• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Infatuation Book Club

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
What books have you read because they were recommended by someone you admired/were in love with/lusted after? I'm especially interested in books you wouldn't have chosen for yourself.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
1. Beth. High school classmate. She was the first girl I fell hard for. She became a library director.

Edward Eager, Magic by the Lake, Half Magic, etc. These are children's books. I never read kiddy lit when I was a kid (I was mainly into astronomy, space flight, and aviation), so I was catching up here. Pretty good stuff. It was fascinating to me that (1) she still read kiddy lit and (2) she was willing to admit it. Mrs. Woolf still reads kiddy lit herself.

Richard Brautigan, In Watermelon Sugar, etc. Ages 17-18 were my heyday for 1960s weird. I also read Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and others for a senior English paper, and there were others I forgot.

Joseph Heller, Catch-22. You must read this.

2. Misling, aka Mrs. Woolf. We met at college.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince. I was surprised at how touching this was. Misling compared herself to the fox and said that I had tamed her. (Awwwwwwww!)

Ursula K. Le Guin, the Earthsea trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore). I had read some Le Guin, but this was classified as Kiddy Lit and I had ignored it. Don't.

Robert Nye, Merlin. A retelling of the Arthurian legend from Merlin's point of view -- and Satan's. Bawdy, morally reprehensible, and funny as hell.

Fritz Leiber, the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories (Swords and Deviltry, Swords and Sorcery, etc.). The only sword-and-sorcery fiction I have read. Their cynical wit puts them above the rest.

Barry Hughart, the Master Li novels (Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, Eight Skilled Gentlemen). Set in ancient China with some artistic license. More cynical wit. I wish Hughart would write more.

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. A pleasant surprise. I intend to read the other HP novels but haven't got around to it.

Barbara Hambly, A Free Man of Color. A murder mystery set in the 1833 New Orleans Creole and "colored" communities. It was as alien a world to me as something out of science fiction. Fascinating.

3. shygirl. I knew her on a message board. I nearly fell for her based on her written words alone. She was into literary fiction as well as puns.

Peter Hoeg, Smilla's Sense of Snow. What makes this mystery/suspense novel is the character of Smilla, a 37-year-old single half-Greenlander-half-Dane who is an expert on snow and ice and has a personality to match.

Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things. Good, but I won't read it again.

Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace. Based on the 1843 murder case involving 16-year-old Grace Marks, an Irish immigrant to Canada. Ambiguous, sometimes appalling in a Dickensian way, a good book.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Patrick Suskind's Perfume, Auden's poetry, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, and next on my list is John Fowles' The Magus.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Patrick Suskind's Perfume, Auden's poetry, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, and next on my list is John Fowles' The Magus.

Heh you wouldnt have chosen Pratchett and Gaiman without a recommendation? Philistine!

-Geoff

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Heh you wouldnt have chosen Pratchett and Gaiman without a recommendation? Philistine!
Now, of course. Then, I was young and had never heard of the book.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Catch-22 would be on my current list of books to read, if I had one, for this reason. I'll read it eventually and see if it's worthy of its reputation.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
What books have you read because they were recommended by someone you admired/were in love with/lusted after? I'm especially interested in books you wouldn't have chosen for yourself.

The bible. Actually, bits of it aren't a bad read, in terms of a background in modern society's underpinnings. Still fiction though, for me.

-Geoff

macjoven

MBTI Type
INFP
I went to a pratchett book signing once, and I mentioned that I had noticed that there are few people out there who had found his books on their own. He said that he actually found that most of the collections of his books started with nicked books (books lent to a friend and never returned). I have lost so many of his books that way. I think I have lost three copies of "Soul Music" over the years.

Anyways back on topic

Harry Potter. I resited it for many years. But was convinced to try it by of couple of bright, female HP fanatics and though I was only mildly impressed by the first one (kinda scooby-doo-sih) they got better as the serise went on.

"Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. Though I detest most christian writting, I was again convinced to read it by a Female friend. It was crazy how the guy's thought process parralells my own.

Those are the only ones that stick out in my head. I am usually able to find books quite well on my own.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
The Secret History, Donna Tartt

Atonement, Ian McEwan

The Blackwater Lightship, Colm Tobin

darlets

Catch-22 would be on my current list of books to read, if I had one, for this reason. I'll read it eventually and see if it's worthy of its reputation.

I read the first half. Gave the second half a miss. Along with about 5 other books.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tsubasa: Resovoir Chronicles

xD

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MOKONA MODOKI =0v0=

M19.JPG