User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Has anyone seen X/1999?

That's a very awesome anime (or OVA) derived from the book by Clamp.

What's FLCL btw?

Oh, and I don't understand the appeal of Naruto.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find anime unremarkable. I neither relate to the emphatic hate nor emphatic love that is felt for it. I don't know how it became so polarizing. It seems to have an average rate of quality comparable to western work.
    I'd agree with that notion. I treat it just like any other genre from any other country. People don't go around saying, "I love hollywood films!" I also wouldn't bash the genre as a whole. There are indeed some very good pieces of anime. But I treat them like individual films.

"Akira" is an amazing film, in my opinion, that just so happens to be a Japanese anime. And by the same animator, "Memories" is astonishing as well.

I like a bit of Miyazaki's films, too.

----------------------------------------
    I know I said genre, but I wanted to correct this. Anime is certainly not one genre. The point I was trying to get across, but failed to do so, is that treating Japanese anime as one genre is like treating American Hollywood films as one genre. Which is a wholly inappropriate way to go at it. Just as we have Hollywood filmmaking, the Japanese have animation that was fueled by lack of budgeting for special effects. With animation, you can do so much more. So, because of that, you have a whole world of different genres, different types of stories, different perspectives, depending upon the storyteller. So yes, there are some good ones and some bad ones. Just like Hollywood can produce some duds and some cinematic masterpieces.

"I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I know I said genre, but I wanted to correct this. Anime is certainly not one genre. The point I was trying to get across, but failed to do so, is that treating Japanese anime as one genre is like treating American Hollywood films as one genre. Which is a wholly inappropriate way to go at it. Just as we have Hollywood filmmaking, the Japanese have animation that was fueled by lack of budgeting for special effects. With animation, you can do so much more. So, because of that, you have a whole world of different genres, different types of stories, different perspectives, depending upon the storyteller. So yes, there are some good ones and some bad ones. Just like Hollywood can produce some duds and some cinematic masterpieces.
    +1000000000

The same could be said of comic books and cartoons in general. Though in their case it's more of a perception of them as "childish". The Japanese at least seem to have experimented with animation beyond a younger demographic to a greater extent than other countries.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

No, it's a genre. You can play a 5 second clip and everyone will know it's anime. You can't do that with a Hollywood film vs. a French film vs. a Japanese live action film.

Nice try fanboys!

<---- LOOK AT THAT SHIT!

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I find it cute.

I think the annoyingly long intros are redundant.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No, it's a genre. You can play a 5 second clip and everyone will know it's anime. You can't do that with a Hollywood film vs. a French film vs. a Japanese live action film.

Nice try fanboys!

<---- LOOK AT THAT SHIT!
    Did you watch the two trailers I posted? Not all Japanese animators draw in a similar style. Nor do they aim for a similar audience. Just like we have pop culture, they have a pop culture animation style, and I think that is what most people assume anime to be like. They don't all get angry with squiggly lines above their heads or happy with moon eyes.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Did you watch the two trailers I posted? Not all Japanese animators draw in a similar style. Nor do they aim for a similar audience. Just like we have pop culture, they have a pop culture animation style, and I think that is what most people assume anime to be like. They don't all get angry with squiggly lines above their heads or happy with moon eyes.
    Are you seriously trying to say Akira isn't recognizably anime? It's one of the landmark anime films. It's practically the definition of anime.

MBTI
    ENFJ

And you play a black and white film and everyone knows in a second that it's in black and white. You can play a five second clip of a science fiction film and you may not be able to tell if it's science fiction.

Style =/= Genre.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    And you play a black and white film and everyone knows in a second that it's in black and white. You can play a five second clip of a science fiction film and you may not be able to tell if it's science fiction.

Style =/= Genre.
    You can play a 5 second clip of a black & white film and tell it's in black & white.

You can play a 5 second clip of an animation film and tell it's animation.

You can play a 5 second clip of a Pixar film and tell it's Pixar.

You can play a 5 second clip of anime and tell it's anime.

Anime is genre.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Do you consider, say, the epistolary novel a genre?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge