First 31112131415 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    This is a hard one. I listen to quite a lot rather odd music, but I don't think it's very weird, but I am sure people especially listening to a lot of mainstream music would find it weird. Anyhow, I am going to make a suggestion and say Orphaned Land, which is progressive metal with heavy Middle East folk music influences. Their Mabool album is ingenious. <3
    That sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

I would think the same about a lot of the bands I sometimes listen to that are only 'weird" to mainstream listeners. I could tell you that I like Brian Eno ( and I do ) but to me that isn't "weird". I've continued to raise the bar on "weird" for years and so I'll have to think hard for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    2. Pat Boone's heavy metal album
    That sounds like a hoot. The sort of thing I would call "truly weird". I have an album of a guy trying to explain how to deal with public mocking of his group's mission, to the faithful. And how to recruit new members etc. His society's mission is to make sure that all animals have their privates covered with diaper-like things, as it otherwise contributes to "indecency". I love getting old educational sound recordings or movies that are so out of date as to sound extremely corny now, if they didn't always strike people that way.

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I guess implicitly, music from other cultures would be considered abnormal. I like Hungarian folk, Klezmer
    I likes me some Klez....

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post
    Frank Zappa beats anybody for weirdness hands down. Check out Thing-Fish or Civilization Phase III or any of his 70+ albums.

Other "weird" music I like
    GONG
    Sun Ra
    Mysterious Voices of Bulgaria (weird to a Western ear)
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (same as above)
    Edgar Varese
    Lustmord
    Diamanda Galas
    The Shaggs

Just to name a few. I love love love love music
    Some good bands here, and most are genuinely weird, but not "obscure" weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Warp View Post
    Chip music's appeal (to me) is its innovativeness, nostalgic and distinctive sound, and its sonic limitations. Why would sonic limitations appeal to me? Well, when your only given three or four sound channels, and 3 or 4 basic sound waves to work with, and you wish to create music that excites and interests you and other people, then it's necessary for you to really push your creativity boundaries, or even break them. Innovation is demanded of the musician.
    I like the idea you just described. "Constraints-based" art. Sometimes it produces great stuff, and sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Siberian throat singing; Qawwali; Freak folk/New Weird America.
    I've been checking out the throat singing a little. Any recommendations ? I don't know "freak folk" that well, but I have a few artists that fit this description. I may be confusing it partly with "psychobilly" though.

I've got a Stockhausen album that has a lot of vocalists improvising that's pretty cool. Randy Hostetler has inspired me to do a spoken word piece myself. I have an anthology of "drone" works from around the world. There are a few people who can "play balloons" that I'd like to get, and an album that was recorded using the properties ( on purpose ) of a piano that had been abandoned after suffering a lot of water damage.

I posted some odd music on my "Pontookers" thread.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

early pink floyd (a saucerful of secrets)

dead meadow is freaking good, they aren't that weird though
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFP

Queen, Dr Hook, Melanie.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    early pink floyd (a saucerful of secrets)
    I like "Echoes" - one of the best rock songs ever recorded IMHO. But Floyd influenced so many bands over the years, who use elements of their signature "weirdness", that it doesn't seem so weird to me now. ( If you've seen the movie "Pompeii", I actually found and bought that old echo machine they used there. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFx

They sound slightly muffled on Youtube, but you can get the idea.

Moment of Peace

The Gift

I have no idea what's considered good or bad taste or "weird" in music, art, etc. That's how oblivious I am to mainstream/popular culture. (Thought: You have to be aware of mainstream culture to a certain degree in order to choose to stay out of it, no?) But I just went to the biggest music store in my city today and tried to look for these albums -- only to find that the store doesn't have them because the only one they did have was "withdrawn". I guess that's a sign of lack of popularity or of wyrdness of this type of music.

As for me, I couldn't decide whether to post these songs in this thread or in the "share your favourite music" thread.
    Last edited by cloakofsnow; 10-22-2008 at 08:50 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh my...

Haddaway, The Bees, Roxette, GŁnther, classic Disney.

Those are some pretty corny weaknesses of mine, just to name a few.

MBTI
    INTJ

Tangerine Dream
    I had an album called Electronic Meditation that was too weird to listen to.

MBTI
    INFx

Is Roxette wyrd? I have a weakness for them as well and thought they were pretty popular back in the 80s and 90s. Although, I've always wished their lyrics weren't so -- what's the word? -- crude... or "earthy".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

[YOUTUBE="2JQegqzHVTQ"]The Megas-Metal Dance[/YOUTUBE]

This group does a bunch of song remakes of Mega Man level music.
    SDMF