• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weirdest music you like?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
This is a hard one. I listen to quite a lot rather odd music, but I don't think it's very weird, but I am sure people especially listening to a lot of mainstream music would find it weird. Anyhow, I am going to make a suggestion and say Orphaned Land, which is progressive metal with heavy Middle East folk music influences. Their Mabool album is ingenious. <3
That sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

I would think the same about a lot of the bands I sometimes listen to that are only 'weird" to mainstream listeners. I could tell you that I like Brian Eno ( and I do ) but to me that isn't "weird". I've continued to raise the bar on "weird" for years and so I'll have to think hard for mine.

2. Pat Boone's heavy metal album
That sounds like a hoot. The sort of thing I would call "truly weird". I have an album of a guy trying to explain how to deal with public mocking of his group's mission, to the faithful. And how to recruit new members etc. His society's mission is to make sure that all animals have their privates covered with diaper-like things, as it otherwise contributes to "indecency". I love getting old educational sound recordings or movies that are so out of date as to sound extremely corny now, if they didn't always strike people that way.

I guess implicitly, music from other cultures would be considered abnormal. I like Hungarian folk, Klezmer
I likes me some Klez....

Frank Zappa beats anybody for weirdness hands down. Check out Thing-Fish or Civilization Phase III or any of his 70+ albums. :headphne:

Other "weird" music I like
GONG
Sun Ra
Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria (weird to a Western ear)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (same as above)
Edgar Varese
Lustmord
Diamanda Galas
The Shaggs

Just to name a few. I love love love love music
Some good bands here, and most are genuinely weird, but not "obscure" weird. ;)

Chip music's appeal (to me) is its innovativeness, nostalgic and distinctive sound, and its sonic limitations. Why would sonic limitations appeal to me? Well, when your only given three or four sound channels, and 3 or 4 basic sound waves to work with, and you wish to create music that excites and interests you and other people, then it's necessary for you to really push your creativity boundaries, or even break them. Innovation is demanded of the musician.
I like the idea you just described. "Constraints-based" art. Sometimes it produces great stuff, and sometimes....

Siberian throat singing; Qawwali; Freak folk/New Weird America.
I've been checking out the throat singing a little. Any recommendations ? I don't know "freak folk" that well, but I have a few artists that fit this description. I may be confusing it partly with "psychobilly" though.

I've got a Stockhausen album that has a lot of vocalists improvising that's pretty cool. Randy Hostetler has inspired me to do a spoken word piece myself. I have an anthology of "drone" works from around the world. There are a few people who can "play balloons" that I'd like to get, and an album that was recorded using the properties ( on purpose ) of a piano that had been abandoned after suffering a lot of water damage.

I posted some odd music on my "Pontookers" thread.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
early pink floyd (a saucerful of secrets)

dead meadow is freaking good, they aren't that weird though

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
early pink floyd (a saucerful of secrets)
I like "Echoes" - one of the best rock songs ever recorded IMHO. But Floyd influenced so many bands over the years, who use elements of their signature "weirdness", that it doesn't seem so weird to me now. ( If you've seen the movie "Pompeii", I actually found and bought that old echo machine they used there. :) )

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
They sound slightly muffled on Youtube, but you can get the idea.

Moment of Peace

The Gift

I have no idea what's considered good or bad taste or "weird" in music, art, etc. That's how oblivious I am to mainstream/popular culture. :nerd: (Thought: You have to be aware of mainstream culture to a certain degree in order to choose to stay out of it, no?) But I just went to the biggest music store in my city today and tried to look for these albums -- only to find that the store doesn't have them because the only one they did have was "withdrawn".:blink: I guess that's a sign of lack of popularity or of wyrdness of this type of music.

As for me, I couldn't decide whether to post these songs in this thread or in the "share your favourite music" thread. :headphne: :D

Last edited:

Airius

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh my...

Haddaway, The Bees, Roxette, Günther, classic Disney.

Those are some pretty corny weaknesses of mine, just to name a few.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Tangerine Dream
I had an album called Electronic Meditation that was too weird to listen to.

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Is Roxette wyrd? :huh: I have a weakness for them as well and thought they were pretty popular back in the 80s and 90s. Although, I've always wished their lyrics weren't so -- what's the word? -- crude... or "earthy".

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
[YOUTUBE="2JQegqzHVTQ"]The Megas-Metal Dance[/YOUTUBE]

This group does a bunch of song remakes of Mega Man level music.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I like an odd mix of musical genres; heavy metal and broadway musicals. No, I'm not gay. Yes, people have asked me that immediatly after learning about my unusual taste in music.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Klangmutationen
Unexpect
Ephel Duath
Jarboe
The Firstborn
Gorguts
Karl Sanders
Blacklodge
Deathspell Omega
The Axis of Perdition
Blut aus Nord
Reverence
Esoteric
Umbra Nihil
The Ruins of Beverast
Crotchduster
Circle of Ouroborus
Urfaust
Wold
Njiqahdda
Flaskavsae

It's doubtful anyone has heard of these, except for maybe a few.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pfft! There’s alot of crap in here that is soooo not weird! Just cause it’s not in fashion now doesn’t make it weird.

How's about Mongolian Throat Singers? Now THAT is weird :D

[YOUTUBE="AxttAghqrv8"]Huun Huur Tu[/YOUTUBE]

So you know, this is just the tip of the weirdness in my music collection.

Siberian throat singing; Qawwali; Freak folk/New Weird America.

:nice:

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Sonic Youth's Silver sessions ep. Not too weird a band, but I think this ep is magical.
Boredoms - I actually like this band.

Negativland - never listen to this on LSD.:shock:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I love soul, funk, and electro music from the 70s and 80s.

This, is music:

[YOUTUBE="DtVy8_E7lj0"]Zapp & Roger[/YOUTUBE]

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ZOMG! Derogatory country! xD

[youtube=Hez0oL5WTBQ]Rodney Carrington - Dear Penis[/youtube]
[youtube=SgyeshD8RJY]Rodney Carrington - Titties and Beer[/youtube]