• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I finished part 1! Woo!

Haha from the book and fits how the first part feels. I'm more interested in part two already.

"what do you want?"
"something to happen, I almost don't care what"

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius is not against the idea of a TypoC book club per se, but he sort of has a fifty book reading backlog as it is. Falcarius can't be the only one with a book buying addiction right?:unsure:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I may be interested in the book club, but I'm not a big sci-fi/futureworld type person, so I may sit this one out. Definitely would be more interested in thread discussion than Vent.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I might be, but am unlikely to go hunting out books just because others want to discuss them if they weren't of interest to me already. I'd be more likely to want to discuss stuff that I already have/have read/was contemplating reading. ;)

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
So I just realized that Ive never been part of a book club and Im not entirely sure what gets discussed when we finish.

Is it just... Whatever members bring up to talk about? Do we analyze character/plot/etc? Or do we just talk about opinions of the book thus far? Is there something I should be looking for as I read?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I may be interested in the book club, but I'm not a big sci-fi/futureworld type person, so I may sit this one out. Definitely would be more interested in thread discussion than Vent.
Great! Next time around we'll try to read something completely different, so hopefully you can join in. :)

I'm interested.
Glad to have you! Currently reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. If you'd like to join in, feel free! We're reading rhough Part 4 for 2/15 and discussion will begin then. If you're not interested in this book, you can jump in next time.

I might be, but am unlikely to go hunting out books just because others want to discuss them if they weren't of interest to me already. I'd be more likely to want to discuss stuff that I already have/have read/was contemplating reading. ;)
Haha well if we ever read a book you're already intersted in reading, feel free to join in. :)

So I just realized that Ive never been part of a book club and Im not entirely sure what gets discussed when we finish.

Is it just... Whatever members bring up to talk about? Do we analyze character/plot/etc? Or do we just talk about opinions of the book thus far? Is there something I should be looking for as I read?

I think it all depends on what people want to discuss. We might have some English major types who want to discuss writing techniques, etc; but it's totally ok if we just want to start with what we think of the book, characters, etc. I'd say make note of anything you think would be interesting to discuss as you read, and we'll see what we come up with.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like scifi books, I might read it, but my focus to read books in the last 5 years has been staggering, 1 at best and at 1,000 pages. I used to love chunky books, the chunkier the better, I visited multiple libraries in my once prolific book reading days. I miss those days, I'll try find and read the book. What kind of author would he be INTJ, is the book hard science fiction?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm going to order it today and hopefully it will come soon enough and I'll be able to finish it in time. If not I'll probably still read it, because I've read Snow Crash by him and loved it.it should get here wednesday. I do all my homework for the week on sunday so i'll have time to finish it.

KDude

We create random fan fiction sequels and what ifs, where Buffy and Jack Sparrow have sex with the protagonist.

N

NPcomplete

We create random fan fiction sequels and what ifs, where Buffy and Jack Sparrow have sex with the protagonist.

Hahahah the prospect of such doings just made the book seem more interesting!

Actually, the book is not thaaaaat bad (I'm still trying to get into the proper mood for it so I can stay focused and not read other books) but I don't know if I can finish the first 4 parts by Feb 15. Moreover, school is getting in the way.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah I actually want to read it now. The "setup" is just dry.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like scifi books, I might read it, but my focus to read books in the last 5 years has been staggering, 1 at best and at 1,000 pages. I used to love chunky books, the chunkier the better, I visited multiple libraries in my once prolific book reading days. I miss those days, I'll try find and read the book. What kind of author would he be INTJ, is the book hard science fiction?
I just started it today, and it has a lot of math terminology in it. That seems pretty INTJish. :laugh: So far I've enjoyed it, though. I've already read about 30 pages. It starts slow because he uses a lot of neologisms and you have to look up a lot of words in the glossary or infer their meaning from the context, but once you get a handle on some of the terms it goes faster.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have multiple unfinished Neal Stephenson novels lying on the shelf next to me. I've cracked them all open for a time.. they're not unread for the hell of it. He's not one of those writers that clicks with me, I guess.

No worries, people have different tastes. I just wanted to know because I always figured that Snow Crash was the easiest read and Diamond Age next. I couldn't imagine either of them being put down halfway. The others are a different story, I could see them disagreeing more with people.

Everyone seemed to love Diamond Age except for me. :shrug:

I found myself giving up after 25 pages. I found the writing style confusing and disjointed. I know from others that they praised his clear writing style. I always thought I had a large vocabulary but I found myself encountered with several words I've never even heard off all in the first few pages. Which is too bad because I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded really interesting.

I'm going to still give Anthem a try but don't be too surprised if I back out of it.

P.S. I don't have Vent so I'd prefer a discussion in the forum itself. I am open to downloading Vent if that's what the majority wants to do.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone seemed to love Diamond Age except for me. :shrug:

I found myself giving up after 25 pages. I found the writing style confusing and disjointed. I know from others that they praised his clear writing style. I always thought I had a large vocabulary but I found myself encountered with several words I've never even heard off all in the first few pages. Which is too bad because I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded really interesting.

I'm going to still give Anthem a try but don't be too surprised if I back out of it.

P.S. I don't have Vent so I'd prefer a discussion in the forum itself. I am open to downloading Vent if that's what the majority wants to do.

Well, Anathem gives you a new vocabulary, no prior knowledge necessary. :) My copy of Diamond Age is elsewhere so I can't check out what you had run into. I could see him using very specialized words.

I don't do Vent, either. I'll do whatever after come sort of consensus is made as long as I can get it going in Linux.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think most people prefer the forum over Vent. So we'll go with that. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Only if Victor partakes.

Naturallly I accept but only on the condition we forebear from discussing books and instead read them aloud to one another turn and turn about. And if we have enough of us on line at once, we can play the actual characters.

The purpose is to do it rather than talk about it. The purpose is to experience the book. The purpose is to enter a deep shared meditation. The purpose is no less than sacred transformation.

So we avoid futile discussion and enter the crysalis of sound, transforming ourselves, as warm muzzle talks to warm ear, emerging as dancing butterflies.

LEGERdeMAIN

Naturallly I accept but only on the condition we forebear from discussing books and instead read them aloud to one another turn and turn about. And if we have enough of us on line at once, we can play the actual characters.

The purpose is to do it rather than talk about it. The purpose is to experience the book. The purpose is to enter a deep shared meditation. The purpose is no less than sacred transformation.

So we avoid futile discussion and enter the crysalis of sound, transforming ourselves, as warm muzzle talks to warm ear, emerging as dancing butterflies.

That's a good idea Victor. Do you have a password to get on Vent yet?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I do like being read aloud to. And playing characters is fun, but that'd be better for a play than a novel.