User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) This is very true (I have OCD, so this happened frequently to me, part of the reason I prefer booze now).

2.) The 'numbness' is accurate, but its not something most people would call an ambulance for (I don't know how physically dangerous it is, but I almost never smoked weed without at least a beer or two).

Another symptom of a marijuana high is the feeling that time has either sped up or slowed down (one minute you'll have thought about a hundred seemingly brilliant ideas and thinking that an hour has gone by, the next you'll focus on a minute detail for what seems lke a couple of minutes but turns out to be an hour, etc).

Oh, and food tastes very very good. Your bladder also becomes numb (one of my OCD attacks while high was the worry that I would piss my pants without realizing it, but that never happened-numb is not the same as loose).
    Concerning #2: One or two beers with will usually be okay. But both drugs enhance each other's effect to such an extent that the effects when you combine these drugs are much greater than the sum of it's parts. I have fainted when combining these drugs, and usually I will wake up with bruses (from falling or walking into things) without remembering how I got them. A friend of mine once called an ambulance because I was in such a bad shape right after smokeing a spliff when drunk (I had fainted, the world was going circles and my limbs wouldn't work. After a minute or so I got a bit better and eventually the ambulance didn't come.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Thanks again all of you!

I'll take the Dutch type, because I'm from Belgium and if there's any weed around here it would be that sort.
    What's wrong with weed - I'm not going to drug my main character into a coma. He's got big problems at school and tries to escape them rather than confront them. In the story, the weed is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. The novel is not totally anti-drugs, even if I refuse to try. I've got strong reasons for not trying it myself (it's illegal, I'm asthmatic, I don't really want to experience it anyways even if I want to know some details).

I don't really like the mood enhancer effect. I thought marijuana was a sedative and I've read somewhere (a magazine at the doctor's) about someone using it to escape problems, to numb down (negative) feelings. That's why my character is using it. Do I need to get him another drug, then? Or does the placebo effect do the trick: he believes it will make him forget problems, so he is already quite calm and looking forward to a high far away from reality when he starts smoking, and the weed enhances this feeling?
    Though I'm by no means an addiction expert, I think you can take marijuana as a form of escapism. Someone once told me about his weed smoking habbit that he smoked whenever he felt stressed or busy as a means to delay important work or decision he knew he had to make eventually. It wasn't helping him and he didn't feel better when smoking, but it was just the easier alternative to doing a shitload of work and carying a lot of responsibility for your own life.
    (removed)

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I don't really like the mood enhancer effect. I thought marijuana was a sedative and I've read somewhere (a magazine at the doctor's) about someone using it to escape problems, to numb down (negative) feelings. That's why my character is using it. Do I need to get him another drug, then? Or does the placebo effect do the trick: he believes it will make him forget problems, so he is already quite calm and looking forward to a high far away from reality when he starts smoking, and the weed enhances this feeling?
    This is my perspective on that... But this may not be everyones experience with weed:

It's almost like weed is an escape from reality. It's not that you totally detach from reality like you would on hallucinogens or something, it's just like.... Someone takes the "volume knob" and turns it down a few notches. Everything becomes slightly muted. You become very focused on yourself, your thoughts, physical feelings. The world around you is just a little less tangible. So outside stressors that come from your environment - family hassling you, school grades, whatever ails you - becomes a little less real. Hence you have less concern about them. Induced apathy.

At the same time, more internal emotions may be enhanced. General anxiety or depression that is not onset by an outside force... Like, if you ever feel depressed and you don't know why - Nothing is actually wrong... That kind of emotion can feel enhanced.

I'd love if someone else would confirm/deny how they feel about that description.

I'd say if your character has some sort of outside force making him feel like escaping, weed is the right choice to make him 'not care' about what is happening in reality.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

figsfiggyfigs

I say you go out there, and you get yourself a doobie!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Pot makes me feel trapped, like I've got something to do, somewhere to be, but I can't move to do it. Obviously everyone has different experiences.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    This is my perspective on that... But this may not be everyones experience with weed:

It's almost like weed is an escape from reality. It's not that you totally detach from reality like you would on hallucinogens or something, it's just like.... Someone takes the "volume knob" and turns it down a few notches. Everything becomes slightly muted. You become very focused on yourself, your thoughts, physical feelings. The world around you is just a little less tangible. So outside stressors that come from your environment - family hassling you, school grades, whatever ails you - becomes a little less real. Hence you have less concern about them. Induced apathy.

At the same time, more internal emotions may be enhanced. General anxiety or depression that is not onset by an outside force... Like, if you ever feel depressed and you don't know why - Nothing is actually wrong... That kind of emotion can feel enhanced.

I'd love if someone else would confirm/deny how they feel about that description.

I'd say if your character has some sort of outside force making him feel like escaping, weed is the right choice to make him 'not care' about what is happening in reality.
    I think that's pretty acurate.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    As they say, write about what you know.
    I agree with this. Since pot has been used by a good portion of the population (where your dragon analogy fails as an apple among oranges; if you are going to focus on this person from the first person your writing will reek of bullshit. If you insist on writing about this consider taking it from a third "straight" person's perspective and simply observe some stoner's.

I seen some people trip out from smoking buds but never (even when mixed with alcohol) have to call an ambulance. Unlike most drugs its virtually impossible to overdose to death on pot.

There is no single marijuana high. It varies with each strain one smokes and environs, company, and mental states one is in as well as use/experience mental predisposition.. The highs very from depressant/tranquilizer high to semi psychedelic trip; from relaxed state to paranoia to complacent to super hungry and often a mix of the above plus more.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTP

Escape from reality is indeed what I need :-)
    My main character uses it to escape reality and suddenly (after a traffic accident, in which the weed only plays a small role - his reaction was too slow, but a clean person could have got the same sort of accident) finds himself in a fantasy world. At first he loves it - this is what he wanted all his life - but after a while he discovers that even here he needs to take responsibility. Thanks for all these helpful replies!

Please stop trying to get me to use weed. I won't. Those replies aren't helpful at all.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women