User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 130

  1. #11
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Seemed more like venting than trolling to me. I have the same frustrated/angry reaction to things that are wildly popular but hold no interest for me. It drives me nuts trying to figure out the appeal, and when I can't, I have to get it out of my system. Not the best reaction, perhaps, but there you have it.
    His posts in general seemed like he was kind of losing his shit everywhere. I started to think that he was just doing some parody of a pissed off person. Whatever.

    Either way, anime is just another entertainment medium. Not merely some genre or specialized category containing bugeyed schoolgirls getting raped by giant squid. It's an entire medium. Full of different genres and subgenres within it, just like music or film. It's unlikely that it could all suck. There's a good chance that something everyone has enjoyed at some point in their lives has actually been represented in anime. Whether it's adaptations of Dumas or Dickens, horror, stories that examine suicide, smalltown life, etc.. I mean, many of the prevailing themes you'd see in other stories would be in anime. There's quite a lot juvenile stuff that I doubt many would enjoy, but that isn't everything. Just like "Aerosmith" isn't all encompassing and representative of everything in rock music.

    Anyways. Good luck. If you want specific suggestions, the best kind of anime is actually the ones with schoolgirls being raped by giant squid. Fuck a Dickens adaptation.

  2. #12
    man-made neptunesnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    His posts in general seemed like he was kind of losing his shit everywhere. I started to think that he was just doing some parody of a pissed off person. Whatever.

    Either way, anime is just another entertainment medium. Not merely some genre or specialized category containing bugeyed schoolgirls getting raped by giant squid. It's an entire medium. Full of different genres and subgenres within it, just like music or film. It's unlikely that it could all suck. There's a good chance that something everyone has enjoyed at some point in their lives has actually been represented in anime. Whether it's adaptations of Dumas or Dickens, horror, stories that examine suicide, smalltown life, etc.. I mean, many of the prevailing themes you'd see in other stories would be in anime. There's quite a lot juvenile stuff that I doubt many would enjoy, but that isn't everything. Just like "Aerosmith" isn't all encompassing and representative of everything in rock music.
    But your argument is so reasoned! I want to disagree (and damn all those smug anime kids from grade school to hell), but alas it seems I cannot.

    Anyways. Good luck. If you want specific suggestions, the best kind of anime is actually the ones with schoolgirls being raped by giant squid. Fuck a Dickens adaptation.
    How about schoolboys getting repeatedly anal-raped by a giant squid named Dickens? Because that right there sounds like my new jam!

  3. #13
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    How about schoolboys getting repeatedly anal-raped by a giant squid named Dickens? Because that right there sounds like my new jam!
    Brilliant! You made a bad joke better.

  4. #14
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I've enjoyed many anime.

    I do however believe liking most anime requires a healthy dose of extroverted intuition. It is the originality of the worlds that anime creates, the fantasy of it all and the storylines and morality, that aspires to me most.

    I mean, they're no oscar winning movies, and there is a dose of sillyness in just about any of them. And a lot of scenes of characters are often so out of proportion that it's just unreal and unfitting. But beyond that all are rich worlds filled with a ton of inspiration.

    You S's got your soap opera's anyways. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  5. #15
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i don't like anime either but lol @ pretentious and lacks self awareness

    you have a very well developed sense of irony
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #16
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,450

    Default

    To the OP: I agree about a lot of anime being really, really bad. It can frustrate me, sometimes, when it seems like you have to learn Japanese in order to understand certain anime because the translation is so bad, or they leave some Japanese text or Japanese puns in the English translation, confusing everyone except those who know Japanese but are still, for some reason, watching it in English.

    You do have to search around for good anime, i.e. anime that is well translated and accessible to non-fans. I recommend "Spirited Away" and everything by Satoshi Kon (I watched "Tokyo Godfathers" and loved it, and I've heard really good things about "Perfect Blue", "Millennium Actress", and "Paprika").
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  7. #17
    Senior Member chachamaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Satoshi Kon and Miyazaki =
    a cat is fine too

  8. #18
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Ok, I don't hate anime or its fans, I was just getting angry that I had to watch a fucking one minute commercial of some boring, uninspired anime bullshit before seeing 1.5-2 minute long clips from a TV show on Youtube. I'm not a fan of anime, but I don't really hate it. I posted something like this in the Anime thread in the general forum just to entice a reaction, but I don't have any particularly strong feelings about the subject. I watched Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade and liked it a lot.
    Watch Steam Boy or Sprited Away now. =.=
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  9. #19
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,450

    Default

    ^ Yes.

    Metropolis is pretty good too.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #20
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Anime has alot of fan service in it. so lots of self referencing etc. If you don't like animes in general, fan service just make it all 'more of the same' and that can be boring.
    Though you'd miss on some great pieces of art if you dismiss the genre.
    It's like every other entertainment though; you have good 'love' movies (or however they call it.. ah yes, romantic comedies) and geniunely interesting contemporary art, and yes, smart esfps.

    Open your mind and all that.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Why is INTJforum So Boring?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 443
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM
  2. [ESFP] From an ESFP: Why is everyone so surprised when I say something intelligent?!
    By KarenParker in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 05:23 AM
  3. Why is everyone so upset about AIG bonuses being contractually fufilled?
    By Venom in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM
  4. Why is it so hard to not feed the trolls?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 05:23 AM
  5. Why is this so funny?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO