• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Book Club: Anathem Discussion

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"She" refers to Cord. All of her technical savvy and fascination with the way things work and how to build/repair them makes me think she's STJ. And she just seems more extroverted, so I tacked an E onto that.
Wait, I thought you were going to say STP. Isn't that the stereotype for being mechanically inclined?I'm not objecting with stj overall necessarily, but I'm not sure this in particular is support for it?

I think maybe Leo could be isfp, or infp. Not sure.

All the characters are really...vague? and hard to type, though.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wait, I thought you were going to say STP. Isn't that the stereotype for being mechanically inclined?I'm not objecting with stj overall necessarily, but I'm not sure this in particular is support for it?

I think maybe Leo could be isfp, or infp. Not sure.

All the characters are really...vague? and hard to type, though.

Could be STP. I was least sure about the J vs P, but ST seems pretty clear. And E, I think.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I looked at the original thread and wanted to say hahaha the enthusiasm was priceless. Then I saw the link. I downloaded the audio book and its well, I would like to read peoples views and synopsis of each chapter. I am in a reading drought. eg I read the Wheel of Time books 1-11, bought books 12 and 13 and haven't touched a page. The same is for this book, my focus drifts more than I'd like to speak of.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm too impatient to wait. I'll just type the characters best I can, which isn't that well.

Raz-IxFJ [he's oddly difficult]
Ala-ESTJ
Cord-ISTP [I'm sorry to be so stereotypical]
Yul-ISFP
Lio-ISFP
Jesry-xSTP
Orolo-ENTP
Jad-INTP
Lodaghir-INTJ, with the huge stick up his ass and everything.
Arsibalt-ESFJ
Barb- ISTJ, seems autistic, very much like Bones.
Sammammmamamamamamamn- ESTP

I really enjoyed this book. Especially towards the end, during all the Narrative dancing. Interesting discussions, interesting ideas.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I finished the book last night. I liked it a lot! The use of words is just funny...so technical/philosopical but also down to earth and silly. I love when they start calling the space contraption a "monyafeek." :laugh: I think I fell just a little bit in love with Raz. And Jesry, too, for some odd reason. During the first part of the book that took place in the concent, I definitely thought Jesry was an E, but now I think IxxJ. ISTJ, maybe?

I definitely think maybe Barb is an Aspie. They alluded several times to his lack of social graces and fascination with technical information.

I liked Sammann. I'm going to start calling my smartphone a jeejah from now on. :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
I finished the book last night. I liked it a lot! The use of words is just funny...so technical/philosopical but also down to earth and silly. I love when they start calling the space contraption a "monyafeek." :laugh: I think I fell just a little bit in love with Raz. And Jesry, too, for some odd reason. During the first part of the book that took place in the concent, I definitely thought Jesry was an E, but now I think IxxJ. ISTJ, maybe?

I definitely think maybe Barb is an Aspie. They alluded several times to his lack of social graces and fascination with technical information.

I liked Sammann. I'm going to start calling my smartphone a jeejah from now on. :laugh:

I often wonder what you would be like if you didn't masquerade as a normal person day after day.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I often wonder what you would be like if you didn't masquerade as a normal person day after day.
The disguise slips a little bit more each day...

Mole

Permabanned
The disguise slips a little bit more each day...

Would you like to tell us about your disguise?

For instance, can you remember when you first adopted the disguise?

What prompted you to adopt the disguise?

How do you feel about the disguise?

Would you like to discuss your disguise with your family?

How do you feel about taking it off?

Who would you be if you did take it off?

What are the risks in taking it off?

Do you know anyone who has taken their disguise off successfully?

Does the book club help you take off your disguise?

How can we help you with your disguise?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't remember when the disguise began. Probably sometime in elementary school. I took it off for while in middle school and high school, but as a working adult I've had to don it again. But I don't wear it around my family or close friends. If I did, they could see right through it.

Total derail, but 'tevs. Ain't much discussion happening anyway. :)

Mole

Permabanned
I don't remember when the disguise began. Probably sometime in elementary school. I took it off for while in middle school and high school, but as a working adult I've had to don it again. But I don't wear it around my family or close friends. If I did, they could see right through it.

Total derail, but 'tevs. Ain't much discussion happening anyway. :)

When they tell me they are 'back on the rails', I feel a little off. It seems they have given up on their true self and accepted a disguise.

There is nothing I like better than leaving the rails, and playing in the fields beside the tracks.

Here they insist we remain on topic and on the rails. I rail at this and tell them the rails are the rails of literacy, they are the rails of the catalogue, whereas this whole site depends on random access memory.

So they look at the rails through the rear vision mirror, just as we have left the track and are bouncing all over the open fields.

The false self remains on the tracks while the true self dances in the fields with Mole and Ratty and Toad and Badger and me. And we want you to join us.

Mole

Permabanned
A gentled horse

hmmm. Victor ALMOST speaks normally around you Aquarelle

Well perhaps if you followed in Aquaelle's footsteps, I might speak normally around you too.

So what did Aquaelle do to gentle me?

Well the first thing Aquaelle did was to say she liked me. So why not try that? Why not appeal to my heart first?

And having won my heart, Aquaelle asked me to speak more conversationally. And how could I refuse her?

Of course I am not used to speaking conversationally, so I am a bit awkward, but like a gentled horse, I take my lead from Aquaelle.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well perhaps if you followed in Aquaelle's footsteps, I might speak normally around you too.

So what did Aquaelle do to gentle me?

Well the first thing Aquaelle did was to say she liked me. So why not try that? Why not appeal to my heart first?

And having won my heart, Aquaelle asked me to speak more conversationally. And how could I refuse her?

Of course I am not used to speaking conversationally, so I am a bit awkward, but like a gentled horse, I take my lead from Aquaelle.

Awww. I don't want you to give up your unique style. Generally, I like it. And I can understand it, usually (or I think I can, anyway). It lends itself well to some of the conversations we have here on the forum. It doesn't lend itself well to the simple exchange of information, though, so I appreciate your willingness to be flexible. :)