• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I could kind of tell from the "intro" where he says if you like figuring stuff out you don't need to read it. But he tells you how to pronounce stuff in it and what words mean. How exactly would you figure out how he means to pronounce things?
Wow, you're fast! I'll have to try to get to the library tomorrow...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Haha. Me too, Elaur. My Kindle says I don't have to try to brave this snow to make it to the book store. Kindle, you're so good to me. *hugs Kindle*

I think the Kindle gets more affection than my boyfriend. I certainly spend more time with it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I just use an iPhone but I want a kindle. I say it about every other day so I figure I'll wear him down soon enough. Or I'll say it enough that he won't be surprised when all the sudden I'm reading one. I ordered a big screen tv that way. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't want to be a party pooper but I'm a little concerned about the book choice. I am wondering how many people won't read the book because it is so long, I've already talked to one person who said they aren't planning to do it because of the book choice. (I'm not entirely sure they would have with a different book although they are a reader) Are we going to get a count of the people planning to read the book?

Besides being a very long book it also has quite a lot of fakords that cause the reading to be even slower than a "normal" book. I know I didn't chime in on the voting but I guess I erroneously assumed that they were "normal sized" books. I do greatly appreciate that it's not a cute little drama book and I do LOVE scifi.

I just wanted to put this out here because it's a concern of mine.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, it's a long book... a bit intimidating, but I'll give it a shot. I would guess the 5 people that voted for the book are in as well, and Qlip, so that's at least 7... not a bad group.

The book is never going to be interesting or agreeable to everyone, and this is meant to be fun, not work, so people can opt in or out as they see fit. If you end up not enjoying this book and don't want to finish it, you can chime in about the parts you have read, or just jump back in when we start a new book. We'll try to do something drastically different next time around, just to mix it up a bit and so different people might be interested.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good points. We're kind of comitted to this now after an 'official' vote. I think next time we should go with something more accesible, page count wise.

The main concern I have is that people might be turned off of Neil after bouncing off of this book when in fact he has several novels that are less 'heavy' and are great reads.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm good with that, I just want to make sure I'm not the only one reading this book :newwink:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Understandable! And yeah, next time we'll do something shorter. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...maybe for next time we could put together a brief description of the books before voting? I didn't realize this one was so long when I voted for it, I was voting purely off of wiki plot summaries. As long as it's a good book, it won't matter to me, but I can see how it'd be daunting.

I'll commit to reading at least a couple chapters, I'll see how bad it is. :cheese:

I'm still number 3 in line to get it at the library so hopefully I can actually start reading it sometime before everyone else is done. :steam: But there are apparently 12 copies checked in at various branches, so I don't know why it's taking them so long to give it to me. Usually they transfer it within a day if it's available at any branch.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm...maybe for next time we could put together a brief description of the books before voting? I didn't realize this one was so long when I voted for it, I was voting purely off of wiki plot summaries. As long as it's a good book, it won't matter to me, but I can see how it'd be daunting.

Sure, we can do summaries next time. Or I can link to the Amazon descriptions - they include page numbers. There were a few nominations that were close to 1000 pages - ambitious readers in this group! :)

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
The book is never going to be interesting or agreeable to everyone, and this is meant to be fun, not work, so people can opt in or out as they see fit. If you end up not enjoying this book and don't want to finish it, you can chime in about the parts you have read, or just jump back in when we start a new book. We'll try to do something drastically different next time around, just to mix it up a bit and so different people might be interested.

This is true. One of the reasons I left the last book club I participated in was because everyone kept picking books that no one else really liked. Also, for the people who opt out, they may read the discussion and become interested later.

Good points. We're kind of committed to this now after an 'official' vote. I think next time we should go with something more accessible, page count wise.

The main concern I have is that people might be turned off of Neil after bouncing off of this book when in fact he has several novels that are less 'heavy' and are great reads.

I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but I wouldn't say it isn't "heavy". It wasn't particularly heavy to me, but I already knew many of the mathy concepts he brought up in that novel. I haven't read Snow Crash, but most of his books look tome-ish. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, since he reads so well.

I'm about halfway through the first chapter; it's weird, but interesting. I say have faith it's going to be OK!

I read his preface, but I skipped the chronology, thinking I could go back and look at it later as a reference.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Sure, we can do summaries next time. Or I can link to the Amazon descriptions - they include page numbers. There were a few nominations that were close to 1000 pages - ambitious readers in this group! :)

Pffft. 1000 pages is childs play.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is true. One of the reasons I left the last book club I participated in was because everyone kept picking books that no one else really liked. Also, for the people who opt out, they may read the discussion and become interested later.

I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but I wouldn't say it isn't "heavy". It wasn't particularly heavy to me, but I already knew many of the mathy concepts he brought up in that novel. I haven't read Snow Crash, but most of his books look tome-ish. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, since he reads so well.

I'm about halfway through the first chapter; it's weird, but interesting. I say have faith it's going to be OK!

I read his preface, but I skipped the chronology, thinking I could go back and look at it later as a reference.

Snow Crash and Diamond Age are pretty fast paced and aren't huge but there were considerable info/edutainment sections. I read Cryptonomicon, it felt a bit 'heavier' to me than those, but it's been a while since I read that one.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Anathem, by Neal Stephenson. You can also check the group - I'll always post the current book there.

gromit

likes this
Just picked up the book from the library. This is quite the hefty volume we have selected!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oooh, I might join in.

I'm a extremely slow reader though :blush: - I will try to keep up