User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The process of becoming an artist

Default The process of becoming an artist

This chart comes from

As an amateur writer who sometimes dabbles in drawing/painting/..., I think this is quite accurate...
    For drawing etc. I'm shifting red-orange. I occasionally read something about perspective, anatomy etc... (but I don't draw manga or anime. Don't like that style.)
    Never followed a drawing course and never will. If I ever follow a course, it will be a writing one.

For writing... ehm... I'm quite sure in my teens I was in the grey zone. I didn't like the books my teachers adored, so I didn't listen to the writing advice of the same teachers. I dunno where I am now. Green? Maybe blue? As for studying, I've gathered some writing tips online and in occasional workshops, but I didn't follow a course or anything. Practising - that I do very often Green with a tinge of red ("writing is my hobby") in it

Fellow artists/wannabe artists/... What do you think?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Ha! This is actually rather accurate, I went through all of those processes at one point

I think I will always be stuck in stage 2, 4 and 5. Studying for improvement, and constant dissatisfaction/ self criticism,when it comes to my work. I hate when something is not perfect.

When I stare at it for too long, I can't see the imperfection, but when I actually take a photo and put it on my computer, I can see EVERY flaw.. Odd how when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. : D

I am interested in art and artistry, although I will confess more in gymnasts and exemplars of physical fitness or perhaps writers, analysts or orators, than in painting or drawing.

After reading K-PAX one and two I've begun to think about the artists among other species, do dolphins try to master the perfect dive or turn? They certainly seem to have more fun with it than artists, I dont like much of the modern artists, most of the time it is at best curious, in the way that childrens play involving imagination can be (at best) or simply advertising (at worst) can be.

Mind you I dont like modernity and I think that often modern artists reflect that, when the artist who shit in a can and called it art did so and said they where making a statement that anything the artist produced was art, whether you consider it good or bad, could have been making a valid, though vulgar, point about how art is consumed, marketed etc. In an earlier age they would have been lucky to be regarded as a fool or jester.

I really dont believe that unmade beds are art or exhibitions about masturbation or sex lives are art, its often a form of embarrassing self-disclosure on one hand and voyeurism on the other.

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of charts.

If you want to be an artist, you already are one the second you start creating something. There is no right or wrong or stage where you're more of an artist than that. I don't think you have to study anything really. It helps to learn new methods and pallettes and techniques and such, but the person who becomes adept at all of those things was already an artist when they had crayons or a toy drum kit.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post

Damn straight!
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

Hah, I deleted that and worded out what I meant. It didn't seem artistic to post a commercial slogan.

Stage 1, drawing is a hobby.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

morose bourgeoisie Array

Elephants who paint. How's that for animal art?

That graph is more-or-less accurate. the fact is that you have to put in a lot of time to master anything, especially art, since the objective isn't always clear or easily measured. '10,000 hour rule'. and all that.
    I had a professor who loved to say that 'you have to suffer for your art', as he sat back and listened to me attempt to play the pipe organ...

I have to add that stage 4 and 6 are almost insulting to what art even is. 5 is OK. 4 seems very sterilized and devoid of actual self-expression. It might be the wording there. I mean, it's one thing to explore and have influences, but if you're really trying to ascend somewhere through "studying", then you might as well throw in the towel.

6 is about money and pleasing people. Yeah, that just shouts "artist" to me. If an artist hits that point, it's a byproduct of their commitment.. and happening to be marketable or part of some zeitgeist, if you will. Not necessarily setting out to be. To put it on the highest stage tells me that an non-artist wrote this. If anything, that's the same kind of thinking behind the people who actually insult artists. The parent or the acquaintance who can't even see the worth in anything unless it produces money.

4w5 sp/sx

I can clumsily represent on page what I see, for the most part. That doesn't make me an artist. What I see is what seems to be lacking. It's like KDude said, there's no room for expression on the chart. If we're just talking about drawing good, well what's the ponit unless you have something to show?