Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?
    your last few sentences are in gross contradiction to the rest of your post, but could you be more specific about what you don't like about anime. cliche and pretentious are a litle vague.
    PS: proud to be a pretentious anime fan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

:O IT'S QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill the bastard!

I love anime. Things are only interesting if you know what the genre is, and the expectations associated with it. An example would be this season's Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has been nothing short of a revelation for the genre (magical girls). Same thing for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni in its own genres (moe, school). I love subversions of different genres, but similarly, a particularly well-done example of a genre can also bring its own joy.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I'm just in it for the Cosplay orgies.

Edit: oops, I meant to quote shortnsweet before posting that.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    I love anime. Things are only interesting if you know what the genre is, and the expectations associated with it. An example would be this season's Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which has been nothing short of a revelation for the genre (magical girls). Same thing for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni in its own genres (moe, school). I love subversions of different genres, but similarly, a particularly well-done example of a genre can also bring its own joy.
    Agreed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?
    Even if anime was all part of the same sub-genre, we would have to take into account the differences between Japanese entertainment and American entertainment. If what you recently viewed is confined to one sub-genre, your judgment of an entire industry is premature, and your judgment of the people who enjoy it is foolish.

Default hardly human

there was a time in my life, when i was a child, when anime saved me. i had nothing to do in life, no hope, no future, nothing. but on the television, anime was something to look forward to. there was always a story. i wanted to see, what happened next. in just a week. i only lived, to see what happen next. you could say it was a very sad existence.

i know that you know there are good anime out there, where the mangakas are imaginative, have good taste and treat their characters humanely, with love and respect. what comes from the heart, goes to the heart.

not most mangakas.

they get away with the exploitation and assassination of their characters, for technique, because their characters are not "real". just a cheap plot device. over-sexualized and over-idealized, until their characters cry from humilation. over-use the death of the character, until we become desensitized and dehumanized. they use cheap tools and imitate, while they laugh at the heart. how can it be original?

you're right, it is an embarrassment, to what it is to be human.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I find anime unremarkable. I neither relate to the emphatic hate nor emphatic love that is felt for it. I don't know how it became so polarizing. It seems to have an average rate of quality comparable to western work.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I've never watched a single piece of anime that I'd rate as "great". Most of it does indeed suck.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Some are just plain weird, some are stupid, some are terrible, some(most) are childish, some are tolerable, some have their shining moments, some are pretty cool and well made, some are magnificently awesome.

Anime isn't 'one genre'.. Anime is really broad and I bet that for everyone there's at least one anime they'd love.

If you don't like anime or the animes you've seen, tell me what about the anime put you off and I may be able to point you to an anime that has none of the crap you disliked.

Some of my favorites are Casshern Sins, Claymore and Seirei no Moribito, and none of those are childish or pretentious much at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I've never watched a single piece of anime that I'd rate as "great". Most of it does indeed suck.
    I've never watched a single piece of anime period. (Not a full one anyway, just clips I guess.) I don't have any interest, just looking at anime faces and thinking I might have to sit for more than 10 minutes watching them in action is enough to make me realize that I'm probably not into it.

I've quoted this about 6 times on this forum already, my favorite anime conversation with an anime lover.

Me: "What do you do at an anime convention?"
    Them: "What DON'T you do at an anime convention?"

Super inapplicable here, but I feel compelled to mention it in every anime thread.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.