User Tag List

First 123 Last

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I personally HATE the grind, a frost mage isn't really good at the grind either, or I am just pathetic. *sigh* I tend to quest with someone and take many RP breaks. I found getting through 45 especially difficult. I also change the scenery a lot, so I jump from area to area just looking for something new or different. I find a lot of the different areas in WoW seem to have very similar quests. And if I am having a really hard time I just call for some higher level back up. No I don't get the exp but I do get a break from the grind and tend to get bumped back to where I need to start afresh again.

Thankfully I have found a good questing partner who is pretty matched with my level we're usually only separated by a couple thousand points and we work well together.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

The only MMO I played was Star Wars Galaxies briefly over four(?) years ago, but I remember mostly liking the exploration and social aspects of the game, and the leveling/earning of skill points was kind of incidental.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I'm actually wondering about this, since i have read a lot of descriptions along the lines of 'This game is over so quickly, the level cap is so low", "This game needs more stuff to do wit the level cap so low", etc. Is this really something a lot of people enjoy so much?

(Personally, I tend to get the most enjoyment from thinking up/reading character builds and trying them out, trying out different playing styles, seeing different types of terrain, etc., all of which are much harder to do with long level up times, or equivalents.)
    I personally can't stand leveling, grinding, and farming. Which is the only thing you really do in WOW. And also way im going to be playing Darkfall online.. if it ever goes to beta

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've never played an MMORPG, but I did enjoy leveling up in old Final Fantasy games.

I used to take out a sheet of notebook paper and draw a tally mark (the kind where you draw four vertical lines and then use a fifth one diagonally cutting across all of them to indicate five) at the end of every battle. I would do this after figuring out which battles in the area gave me the lowest amount of experience, and then calculated the number of battles it would take to reach the next level if I somehow only fought those battles. Then after I reached the next level, I would count the tally marks to see how many fewer battles I had to do than the worst-case scenario. I used this to make me feel more optimistic about life at times.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Leveling up is a bitch. In all games. I mean, I love being at a high level, just I don't like getting to a high level. A lot like, if I want to be somewhere, a lot of the time I don't go, just 'cause I don't feel like driving.

Fuck that shit. Low level caps is awesome, but there should be more levels maybe. It's the most irritating thing when I know I can't advance any higher 'cause I'm at the highest level. At least in real life, I can just buy a new damn car. Gotta start all over with a video game.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Perhaps "level grind" in the title scares people off who would otherwise respond with descriptions of enjoying it.

That said, another annoying comment is "World of Warcraft takes so little time to level up compared to other MMORPGs", which only can be said thanks ot the amazingly large amount of grind that other MMORPGs must have compared to a lot of other activities in general that people could be doing.
    I think that things have changed a lot over the years. I'm done with MMO games, but I spent a LOT of time with the early-era ones (text muds and Everquest, mostly). Originally, there wasn't really a "level grind" for most people. That was simply "the game". I never played WoW, but it's pretty clear that it *does* take much less time to level up compared to the early-era games did in their heyday (early on, 24 hours of gameplay (and often more) wasn't at all unlikely to gain a single level, above the newbie levels). The best, most long-lasting memories that I have of EQ are precisely the things that new games tend to avoid like the plague - because they aren't as immediately fun (like "forced" grouping, limited numbers of mobs, etc.) I can't necessarily say that it's a big loss for the genre, but it's not the same. The "long slow grind" was, at least for me, more amenable to meeting and interacting socially with other players and building memories. Now it seems like it's all just a race to achievement, and it doesn't seem as fun.

Or I'm just getting old

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Has anyone played WoW and FF later games? How does leveling up compare?

edit; never mind found it with google
    Last edited by Seanan; 03-22-2008 at 01:01 AM.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ok, my tolerance for leveling up has met its match. I created a character (WoW) last weekend on a PvP server, and holy shit, trying to quest in the contested areas is turning into quite the pain in the ass.

I really only play the game one or two nights a week, just to keep the addiction down, but in four hours last weekend, I managed to finish two quests and get completely ganked about 27 times by the same level 70 druid with a bone to pick.

I even decided at one point to stay in the horde town so I would be safe, but this bastard decided to come in after me, killing everyone in town and then ultimately killing me after finding me hiding behind a dresser upstairs in the inn.

I am determined to make it to 70 on her now, just so I can camp this guy repeatedly every chance I get.

MBTI
    INTP

If you don't like leveling just quit the game. Because once you hit the level cap thats when the extremely tedious boring work of grinding and farming comes in.

I will not play another class/level system. Skill based system is where its at. Read up about darkfall at df.warcy.com, or darkfallonline.com.

I still love my first, and favorite MMO

Star Wars Galaxies 1.7

R.I.P
    I = 89% N = 79% T = 84% p = 74%

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the grind at all, I've gotten pretty good at it at least on PvE realms (4 70's so far)

This is just a new element that I've never experienced (pun intended) before. Beer definitely helps, lol.