• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roller derby

Vote on a derby name!

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Quaker Undertaker is a possibility.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I like that one!

I think it'd be fun to play on Ivy League, too, but I can't think of how just yet.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i love these

The Sock-her Mom

Breezy Brutal Covergirl

i didn't know you're an editor. how about: wrangling modifier ?
dangling modifier pun + kick-arsery. i'm trying to think of something with the word 'stet' in it - it's my favourite editing term. :laugh:

non-editing related:

punky bruiser
cookie cut-her
ivanna smackabitch
mary poppinshins
lady gag gag (might get dated quickly depending on lady gaga's longevity)

my derby name would be strawberry short break.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You guys are good at this!!! strawberries, I'm about to check Wrangling Modifier (or Strangling) on the name database! That is awesome!

edit: WOO HOO! it's open! That's on the short list fo shizzle, as is Mary Poppinshins (I used to be a nanny, too).

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
wonderful - i'm glad those names resonated with you, ivy. i think it would be a tough decision choosing an ace derby name.
perhaps more difficult than naming one's children.

:laugh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My daughter, I thought was going to be a boy, so we had a boy name picked out for her (she was going to be Jonah Benjamin). Then she had the audacity to be a girl, and we had to think up a name real quick in the hospital so they could put it on her birth certificate. Sure, we could have had them put "Baby Girl Lastname" and then filled out the paperwork for whatever name we picked later, but ugh, more paperwork? Nah. :D

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Names
Blue Devil
Christian Laettner
Shushefski
Honorary INTP
Knuckle Sammich

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1-3 = fuck you
4 = not anymore, thanks you you- see above
5 = kind of win! But probably taken. I will check. Though I am now IN LOVE with Strangling Modifier so a name will have to be really awesome to beat it.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I reaaaally like Strangling Modifier. It's Englishy/edit-y and it sounds like you're strangling AND modifying someone's person, to their detriment.

I really like Mary Poppinshins, too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Help me pick! Vote early, vote often!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hee, I couldn't pick just one. And there were others I liked in the poll, too. I picked the ones I thought fit, and also are easily "get-able."

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So I ended up going to a Roller Derby game as a promotional gig for where I work. I sat in for a bit. One of the team's names was "Sockit Wenches". Kinda clever.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does your place of business sponsor a team? If so, bless you/them.

My team has its first interleague bout this Sunday. (They've had two bouts where they split into teams and skated against each other, but this time a team from SC is coming up.) One of the other "fresh meat" girls is a tattoo artist and is making us all T-shirts that say "GSORD Fresh Meat 2011" on the front with a sweet-ass pic of a T-bone steak that she designed. And then we're going to stencil our derby names on the back. So I want to have one by then. Hence the poll! I voted for all the options because I don't want to affect the outcome and also because I like them all, which is why I'm undecided. There are a handful of them that I LOVE (I mean seriously, Pat Minotaur, that is BRILL) but don't seem to quite fit me for whatever reason. So I appreciate the input.

To make this vaguely on-topic for the subforum it's in, I'm about a month into training and it's the hardest physical thing I've ever done with the possible exception of havin' babies. And that only took less than a day- this is harder in some ways, because it's sustained effort over weeks and months. But it's kind of addictive, also. I hurt all the time, but it kind of feels good in a way. That sounds crazy now that I've typed it out.

O

Oberon

Oddly, I was thinking of Manfred Mann's cover of "Blinded by the Light" this morning (singing it in the shower actually) and thought of "Butt Mama."

It would even give you your own theme song sound clip: "Butt Mama -- That's where the fun is!"

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I voted, now where's my pin? so I can brag to everyone that I'm a good citizen and voted.