• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Tell me what I should read and I plan to read it - not familiar with those books. I tend not to be into "drama" books but whatever is chosen I hope to read.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^^Sounds good - that works too!

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
i will be on/off depending on the book choice, so wont vote.

Plus, the idea of using ventrilo for this, can it be fitted in a timeslot that favors all? (europeans, aussies and so on) Maybe a sunday or something would seem suitable, if the idea catches on.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
likewise! totally unrelated, but would love to know which was your favorite essay in ASFTINDA. mine was the david lynch one, although i LOLd my way through the cruise ship essay. :)

Probably that title essay and E Unibus Pluram, but it's been awhile, I should read them all again.

T

ThatGirl

HATERS!

No jk, I would like to keep this outside of ventrillo too. I think in the thread is a good idea.

N

NPcomplete

I know nothing about the books but based on previous recommendations from friends and interesting titles (Periodic Table ahoy!), here are my votes:

- Anathem, Neal Stephenson
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, Sam Kean
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm good with discussing in the thread. I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable with Vent if we did use it, but I'm willing to give it a try if others really want to. But since there are a few who seem to feel strongly against it, and because I think it would be too hard to coordinate for ALL discussion to be there, let's say mainly thread-style discussion. We can set up a Vent time later, in addition, if people want it.

Is the "Awkward Silence Room" for chat with keyboard interface (not voice chat)? I'm more comfortable with that option if we do use Vent. :blush: /introvert

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Live chat might lose people's thoughts. Chat in vent ends up a big mess usually. I guess trying would be good but I vote the forum since I get in vent once every three months.

T

ThatGirl

I'm good with discussing in the thread. I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable with Vent if we did use it, but I'm willing to give it a try if others really want to. But since there are a few who seem to feel strongly against it, and because I think it would be too hard to coordinate for ALL discussion to be there, let's say mainly thread-style discussion. We can set up a Vent time later, in addition, if people want it.

Is the "Awkward Silence Room" for chat with keyboard interface (not voice chat)? I'm more comfortable with that option if we do use Vent. :blush: /introvert

^^This

Live chat might lose people's thoughts. Chat in vent ends up a big mess usually. I guess trying would be good but I vote the forum since I get in vent once every three months.

And this.

Also, the discussion can gain outside perspectives, even if one hasn't read the book.

What is the book?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What is the book?

Voting now closed. Looks like the winner is Anathem, by Neal Stephenson, with 5 votes.

Discussion will begin on Feb 15. I will start a new thread at that time, specifically for discussion of the book.

Here's the Table of Contents:
Screenshot2011-01-26at120748PM.png

Since the book is almost 1000 pages long, should we say try to read through Part 4 for Feb 15? More/less?

I will post this info in the group page as well.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1000 pages for the first book? Yowza.

Oh I like the little summary I just read about it. It did say it was a follow up book. Is the first book background unneeded?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in... Anathem, eh? I've already read it, but I'd be willing to give it another go.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
1000 pages for the first book? Yowza.

Oh I like the little summary I just read about it. It did say it was a follow up book. Is the first book background unneeded?

I don't think so; it was the first Neal Stephenson read by the person who recommended it to me, and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

I read Cryptonomicon last year, which is slightly longer than Anathem. Stephenson reads very quickly, and in Cryptonomicon had lots of little interesting side stories and bits of information. I had a hard time putting the book down. I've heard Anathem is different though.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Qlipp: do you get used to the "language" - it feels tedious to me right now.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Qlipp: do you get used to the "language" - it feels tedious to me right now.

I did, but don't go by me, I've voluntarily read a lot more cryptic than that. Neil is a good writer. But make no mistake, Anathem is Neil doing it *his* way.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I could kind of tell from the "intro" where he says if you like figuring stuff out you don't need to read it. But he tells you how to pronounce stuff in it and what words mean. How exactly would you figure out how he means to pronounce things?