User Tag List

First 678910 Last

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    And, some stuff is timeless.
    Some stuff has something for everyone. The old Looney Tunes cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc.) had adult humor in them, things kids wouldn't catch, sly winks at adult cultural references of the day. The idea was that adults were in the audience chaperoning the kids, so they should be able to have a few laughs too.

But nothing is truly timeless. Even Bugs Bunny gets dated and boring. Sooner or later everyone grows up. Sad but true.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The plot and characterizations don't make sense. For example, the happy ending in Spirited Away seems totally forced and ruins all the dramatic tension that came before. One of the worst endings ever. It was gorgeous to look at though.

This isn't cultural, BTW. I love Japanese live action films.
    Well, I get it, he has a specific storyteller style and usually his plots follow the same pattern. It follows if you don't care for one, you won't like most of his movies.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Well, I get it, he has a specific storyteller style and usually his plots follow the same pattern. It follows if you don't care for one, you won't like most of his movies.
    I guess... forced behaviors bother me. People don't act so bizarrely.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Some stuff has something for everyone. The old Looney Tunes cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc.) had adult humor in them, things kids wouldn't catch, sly winks at adult cultural references of the day. The idea was that adults were in the audience chaperoning the kids, so they should be able to have a few laughs too.

But nothing is truly timeless. Even Bugs Bunny gets dated and boring. Sooner or later everyone grows up. Sad but true.
    Lol. I hate that sly wink, slip past the kids humor. Originally Loonytoons was for adults, it wasn't for kids specifically. It's all in your personal perception and judgment. People still love old WB cartoons from the 40's. If you don't, that's fine, just understand that's only your prerogative.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess... forced behaviors bother me. People don't act so bizarrely.
    As far as this goes.. I can't comment on it. People's behavior patterns surprise and baffle me often.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

As far as this goes.. I can't comment on it. People's behavior patterns surprise and baffle me often.
    They can, because you don't know everything that is going on with them. A storyteller should not fall prey to this problem. He or she should not betray the audience like that.

So you admit that anime is nonsensical? I'm glad.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

They can, because you don't know everything that is going on with them. A storyteller should not fall prey to this problem. He or she should not betray the audience like that.

Thinking back to Spirited Away. The only thing jarring that I'm recalling is the sudden reconcilliation of those large headed Carrollian sisters. That whole bathhouse universe I viewed in part as a creation to help Chihiro (?) get past her timidity, everybody did what was necessary, they played their part. So, I was fine with it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A lot of things make perfect sense in Japanese culture though

Things that are normal in one culture could be seen as strange in another. I think you need to have a fairly good understanding of Japanese culture to see anime for what it really is
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    A lot of things make perfect sense in Japanese culture though

Things that are normal in one culture could be seen as strange in another. I think you need to have a fairly good understanding of Japanese culture to see anime for what it really is
    So you didn't read my other posts. I said I enjoy (and even love) live action Japanese films.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh my, how did I ever miss the existence of this thread?

Anime is a medium in terms of collective art style, but in of itself is comprised of various genres as well as various degress of quality. Yes, certain anime is terrible; light-hearted fan-service laten fluff that doesn't take itself seriously is only going to appeal to a small minorty of people who can handle it (I myself actually loathe this kind of anime and don't care much for it). But for every two or three crap anime produced there exists an anime that is truly spectacular in its whole:

-Trigun
    -Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Darker Than Black
    -Blassreiter
    -Death Note (at least the first half anyway)
    -Beck
    -Samurai Champloo
    -Gurren Lagann
    -Full Metal Alchemist
    -Neon Genesis Evangelion
    -Monster

To say that all (or even most) 'anime is terrible' is nothing more than a broad generalization; and those who whole-heartedly beileve that all anime is terrible end up carrying a bias against any and all anime without any real consideration for the specific anime itself.

But then again, I suppose anime is like foreign food; it's appeal isn't for everyone.