• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is anime so terrible?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?

your last few sentences are in gross contradiction to the rest of your post, but could you be more specific about what you don't like about anime. cliche and pretentious are a litle vague.
PS: proud to be a pretentious anime fan :newwink:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:O IT'S QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill the bastard!

I love anime. Things are only interesting if you know what the genre is, and the expectations associated with it. An example would be this season's Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has been nothing short of a revelation for the genre (magical girls). Same thing for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni in its own genres (moe, school). I love subversions of different genres, but similarly, a particularly well-done example of a genre can also bring its own joy.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'm just in it for the Cosplay orgies.

Edit: oops, I meant to quote shortnsweet before posting that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I love anime. Things are only interesting if you know what the genre is, and the expectations associated with it. An example would be this season's Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has been nothing short of a revelation for the genre (magical girls). Same thing for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni in its own genres (moe, school). I love subversions of different genres, but similarly, a particularly well-done example of a genre can also bring its own joy.

Agreed.

G

Ginkgo

Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?

Even if anime was all part of the same sub-genre, we would have to take into account the differences between Japanese entertainment and American entertainment. If what you recently viewed is confined to one sub-genre, your judgment of an entire industry is premature, and your judgment of the people who enjoy it is foolish.

Lien

hardly human

there was a time in my life, when i was a child, when anime saved me. i had nothing to do in life, no hope, no future, nothing. but on the television, anime was something to look forward to. there was always a story. i wanted to see, what happened next. in just a week. i only lived, to see what happen next. you could say it was a very sad existence.

i know that you know there are good anime out there, where the mangakas are imaginative, have good taste and treat their characters humanely, with love and respect. what comes from the heart, goes to the heart.

not most mangakas.

they get away with the exploitation and assassination of their characters, for technique, because their characters are not "real". just a cheap plot device. over-sexualized and over-idealized, until their characters cry from humilation. over-use the death of the character, until we become desensitized and dehumanized. they use cheap tools and imitate, while they laugh at the heart. how can it be original?

you're right, it is an embarrassment, to what it is to be human.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find anime unremarkable. I neither relate to the emphatic hate nor emphatic love that is felt for it. I don't know how it became so polarizing. It seems to have an average rate of quality comparable to western work.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never watched a single piece of anime that I'd rate as "great". Most of it does indeed suck.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some are just plain weird, some are stupid, some are terrible, some(most) are childish, some are tolerable, some have their shining moments, some are pretty cool and well made, some are magnificently awesome.

Anime isn't 'one genre'.. Anime is really broad and I bet that for everyone there's at least one anime they'd love.

If you don't like anime or the animes you've seen, tell me what about the anime put you off and I may be able to point you to an anime that has none of the crap you disliked. :D

Some of my favorites are Casshern Sins, Claymore and Seirei no Moribito, and none of those are childish or pretentious much at all.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never watched a single piece of anime that I'd rate as "great". Most of it does indeed suck.

I've never watched a single piece of anime period. (Not a full one anyway, just clips I guess.) I don't have any interest, just looking at anime faces and thinking I might have to sit for more than 10 minutes watching them in action is enough to make me realize that I'm probably not into it.

I've quoted this about 6 times on this forum already, my favorite anime conversation with an anime lover.

Me: "What do you do at an anime convention?"
Them: "What DON'T you do at an anime convention?"

Super inapplicable here, but I feel compelled to mention it in every anime thread.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find anime unremarkable. I neither relate to the emphatic hate nor emphatic love that is felt for it. I don't know how it became so polarizing. It seems to have an average rate of quality comparable to western work.

I don't understand why it's so polarizing either. I personally hate anime and have no idea why. It's just unjustified. I could just be like you and not care. What ever happened to Ghostface (the type c member) by the way? He was cool.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, most people get bombarded with anime like dragonball z, one piece, gintama and the likes. If anime's like that make up peoples opinion, then I fully understand the polarizing effect. No offense to people that like those anime, they are the kind of anime you really have to love in some way or they are the suck. :p

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand why it's so polarizing either. I personally hate anime and have no idea why. It's just unjustified. I could just be like you and not care. What ever happened to Ghostface (the type c member) by the way? He was cool.

I would be more blasé about anime if the fanboys would shut up about it. There are way more sports fans than anime fans, but you don't see countless threads on sports and sports avatars out the yin yang.

Every time someone starts a pop culture and MBTI thread, some fanboy has to start spouting off about Death Note like everyone is familiar with it. STFU!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be more blasé about anime if the fanboys would shut up about it. There are way more sports fans than anime fans, but you don't see countless threads on sports and sports avatars out the yin yang.

Every time someone starts a pop culture and MBTI thread, some fanboy has to start spouting off about Death Note like everyone is familiar with it. STFU!

Actually, quite a few sports threads, the difference is that in sports threads, those without interest in the sports don't bitch about it. Whilest those that don't like anime seems to have to bitch about it. ;D

Within

Permabanned
so09bb.gif

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, quite a few sports threads, the difference is that in sports threads, those without interest in the sports don't bitch about it. Whilest those that don't like anime seems to have to bitch about it. ;D

I just ran into this on an NF thread:

as corny as it sounds, I think Yugi from Yugioh is an exaggerated look into the psyche of an NFP male

WTF? WHAT THE FUCK???

I'm going to start bringing up Peyton Manning in every other damn thread.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just ran into this on an NF thread:

WTF? WHAT THE FUCK???

I'm going to start bringing up Peyton Manning in every other damn thread.

Well, elfboy is an exception. But if you're jealous, you can be whateve exceptoin you want to be as well. I'm not bothered by Peyton Manning remarks, it's not like I know who he is anyway. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, elfboy is an exception. But if you're jealous, you can be whateve exceptoin you want to be as well. I'm not bothered by Peyton Manning remarks, it's not like I know who he is anyway. :)

I make the Manning face every time I see an anime reference.

manning-face.jpg

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that Elfboy is the exception. Not every anime fan walks around referring to anime, but it seems really common to me in real life as well as here- in the few anime freaks I've encountered. It's just so disturbing to me to idolize/ try to personify cartoon characters. And, again, I know that sounds ridiculous in itself, I don't know why it's so disturbing. It looks like cartoons to me. I know that they are supposed to tell some story that people are supposed to find true in their own lives. Someone else referred to the band "Coheed and Cambria" in the same way. I just can't make that jump. It's just escapism at the end of the day, and everybody needs that in some way. (Some people need American Idol. Some people need star wars, some people need soap operas, some people need Anime, I guess.)