User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

28 90.32%
  • Nope

3 9.68%
First 41213141516 Last

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    We create random fan fiction sequels and what ifs, where Buffy and Jack Sparrow have sex with the protagonist.
    Hahahah the prospect of such doings just made the book seem more interesting!

Actually, the book is not thaaaaat bad (I'm still trying to get into the proper mood for it so I can stay focused and not read other books) but I don't know if I can finish the first 4 parts by Feb 15. Moreover, school is getting in the way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah I actually want to read it now. The "setup" is just dry.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    I like scifi books, I might read it, but my focus to read books in the last 5 years has been staggering, 1 at best and at 1,000 pages. I used to love chunky books, the chunkier the better, I visited multiple libraries in my once prolific book reading days. I miss those days, I'll try find and read the book. What kind of author would he be INTJ, is the book hard science fiction?
    I just started it today, and it has a lot of math terminology in it. That seems pretty INTJish. So far I've enjoyed it, though. I've already read about 30 pages. It starts slow because he uses a lot of neologisms and you have to look up a lot of words in the glossary or infer their meaning from the context, but once you get a handle on some of the terms it goes faster.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I have multiple unfinished Neal Stephenson novels lying on the shelf next to me. I've cracked them all open for a time.. they're not unread for the hell of it. He's not one of those writers that clicks with me, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    No worries, people have different tastes. I just wanted to know because I always figured that Snow Crash was the easiest read and Diamond Age next. I couldn't imagine either of them being put down halfway. The others are a different story, I could see them disagreeing more with people.
    Everyone seemed to love Diamond Age except for me.

I found myself giving up after 25 pages. I found the writing style confusing and disjointed. I know from others that they praised his clear writing style. I always thought I had a large vocabulary but I found myself encountered with several words I've never even heard off all in the first few pages. Which is too bad because I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded really interesting.

I'm going to still give Anthem a try but don't be too surprised if I back out of it.

P.S. I don't have Vent so I'd prefer a discussion in the forum itself. I am open to downloading Vent if that's what the majority wants to do.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Everyone seemed to love Diamond Age except for me.

I found myself giving up after 25 pages. I found the writing style confusing and disjointed. I know from others that they praised his clear writing style. I always thought I had a large vocabulary but I found myself encountered with several words I've never even heard off all in the first few pages. Which is too bad because I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded really interesting.

I'm going to still give Anthem a try but don't be too surprised if I back out of it.

P.S. I don't have Vent so I'd prefer a discussion in the forum itself. I am open to downloading Vent if that's what the majority wants to do.
    Well, Anathem gives you a new vocabulary, no prior knowledge necessary. My copy of Diamond Age is elsewhere so I can't check out what you had run into. I could see him using very specialized words.

I don't do Vent, either. I'll do whatever after come sort of consensus is made as long as I can get it going in Linux.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think most people prefer the forum over Vent. So we'll go with that. :-)

My blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Only if Victor partakes.
    Naturallly I accept but only on the condition we forebear from discussing books and instead read them aloud to one another turn and turn about. And if we have enough of us on line at once, we can play the actual characters.

The purpose is to do it rather than talk about it. The purpose is to experience the book. The purpose is to enter a deep shared meditation. The purpose is no less than sacred transformation.

So we avoid futile discussion and enter the crysalis of sound, transforming ourselves, as warm muzzle talks to warm ear, emerging as dancing butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Naturallly I accept but only on the condition we forebear from discussing books and instead read them aloud to one another turn and turn about. And if we have enough of us on line at once, we can play the actual characters.

The purpose is to do it rather than talk about it. The purpose is to experience the book. The purpose is to enter a deep shared meditation. The purpose is no less than sacred transformation.

So we avoid futile discussion and enter the crysalis of sound, transforming ourselves, as warm muzzle talks to warm ear, emerging as dancing butterflies.
    That's a good idea Victor. Do you have a password to get on Vent yet?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Banned

Didn't have as much time to read as promised as I was moving house, onto part 3 however.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

I do like being read aloud to. And playing characters is fun, but that'd be better for a play than a novel.

My blog: