• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
Just picked up the book from the library. This is quite the hefty volume we have selected!

i would like to play. i just looked it up - 1000 pages! i am in a three dimensional book club too, i have a full-time job and i am an extravert who enjoys long walks on the beach. i will try my best to finish this big boy within the month :solidarity:

please invite me to the group thingo. thank you kindly.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
i would like to play. i just looked it up - 1000 pages! i am in a three dimensional book club too, i have a full-time job and i am an extravert who enjoys long walks on the beach. i will try my best to finish this big boy within the month :solidarity:

please invite me to the group thingo. thank you kindly.

Hey Strawberries

Im not in a three dimensional book club, i dont have a job, Im not an extrovert, but I do like long walks on the beach. You should write me back, it seems we have a lot in common.

Slowriot

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
tbh I'll probably have it finished by Monday. Anyway it would appear we have 2 weeks to read it; it's only 67 pages per day.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will weigh in next year when I have time to read 1000 pages again, lol.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
tbh I'll probably have it finished by Monday. Anyway it would appear we have 2 weeks to read it; it's only 67 pages per day.
Yeah, if I had the time and really got in to the book, I'd probably get it done pretty fast (though still probably not by Monday ;)). But alas, I don't have enough time to read 67 pages of non-school reading a day. :(

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have to say I may not end up finishing this. Trying to read it feels like taking my medicine for the day. I may still try but I wanted to confess.

Im reading it on ebook but I have the book coming in the mail. Maybe I will like the experience better with a book.

What is the group for? I'm in it - just wondering if I should be watching it.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What is the group for? I'm in it - just wondering if I should be watching it.
Just to post info, so people always know what book we are currently reading, if they want to join in.

KDude

I have multiple unfinished Neal Stephenson novels lying on the shelf next to me. I've cracked them all open for a time.. they're not unread for the hell of it. He's not one of those writers that clicks with me, I guess.

gromit

likes this
Trying to read it feels like taking my medicine for the day.

I felt that way too, but I only read 1 or 2 sentences. I am thinking/hoping it will get better once I have gotten more of a sense of the setting of the story.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha sounds encouraging. can't wait to get my copy. :cheese:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have multiple unfinished Neal Stephenson novels lying on the shelf next to me. I've cracked them all open for a time.. they're not unread for the hell of it. He's not one of those writers that clicks with me, I guess.

Which ones?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, that happened for me with Atlas Shrugged. omg was that an awful book, and I read a lot of awful books just out of boredom. But it gets rave reviews from some. :shrug:

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think Ayn Rand is one of those people who you have to read when you're an angsty teen. I really liked The Fountainhead, but I don't think I could go back and reread it.

KDude

Which ones?

I'm just going to say I've read enough of Cryptonomicon. I have parts of the baroque cycle and snow crash, but I don't know enough about them. I don't have Anathem. I don't mean to knock him though.. sometimes I just need to be in the right frame of mind to kickstart an interest in a book.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just going to say I've read enough of Cryptonomicon. I have parts of the baroque cycle and snow crash, but I don't know enough about them. I don't have Anathem. I don't mean to knock him though.. sometimes I just need to be in the right frame of mind to kickstart an interest in a book.

No worries, people have different tastes. I just wanted to know because I always figured that Snow Crash was the easiest read and Diamond Age next. I couldn't imagine either of them being put down halfway. The others are a different story, I could see them disagreeing more with people.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
No worries, people have different tastes. I just wanted to know because I always figured that Snow Crash was the easiest read and Diamond Age next. I couldn't imagine either of them being put down halfway. The others are a different story, I could see them disagreeing more with people.

Having read only Cryptonomicon before, and already having an interest in the subject matter, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're not a fan of math/cryptology perhaps Cryptonomicon is not the best book of his to start out with. His male characters are thoroughly interesting to read about, coming from a female NF perspective. His female characters are not as well-developed, unfortunately.