• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

British Comedy

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
OK. Saved the best for last. The Thick of It is the best British Comedy in the history of ever.
Warning: VERY strong language.

The Thick of It is spectacular. I'm happy to see someone else posted it here already. There's no character on any show I can think of quite like Malcolm Tucker. (also, Salome, are you British? The Thick of It fans are few and far between in America. I bought the series on amazon.uk, since it isn't available in the States, and watch it on my region-free DVD player. I think it's getting a release here soon.)

Robin: Malcolm, do you know... how to fix a paper jam?
Malcolm: I don't know, kill a kid an hour until it sorts itself out?

Apparently Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson used to be in a punk band together. I saw him on Ferguson, and he told a story about a night he and Craig met up after both taking LSD, and neither one knew the other one was on acid.

Darkplace is exceptionally funny as well. The Mitchell and Webb Look and Peep Show are both pretty funny and on Netflix instant.

R

Riva

I was discussing British comedy with another member on vent and we came to notice (I believe I did with my superior sensing skills) that British comedy is based mostly on metaphors. They make metaphorical jokes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I love it.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I watch Have I Got News For You and was glad to see William Shatner hosting it the other week/month.

QI too
and other shows.

Lark

I watch Have I Got News For You and was glad to see William Shatner hosting it the other week/month.

QI too
and other shows.

How the hell did I miss that? Do they know what it means that they have Shatnered their discussions?

Evette

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7x8
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Graham Norton Show is definitely my guilty pleasure. I don't really care for celebrity talk, but I just find him hilarious.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
Benny Hill is good if non-politically-correct double-entendre sexual innuendo and skimpily clad young women are your thing. Dead now, but DVDs available from Amazon.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How the hell did I miss that? Do they know what it means that they have Shatnered their discussions?

I don't even know what that means so I doubt they do; I'm kidding! :D

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like British Sitcoms.

I think they're kind of silly, plus I know that sitcoms in the UK are made/written slightly different to sitcoms in the US, in general.
In the UK, the writer writes a script, it gets edited with various drafts and filmed.
In the US, the writer writes a script, it gets edited with various drafts and filmed, and during filming, rewrites can happen on set, for better gags... That doesn't really happen in the UK.

I think British sitcoms 'like the two I'm going to mention' define to me, that sense of humour that's typically British, like, doing something stupid and taking the P***/Mick out of something.

I'm going to mention two favourites of mine.

Red Dwarf, and this other one that, as a child, I didn't watch much, but as I got older, found myself liking it; Blackadder.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Benny Hill is good if non-politically-correct double-entendre sexual innuendo and skimpily clad young women are your thing. Dead now, but DVDs available from Amazon.

Please stop reminding people he's British. There's so little dialogue in his shite we've managed to convince the rest of the world he's really German.

Here's one you won't have seen/probably won't understand.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Miranda is an occaisional guilty pleasure purely for the silliness.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whatever happened to Campus?
I loved that show.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The High Life, from the time before Cumming went to Holywood.
Fabulously camp.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
1565507_o.gif

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoyed Little Britain immensely an liked Fawlty Towers too.