• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is anime so terrible?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
At it's best though... I'm willing to overlook the failings of it's lesser iterations.

[YOUTUBE="FAYCIg3J7co"]Samurai Champloo[/YOUTUBE]

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't even say that it's a style exactly. I really don't think the word should be taken any more seriously than 'animation from Japan'. The bulk of it does have a lot of conventions and a similar visual style. There's that Disney derivative style and for the TV shows a serial style storytelling. The same goes for American animation. Most of it will be Disney and ripoffs and the TV shows will be Saturday morning cartoons. Even so, along with He-Man and The Little Mermaid, there's Heavy Metal and The Simpsons.

Exactly. Disney isn't a different medium, it's a style.

Every Pixar film is better than any anime I've ever seen. Except Cars of course. Why'd they make a sequel to that dreck?

R

RDF

From the little bit of anime that I’ve seen, I think the problem here (some people liking it vs. some people not liking it) is mainly just an age thing.

Anime = teen soap operas. Simple plots, kid protagonists, first love, first kiss, first sex (first rape), etc. I watched the movie “Death Note” just to get a taste, and it was Disney fare with sex and violence. The adult characters in the movie were all pushed out of the way as ineffectual and just served as background coloring, and a bunch of teen/young adult characters were all put in charge with the justification that “Well, they’re exceptional kids, so let’s let put them in charge.” It’s a Disney justification: Empower the kiddie characters, and the kiddies in the audience will watch and fall in love with them.

The Death Note movie was dreadful, but there was no reason for me personally to resent it: It was a teen movie for teens. I just wasn’t the target audience.

I think resentment arises when teens try to carry their favorite teen characters into adult conversations and insist that their favorite teen anime character has something to say about adult life. Or conversely, I think resentment arises when adults try to share in the fun of teen entertainment and then get repulsed when they find they can’t get into it. Some adults take it poorly when they’re reminded that they’re no longer kids and really can’t enjoy kiddie forms of entertainment anymore.

This message board has a lot of college-age members, so you get a lot of cross-over: Some older teens still clinging to their love for anime characters, as well as some young or even older adults who are smarting because they can’t join in the excitement for this teen genre. Hence the hate.

Some anime is good quality, and some of it is poor quality. But ultimately the bottom line is that teens are the target audience. Might as well be arguing about Justin Bieber (who already came up at least once in this thread) or Spongebob Squarepants.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^
I see we've got a too old for cartoons person here.

@Disco
I haven't seen the series, I'll have to try it out someday. My immediate impulse it to post something I really like and then this will turn into another "My fav Anime series" thread and then the non fans will roll their eyes. :D

The other problem is making recommendations. A lot of people suck at it. Most people just know they really like something, so it follows everyone in the world will like it. It's not often that a hater wants to see if there's something more to it, I know there's more than one person who'll suggest [Insert fav Anime Here] without taking anything about the other person into account.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. Disney isn't a different medium, it's a style.

Every Pixar film is better than any anime I've ever seen. Except Cars of course. Why'd they make a sequel to that dreck?

Can you tell me what you've seen? Just curious. Lasseter is a huge fan of some Japanese Animation.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you tell me what you've seen? Just curious. Lasseter is a huge fan of some Japanese Animation.

Random series, Akira, plenty of Miyazaki, late night movies on cable networks... I don't remember them all.

Let me be clear, I find some of it okay, even good, but nothing great.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Random series, Akira, plenty of Miyazaki, late night movies on cable networks... I don't remember them all.

Let me be clear, I find some of it okay, even good, but nothing great.

Miyazaki movies are the only movie format anime that I like, I like them better than the Pixar movies. What turns you off on them? I find that most anime movies, especially ones based on series suck unless you just happen to be a fan.

R

RDF

I see we've got a too old for cartoons person here.

At least I admit it. :)

Some people don't want to admit they're getting too old for teen entertainments. But you can see the frustration coming out as they find it more and more difficult to bridge the gap with each new teen fad that arises.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At least I admit it. :)

Some people don't want to admit they're getting too old for teen entertainments. But you can see the frustration coming out as they find it more and more difficult to bridge the gap with each new teen fad.

I will admit that I accept no arbritary cutoffs on the type of entertainment I enjoy. Although there are somethings that you can only enjoy at a certain age, and those can be fun when introducing to your kids. And, some stuff is timeless.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Miyazaki movies are the only movie format anime that I like, I like them better than the Pixar movies. What turns you off on them? I find that most anime movies, especially ones based on series suck unless you just happen to be a fan.

The plot and characterizations don't make sense. For example, the happy ending in Spirited Away seems totally forced and ruins all the dramatic tension that came before. One of the worst endings ever. It was gorgeous to look at though.

This isn't cultural, BTW. I love Japanese live action films.

R

RDF

And, some stuff is timeless.

Some stuff has something for everyone. The old Looney Tunes cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc.) had adult humor in them, things kids wouldn't catch, sly winks at adult cultural references of the day. The idea was that adults were in the audience chaperoning the kids, so they should be able to have a few laughs too.

But nothing is truly timeless. Even Bugs Bunny gets dated and boring. Sooner or later everyone grows up. Sad but true.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The plot and characterizations don't make sense. For example, the happy ending in Spirited Away seems totally forced and ruins all the dramatic tension that came before. One of the worst endings ever. It was gorgeous to look at though.

This isn't cultural, BTW. I love Japanese live action films.

Well, I get it, he has a specific storyteller style and usually his plots follow the same pattern. It follows if you don't care for one, you won't like most of his movies.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I get it, he has a specific storyteller style and usually his plots follow the same pattern. It follows if you don't care for one, you won't like most of his movies.

I guess... forced behaviors bother me. People don't act so bizarrely.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some stuff has something for everyone. The old Looney Tunes cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc.) had adult humor in them, things kids wouldn't catch, sly winks at adult cultural references of the day. The idea was that adults were in the audience chaperoning the kids, so they should be able to have a few laughs too.

But nothing is truly timeless. Even Bugs Bunny gets dated and boring. Sooner or later everyone grows up. Sad but true.

Lol. I hate that sly wink, slip past the kids humor. Originally Loonytoons was for adults, it wasn't for kids specifically. It's all in your personal perception and judgment. People still love old WB cartoons from the 40's. If you don't, that's fine, just understand that's only your prerogative.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess... forced behaviors bother me. People don't act so bizarrely.

As far as this goes.. I can't comment on it. People's behavior patterns surprise and baffle me often.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as this goes.. I can't comment on it. People's behavior patterns surprise and baffle me often.

They can, because you don't know everything that is going on with them. A storyteller should not fall prey to this problem. He or she should not betray the audience like that.

So you admit that anime is nonsensical? I'm glad.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They can, because you don't know everything that is going on with them. A storyteller should not fall prey to this problem. He or she should not betray the audience like that.

Thinking back to Spirited Away. The only thing jarring that I'm recalling is the sudden reconcilliation of those large headed Carrollian sisters. That whole bathhouse universe I viewed in part as a creation to help Chihiro (?) get past her timidity, everybody did what was necessary, they played their part. So, I was fine with it.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

A lot of things make perfect sense in Japanese culture though :)

Things that are normal in one culture could be seen as strange in another. I think you need to have a fairly good understanding of Japanese culture to see anime for what it really is

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of things make perfect sense in Japanese culture though :)

Things that are normal in one culture could be seen as strange in another. I think you need to have a fairly good understanding of Japanese culture to see anime for what it really is

So you didn't read my other posts. I said I enjoy (and even love) live action Japanese films.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh my, how did I ever miss the existence of this thread?

Anime is a medium in terms of collective art style, but in of itself is comprised of various genres as well as various degress of quality. Yes, certain anime is terrible; light-hearted fan-service laten fluff that doesn't take itself seriously is only going to appeal to a small minorty of people who can handle it (I myself actually loathe this kind of anime and don't care much for it). But for every two or three crap anime produced there exists an anime that is truly spectacular in its whole:

-Trigun
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Cowboy Bebop
-Darker Than Black
-Blassreiter
-Death Note (at least the first half anyway)
-Beck
-Samurai Champloo
-Gurren Lagann
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Monster

To say that all (or even most) 'anime is terrible' is nothing more than a broad generalization; and those who whole-heartedly beileve that all anime is terrible end up carrying a bias against any and all anime without any real consideration for the specific anime itself.

But then again, I suppose anime is like foreign food; it's appeal isn't for everyone.