• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weirdest music you like?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yesterday on UNC's student radio station I heard a super-great weird song. It was supposed to be by a 5 year old in Ohio but the DJ said it was probably a collaboration between Coldcut and DJ Shadow (both of whom I love). I can't remember what it was called, though, and it's driving me nuts. The song was something like "getting along with grownups."

Edit: Found it in the station archives! Ruckus Roboticus

It appears our sweet, young, naive DJ misunderstood the concept, though.

MX5

MBTI Type
INTJ
Rufus Harley - The Hard Blues (alternative Jazz)
Montana - Frank Zappa ("unique" concept)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you want weird music, just listen to anything gothic ambient. It's basically a bunch of chains clanking, some ominous bass droning and occassional dark giggling by a masculine ogre voice. I think anything on glockenspiel as well counts in a corny indie way.

Perhaps there are different types of gothic ambient, but this is what I think of for that genre...

Nox Arcana - Cleveland, Ohio - Gothic / Ambient / Classical
Midnight Syndicate - CHARDON, OHIO - Gothic / Ambient / Other

Your description sounds more like "drone doom metal".
Sunn O))) - TOWSON, Maryland - Down-tempo / Ambient / Experimental
And I'll agree thats some rather weird stuff thats not for everybody.

I don't consider a lot of the music I listen to as weird, but most of it is stuff you won't hear on the radio in the states. Here is a link to my web page of myspace band links for a lot of my favorite bands, but here are some more direct links to the stuff that is different enough for me to consider it noteworthy.

CHAMBER - DE - Acoustic / Alternative / Classical
FAUN - Munich, DE - Folk / Gothic / Alternative
Irfan - Sofia, BG - Other
Korpiklaani - Lahti, FI - Metal / Folk / Thrash
L'AME IMMORTELLE - Vienna - Gothic / Rock / Industrial
Lunascape - - Trip Hop / Alternative / Electronica
Lyriel - DE - Metal / Folk Rock / Gothic
Omnia - NL - Folk / Gothic / Celtic
Poeta Magica - Dexbach, DE - Celtic / Folk / Folk Rock
The Soil Bleeds Black - ASHBURN, Virginia - Gothic / Folk
Therion - Death Metal / Progressive / Gothic

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Gogol Bordello

...:huh: and that would be...?

Gogol Bordello is awesome- in fact I have a deep love of all of the bands on the Everything is Illuminated soundtrack (though eerily enough I had them all before I'd even heard of the movie :shock:)

Whatever, I should have known you'd know and love them. I heard them on the radio (missed the local show) and thought they were amazing!

Jae Rae

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i cant get enough of music with some sort of complex structure...

well written piano and classical pieces, techno/trance/funk, etc. makes my brain happy :drool:

i can only imagine that a good portion of my favorite music seems outright strange to other people... i think it's awesome and often times i cant help but feel captivated by it

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um, some video game music--mainly the Sonic the Hedgehog series :D

A (probably) lesser-known band I really enjoy is the Poster Children. They're an indie-ish kind of band from Illinois.

umop_3pisdn

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think IDM (intelligent dance music) would probably be considered more challenging to listen by mainstream standards as it's supposed to challenge the trad idea of 'music'. I thought it was funny how it was described as 'what art students are most likely to be playing in their room'.
That description is funny. I guess also because IDM tends to be kind of pretentious. At the very least, the genre name "IDM" is somewhat pretentious, itself. Though it's one of my favorite genres. Autechre and Venetian Snares are amazing. Especially the former, IMO.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Kaeshite! Knee Socks (completely odd), Mokette! Sailor Fuku (very odd), Britney Spears' newest album. The songs are catchy.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ If you think that's weird, you're obvioulsy not a hippie. :dry:

Kidding, you totally can be. This hippie girl with a dijeridoo blowing hippie boyfriend (he was institutionalized as a teenager and managed to father a child with another patient) and I were planning a party and she said she wanted "really weird food...like maybe Moroccan". :huh:

I like gamelan music as well. There's something very...calming about it.

And I was going to answer, "The sound of my voice talking" as an answer.

:yim_rolling_on_the

Maybe I should move that to the MBTIc amateur night thread...

MadamI'madaM

MBTI Type