User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find anime unremarkable. I neither relate to the emphatic hate nor emphatic love that is felt for it. I don't know how it became so polarizing. It seems to have an average rate of quality comparable to western work.
    I'm gonna second this. I've seen anime I found really dumb, some I've really liked, and several that were more than anything unremarkable. And, among those groups, I also found most (not quite all) to be a bit overrated, especially by my fair number of friends who are anime-fanboys (the the extent they are constantly on me to go to this . . . Non Des Kon or NDK convention about anime they always get a hotel room for?). Of course, I guess I could say the same about people who are dismissive of all anime as underrating it.

So yeah, it's one of those things that seems to inspire bizarre devotion or unreasonable, blind hate (sort of like, say, Twilight does). I tend to fall in the middle.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'm gonna second this. I've seen anime I found really dumb, some I've really liked, and several that were more than anything unremarkable. And, among those groups, I also found most (not quite all) to be a bit overrated, especially by my fair number of friends who are anime-fanboys (the the extent they are constantly on me to go to this . . . Non Des Kon or NDK convention about anime they always get a hotel room for?). Of course, I guess I could say the same about people who are dismissive of all anime as underrating it.

So yeah, it's one of those things that seems to inspire bizarre devotion or unreasonable, blind hate (sort of like, say, Twilight does). I tend to fall in the middle.
    People just need to be a bit more picky and look for an anime that seems interesting.

I've seen anime where not many people seem to know about and I've seen anime where everyone seems to know about. I've also avoided anime where everyone seems to know about.

The anime itself doesn't need to look all fantastic. I've seen some more simplistic and softer styles of animation done that I very much liked... like Shouwa Monogatari, Zettai Shounen[first 12 episodes],) and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin with stories that were pretty cool. If I were to ask someone if they had watch any of these series, chances are that I'll get a big "WHAT?"

Contrast that to other styles like Lucky Star (cute) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (your typical school anime)... ehhh not enough of a story to like it much. They are more like slapstick and satirical based. And apparently, people seem to like these.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Another good anime to see is Mushishi. It's gorgeous.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I enjoy some anime, including some that is very cheesy. But if this question were asked earnestly

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Why is anime so terrible?
    my answer would be essentially because it is kitsch and derivative. But formulaic entertainments surround us. I'm not the arbiter of taste here to judge what moves other people. I'm glad for whatever joy fans find in it. They don't strike me as pretentious. I do think anime fans can reveal themselves to be especially engrossed when they reference it in a majority of their comments. Yet I recognize that on the forum, I too reveal myself to have some esoteric interests that might strike others as junk. Plus for them it could be that community of knowers phenomenon that binds fans of celebrity pop culture gossip and other types of soap operas.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

*shrug* I still think the haters don't know what they're talking about. It's like hating movies because you saw Gigli. It's a medium, not even a genre. Unfortunately the fandom can be obnoxious if you're not on board, and it's really hard to find stuff that's worth watching without going through them first.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    *shrug* I still think the haters don't know what they're talking about. It's like hating movies because you saw Gigli. It's a medium, not even a genre. Unfortunately the fandom can be obnoxious if you're not on board, and it's really hard to find stuff that's worth watching without going through them first.
    Exactly.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Anime seems like something you'd have to invest a lot of time into watching in order to "follow it." Too much investment, too little return.

And the more rabid fans can be unsavory as well.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I disagree. Anime is not a completely separate artform like film, it is a genre. It is a style of animation, often originating from Japan. It has certain characteristics that distinguish it from other animation. You can spot anime by these very characteristics, despite the fact that it shares many other similarities with other animation genres.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I disagree. Anime is not a completely separate artform like film, it is a genre. It is a style of animation, often originating from Japan. It has certain characteristics that distinguish it from other animation. You can spot anime by these very characteristics, despite the fact that it shares many other similarities with other animation genres.
    I wouldn't even say that it's a style exactly. I really don't think the word should be taken any more seriously than 'animation from Japan'. The bulk of it does have a lot of conventions and a similar visual style. There's that Disney derivative style and for the TV shows a serial style storytelling. The same goes for American animation. Most of it will be Disney and ripoffs and the TV shows will be Saturday morning cartoons. Even so, along with He-Man and The Little Mermaid, there's Heavy Metal and The Simpsons.

figsfiggyfigs

It isn't.