fun and played for a few hours after I gave up on trying to make it fun, so I don't think it was the fault of the DM or whoever, I dunno. So so so SO boring, and that's coming from someone who devours fantasy novels and used to play magic cards for fun (and still have some fairly nerdy hobbies, although not the extremes)
    I guess it depends on the person, and it also depends on the friends one is playing with.

Sometimes the game session itself (in terms of plot advancement) was frustrating and not as productive as I would hope; but I have some really wonderful memories about crazy stuff people did inside the game, and the fun we had laughing at things as they unfolded, and there was this big sense of weaving this story together, as a group/ensemble, each contributing what we could. But I can see how some might find it boring/not fun, it just is what it is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft