User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

At it's best though... I'm willing to overlook the failings of it's lesser iterations.

[YOUTUBE="FAYCIg3J7co"]Samurai Champloo[/YOUTUBE]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I wouldn't even say that it's a style exactly. I really don't think the word should be taken any more seriously than 'animation from Japan'. The bulk of it does have a lot of conventions and a similar visual style. There's that Disney derivative style and for the TV shows a serial style storytelling. The same goes for American animation. Most of it will be Disney and ripoffs and the TV shows will be Saturday morning cartoons. Even so, along with He-Man and The Little Mermaid, there's Heavy Metal and The Simpsons.
    Exactly. Disney isn't a different medium, it's a style.

Every Pixar film is better than any anime I've ever seen. Except Cars of course. Why'd they make a sequel to that dreck?

RDF

From the little bit of anime that I’ve seen, I think the problem here (some people liking it vs. some people not liking it) is mainly just an age thing.

Anime = teen soap operas. Simple plots, kid protagonists, first love, first kiss, first sex (first rape), etc. I watched the movie “Death Note” just to get a taste, and it was Disney fare with sex and violence. The adult characters in the movie were all pushed out of the way as ineffectual and just served as background coloring, and a bunch of teen/young adult characters were all put in charge with the justification that “Well, they’re exceptional kids, so let’s let put them in charge.” It’s a Disney justification: Empower the kiddie characters, and the kiddies in the audience will watch and fall in love with them.

The Death Note movie was dreadful, but there was no reason for me personally to resent it: It was a teen movie for teens. I just wasn’t the target audience.

I think resentment arises when teens try to carry their favorite teen characters into adult conversations and insist that their favorite teen anime character has something to say about adult life. Or conversely, I think resentment arises when adults try to share in the fun of teen entertainment and then get repulsed when they find they can’t get into it. Some adults take it poorly when they’re reminded that they’re no longer kids and really can’t enjoy kiddie forms of entertainment anymore.

This message board has a lot of college-age members, so you get a lot of cross-over: Some older teens still clinging to their love for anime characters, as well as some young or even older adults who are smarting because they can’t join in the excitement for this teen genre. Hence the hate.

Some anime is good quality, and some of it is poor quality. But ultimately the bottom line is that teens are the target audience. Might as well be arguing about Justin Bieber (who already came up at least once in this thread) or Spongebob Squarepants.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^^^
    I see we've got a too old for cartoons person here.

@Disco
    I haven't seen the series, I'll have to try it out someday. My immediate impulse it to post something I really like and then this will turn into another "My fav Anime series" thread and then the non fans will roll their eyes.

The other problem is making recommendations. A lot of people suck at it. Most people just know they really like something, so it follows everyone in the world will like it. It's not often that a hater wants to see if there's something more to it, I know there's more than one person who'll suggest [Insert fav Anime Here] without taking anything about the other person into account.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Exactly. Disney isn't a different medium, it's a style.

Every Pixar film is better than any anime I've ever seen. Except Cars of course. Why'd they make a sequel to that dreck?
    Can you tell me what you've seen? Just curious. Lasseter is a huge fan of some Japanese Animation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Can you tell me what you've seen? Just curious. Lasseter is a huge fan of some Japanese Animation.
    Random series, Akira, plenty of Miyazaki, late night movies on cable networks... I don't remember them all.

Let me be clear, I find some of it okay, even good, but nothing great.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Random series, Akira, plenty of Miyazaki, late night movies on cable networks... I don't remember them all.

Let me be clear, I find some of it okay, even good, but nothing great.
    Miyazaki movies are the only movie format anime that I like, I like them better than the Pixar movies. What turns you off on them? I find that most anime movies, especially ones based on series suck unless you just happen to be a fan.

RDF

I see we've got a too old for cartoons person here.
    At least I admit it.

Some people don't want to admit they're getting too old for teen entertainments. But you can see the frustration coming out as they find it more and more difficult to bridge the gap with each new teen fad that arises.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    At least I admit it.

Some people don't want to admit they're getting too old for teen entertainments. But you can see the frustration coming out as they find it more and more difficult to bridge the gap with each new teen fad.
    I will admit that I accept no arbritary cutoffs on the type of entertainment I enjoy. Although there are somethings that you can only enjoy at a certain age, and those can be fun when introducing to your kids. And, some stuff is timeless.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Miyazaki movies are the only movie format anime that I like, I like them better than the Pixar movies. What turns you off on them? I find that most anime movies, especially ones based on series suck unless you just happen to be a fan.
    The plot and characterizations don't make sense. For example, the happy ending in Spirited Away seems totally forced and ruins all the dramatic tension that came before. One of the worst endings ever. It was gorgeous to look at though.

This isn't cultural, BTW. I love Japanese live action films.