4 15.38%
  • Voting for the sake of it.

3 11.54%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Always wanted to participate in a D&D game but no one within a 100 mile radius has ever played it.

Ginkgo

I love it, but I tend to get obsessive about the potential of my characters. It's a great platform for daydreaming and keeping yourself occupied when there's nothing to do or you're bored. Also, it facilitates a sense of imagination that video games would otherwise force-feed you through a siphon. It's a similar sort of imagination required to be immersed in a book, but because you dictate the actions and details of the "universe", it's usually more rewarding for those with a creative spark.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

I love playing DnD, but havent played in years. I just don't know anybody who plays/could be a dm
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have played for years, and really enjoyed it, once my SO and I set up our own group/campaign. Prior to that, he played with a bunch of oddball guys in someone's basement. They drank bad beer, ate cheese curls, and ran largely hack & slash campaigns. No way I was going to sign up for that. He set up his own world, though, and a modified rule set, and off we went. I liken the experience to writing a novel by committee. Each player is responsible for one of the main characters, while the DM controls the setting, other characters, and broad outlines of plot. I hate getting bogged down in the rules, and prefer to focus on character development. We have had some quite good dialogues in our sessions, and much humor as well.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Fourteen years ago, I was home on spring break when my closest friends (still in high school) asked me to step in as guest DM. The impromptu adventure I'd scribbled between dinnertime and seven-thirty lasted about twenty sessions over the next three years, the group numbering eight players at its height. My emphasis was on story, setting and character development: game mechanics were simply to keep things unpredictable. When I had half a dozen people believing in my world, some real magic happened. Wonderful times.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I've got fond memories of playing DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) with my history teacher and a bunch of school friends. Our first campaign literally started off with us attacking each other in a bar, because we were so bad at the whole getting to initial phase of introducing characters to each other. 5+ Years later, our party has pretty much developed the line "Cut the crap. Join the party" since we're still pretty awkward with the whole introductions.

Anyhow it doesn't have to be dungeons and dragons. I've heard there are alot of alternative systems, some that don't even require a game master/dungeon master to carry the storyline. But... How many people here play roleplaying games online or in real life?

There appears to be several different camps in the roleplaying arena though. Some that like to focus purely on the storytelling, while others that like the feel of dice-rolling mechanics and collecting stuff. Over time I've found myself moving more towards the roleplaying aspect (with minor elements of dice-rolling) in order to capture the feeling that I'm playing an RPG rather than that I'm just in a story. But I know there are others that hate it when there's a large element of story without any combat/skill check.

So which camps do people usually fall into here? What sort of combinations create the perfect roleplaying game for yourself?
    I just started playing D&D and I heart it. The group I play with is quite silly and ungainly (there's like 9 of us?!) though. So apart from 'flavor text' we don't even really have time to get into story/roleplaying if we want to have actual gameplay time. That's pretty much alright with me, I'm not much of a storyteller.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFP

Roleplaying has its place in DD, but if you are playing a lighter quicker tabletop like the werewolf chaser arkham asylum, keep your character in your head.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have to say I highly enjoy it.. the only issues I've ever had are with a few guys not really knowing how to interact with female characters in the game. This got better with a more mature group of people though.

I'm playing Warhammer right now, a gritter and darker world than D&Ds, and it's amazing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Never have played, and this is an issue where Fe is going to predominate over Ne in my judgment.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I play a tabletop RPG called EON.
    Too bad it's only available in Swedish, since it is one of the coolest fantasy worlds I have *EVER* encountered and by far the best system in terms of realism, as well.
    That means you have like a crapload of different social, physical, mental and whatnot skills, nine different attributes
    (Strength, dexterity, endurance, personality, psyche, will, knowledge, sight and hearing) that are determined by dice rolls and five attributes (honor, loyalty, sexual drive, aggressiveness, faith and generosity) which you determine yourself.
    The game world is called Mundana, and it is inhabited largely by humans of different races. There are everything from elves to dragons and demons, though.

The world is VERY rich in details. Almost every little dot on this map has information available, and there are entire books about most countries, classes and races.

These are at least some of the books available:

These are just most *accessory* books. The bigass player's handbook and game master's playbook... Well, those have a LOT of information, as well. And a few other accessory books.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come