• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I like World war Z myself.. bit of a Zombie freak here and I had this book recommended to me already..

My Vote..World War Z

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Question: what kinds of things would we discuss pertaining to the book(s)?

Whatever we want to... some books have book club guides in the back, and that's a good place to start, but we don't have to stick to that....

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
In the book club I was in a few years ago, we would talk about just about anything related to the book. What we thought about the characters and their decisions, what we thought the overarching theme of the book was, what we thought about the writing style, etc. etc.

Some of the book club guides are really good, others seem a bit lame to me. :(

That John Muir book sounds interesting too. So many decisions!

OK, here's a nomination:
Anathem by Neal Stephenson (But it's huge, so people won't want to read it, even if it might suck you in)

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Nominations now closed. Below is a list of the books nominated. Some votes have already been cast; those are indicated next to the books.

(Jock, Arc, mmhmm, I counted the votes books you already mentioned, because it seemed like you were placing a vote; if you want to amend what you said, let me know. ThatGirl and exAstrisSpes, I couldn’t tell if you were officially voting, so please let me know what your vote is!)

Berger, Thomas: Little Big Man

Charriere, Henri: Papillon (PS)

Brooks, Max: World War Z - 2

Davies, Robertson: Fifth Business

Franzen, Jonathan: Freedom

Hesse, Herman: Siddhartha - 1

Kean, Sam: The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

Kundera, Milan: The Unbearable Lightness of Being - 2

Muir, Jon: My First Summer in the Sierra

Puzo, Mario: The Sicilian

Rush, Norman: Mating

Stephenson, Neal: Anathem

Wallace, David Foster: Infinite Jest - 1

Voting will remain open for 24 hours. You can vote for more than 1 if you can’t decide.

Whatever book we choose, we will begin discussing on Feb 1, but probably limit it to the first few chapters since it’s coming up fast!

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i believe we have 2 votes for Infinite Jest.*

in which case, we'd need to vote between that, and ULOB and WWZ?

*my vote goes to this, given the final list of nominations.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like the idea, but I intend to be a parasite. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we can vote for anything, those are merely the first few votes and the remaining votes may be completely different.

Hmm based purely on brief plot summaries of all, I'll vote for Anathem.

If anyone's interested in the details,

Most interesting to me:
Muir, Jon: My First Summer in the Sierra
Stephenson, Neal: Anathem

Maybe:
Berger, Thomas: Little Big Man
Charriere, Henri: Papillon
Brooks, Max: World War Z
Franzen, Jonathan: Freedom
Kean, Sam: The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
Kundera, Milan: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Rush, Norman: Mating
Wallace, David Foster: Infinite Jest

Look very uninteresting to me/probably won't read:
Hesse, Herman: Siddhartha
Puzo, Mario: The Sicilian
Davies, Robertson: Fifth Business

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean, I'm interested.. in the abstract, and I'll probably observe, but I'm unlikely to contribute anything.
/intp

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i believe we have 2 votes for Infinite Jest.*

in which case, we'd need to vote between that, and ULOB and WWZ?

*my vote goes to this, given the final list of nominations.

Yeah, I originally had it down twice, but then exAstris posted another nomination, so I wasn't sure if the previous post was a vote or just an expression of interest. :) But yes, you can still vote for anything, the numbers are just for those who already voted. I'll add your vote to Infinite Jest, unless you want to amend it.

(We need a better voting system next time around....)

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, I'm interested.. in the abstract, and I'll probably observe, but I'm unlikely to contribute anything.
/intp

i'm sure you'll have a lot to say. glad you're in. :)

i hung out with an INTP last night. i know it's been said before, but INTPs interest in and facility with language should make a book club fun. particularly if we study DFW, who i suspect was an INTP.