User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

28 90.32%
  • Nope

3 9.68%
First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Hmm...maybe for next time we could put together a brief description of the books before voting? I didn't realize this one was so long when I voted for it, I was voting purely off of wiki plot summaries. As long as it's a good book, it won't matter to me, but I can see how it'd be daunting.
    Sure, we can do summaries next time. Or I can link to the Amazon descriptions - they include page numbers. There were a few nominations that were close to 1000 pages - ambitious readers in this group!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    The book is never going to be interesting or agreeable to everyone, and this is meant to be fun, not work, so people can opt in or out as they see fit. If you end up not enjoying this book and don't want to finish it, you can chime in about the parts you have read, or just jump back in when we start a new book. We'll try to do something drastically different next time around, just to mix it up a bit and so different people might be interested.
    This is true. One of the reasons I left the last book club I participated in was because everyone kept picking books that no one else really liked. Also, for the people who opt out, they may read the discussion and become interested later.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Good points. We're kind of committed to this now after an 'official' vote. I think next time we should go with something more accessible, page count wise.

The main concern I have is that people might be turned off of Neil after bouncing off of this book when in fact he has several novels that are less 'heavy' and are great reads.
    I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but I wouldn't say it isn't "heavy". It wasn't particularly heavy to me, but I already knew many of the mathy concepts he brought up in that novel. I haven't read Snow Crash, but most of his books look tome-ish. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, since he reads so well.

I'm about halfway through the first chapter; it's weird, but interesting. I say have faith it's going to be OK!

I read his preface, but I skipped the chronology, thinking I could go back and look at it later as a reference.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Sure, we can do summaries next time. Or I can link to the Amazon descriptions - they include page numbers. There were a few nominations that were close to 1000 pages - ambitious readers in this group!
    Pffft. 1000 pages is childs play.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ExAstrisSpes View Post
    This is true. One of the reasons I left the last book club I participated in was because everyone kept picking books that no one else really liked. Also, for the people who opt out, they may read the discussion and become interested later.

I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but I wouldn't say it isn't "heavy". It wasn't particularly heavy to me, but I already knew many of the mathy concepts he brought up in that novel. I haven't read Snow Crash, but most of his books look tome-ish. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, since he reads so well.

I'm about halfway through the first chapter; it's weird, but interesting. I say have faith it's going to be OK!

I read his preface, but I skipped the chronology, thinking I could go back and look at it later as a reference.
    Snow Crash and Diamond Age are pretty fast paced and aren't huge but there were considerable info/edutainment sections. I read Cryptonomicon, it felt a bit 'heavier' to me than those, but it's been a while since I read that one.

ThatGirl

I don't want to sift through the thread. Did we decide what we were reading?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Anathem, by Neal Stephenson. You can also check the group - I'll always post the current book there.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Just picked up the book from the library. This is quite the hefty volume we have selected!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

The audio book I just downloaded is 32 hours. Heh!

MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)

i usew a

KINDLE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Oooh, I might join in.

I'm a extremely slow reader though - I will try to keep up
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte