• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Starship Troopers 3..."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, here's a trailer for Starship Troopers 3: Marauder, which I guess will be direct-to-video like Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation. But Casper Van Dien of the first movie will be returning.

The film will be directed by the writer of the first two films, Edward Neumeier.

Despite being a direct-to-video release, I actually enjoyed Starship Troopers 2, and Starship Troopers 3 looks to be quite intriguing, too -- in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way, but that's what all the Starship Troopers films were aiming for.

I'm personally a big fan of the original Starship Troopers. It's a far more intelligent movie than most people give it credit for. I felt it was highly clever, not to mention it had awesome effects and to this day, it has some of the most gorgeous model work ever, created by Sony Pictures Imageworks when they had their miniature shop Thunderstone.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
And it had Doogie Howser in a duster! Can't beat that (except by putting Doogie Howser on drugs and making him hump the car seat).

Actually I liked Starship Troopers too. It was way cheesy but that kind of added to its charm. It had a self-aware cheesiness sort of like Evil Dead 2 had (although I much prefer ED2).

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The original Starship Troopers was fun, but I thought the sequel was kind of lame. I'll definitely be watching the third one though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is a highly detailed analysis of the effects in the first Starship Troopers.

NOTE: It's only detailed if you click the links on that page! :harhar:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Favorite thing about the original Starship Troopers was the "Education Segments" that always ended with Do you want to know more?. I can't remember if I saw the second one.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The second one was directed by effects guru Phil Tippett.

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
Wait, there was a Starship Troopers 2?

And now 3? For the love of God, why?

I'm assuming the original director has nothing to do with the sequels, a la Robocop?

The only reason I ever gave the original a second glance was its tantalizing hints (to me at least) of Paul Verhoeven's deliberate creation of antifilms. (Robocop is another classic example.)

It seemed really clear that Verhoeven wanted to highlight the elements of the original Heinlein story that were exactly what Heinlein took pains to vehemently protest the story was not--a quasi-fascist glorification of warfare as an ideal state of human existence.

I could really give a shit what happened to the Brain Bug.

Oh well.

sassafrassquatch

Huh. I didn't even know there was a 2. Doesn't matter, they wacked Dina Meyer (Redhead O' Much Hotness) in ST so the film all its sequels are on the Excrement List until proper restitution has been paid.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation

war.jpg

Would you like to know more?

Starship Troopers 2 doesn't have any of the characters from the first film, but it was still entertaining and the effects were great despite the budget.