• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roller derby

Vote on a derby name!

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does anybody here skate on a derby team? I went to tryouts for a team about an hour away from me tonight. Stayed and watched the team practice- it was INTENSE. Those girls work hard! Hope I can keep up.

T

ThatGirl

I don't but I have been asking everyone I know lately to go roller skating with me. Seems bad ass, and fun.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been to a few practices for a team that does not require tryouts.

I am just learning to skate so I haven't done anything intense yet, but it is a lot of fun.

For those who are tough (or want to be) and want a fun way to get moving and connect with people, I recommend.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really want to try it, but I can't do any sort of contact sport (is roller derby contact? I remember watching something and the all tackled each other) due to my surgery and stuff. Damn...

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i have a friend that's a roller derby maniac. her team dresses like slutty air hostesses. the girls are fierce, have awesome punny names, wear tight hot pants and fun makeup.

i've been to a few of my friend's meets and it scared me stupid. last time i watched there were three girls on crutches on the sidelines - all due to roller derby smack-about-ery.

ivy, if you do it your cool points will increase by at least 34%.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh yeah, roller derby is contact fo shizzle. One of the team members broke her femur last year. But they teach you how to fall safely and stuff like that before you can scrimmage.

I am currently taking suggestions for a derby name- my fallback option is Tremenda Sass.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Poison Ivy?

Is roller derby only for chicks? Always looked kick ass to me but I disagree with strawberries, cool points increase by at least 40%.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
WFTDA stands for Women's Flat Track Derby Association, so most of the leagues that are active now are women. I did read a thing recently about some men starting up their own leagues. But even WFTDA leagues have plenty of use for the mens- two of the coaches of the team I may join are dudes, and some of the refs are dudes.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ooh, cool, Ivy! My cousin does derby in New Orleans. I think it's awesome, but I would most assuredly get my scrawny, weak butt kicked.

Tremenda Sass is hilarious! Poison Ivy's good, too, but I bet there's already one on the league roster. I was really proud of some of the names I picked for my cousin, including Hermione Danger (which turned out to be taken, boo!). You could also make Ivy into I.V. --like someone's gonna need one after they deal with you. I'd have to think of how, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just found out that there are mens' derby teams. It's called- I kid you not- Merby. LOVE.

So I'm definitely going for it. I don't know how long it will take me to get good enough to actually skate in a bout because I am starting at a relatively pathetic level of fitness. (That's actually one of the biggest reasons I wanted to do this- along with "it's badass" and "oh my god it's SO BADASS.") The upside is that, although I'm not that fit, I'm actually not a terrible skater. And there is really no reason I could not become fit if I put in the work- there are women larger than me on the team already who kick serious tail.

Anyway, I'm in the "Fresh Meat" class and if I don't pass assessments by July, I can just join the next class and keep working on the basic skills until I can pass assessments. In the meantime, this has all but taken over my life and consciousness. I can't think of a name that I love. Tremenda Sass is fun and all, but when you say it out loud it really just sounds like you're saying Tremendous Ass. But on the other hand, my mother hates it, so that's a plus. Other ideas:

Butternut Squash
Death By Snu-Snu
Lacka Patience
Leroy Jenkins

The really sad thing is that my DJ name, Juice Box Hero, is already in use by another derby player, so I can't use it. Harumph.

Usehername

On a mission
This sounds like a job for all the Ne experts.

I got nothin' unless you want to steal your son's nic strategy and apply it in some way.

In other news, Ivy, I have a friend here in AZ who I couldn't type for the longest time. Is she ISFJ? Is she INFP? She's not ISFP or INTP or INTJ or ISTJ, but I couldn't figure out her type.

Then I decided she was Type Ivy. :yes: You are not alone. She's from Charleston, over in your area-ish of the country. Maybe you guys get bred with different nutrition as young children? IDK. There are 16 types and then Type Ivy.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Anyway, I'm in the "Fresh Meat" class and if I don't pass assessments by July, I can just join the next class and keep working on the basic skills until I can pass assessments. In the meantime, this has all but taken over my life and consciousness. I can't think of a name that I love. Tremenda Sass is fun and all, but when you say it out loud it really just sounds like you're saying Tremendous Ass.

Aw, I thought that was the appeal of it! Though it might sound more like a drag name than a derby name, since it doesn't imply you will kick said ass, only that you have one.

I hate that Juice Box Hero was taken, b/c that is awesome! Didn't we come up with a few more DJ names for you back then? Maybe one of those would work?

ANYHOO. I love nothing more than thinking up derby names, so here are some I just thought of for you. :smile: I haven't checked them against the list, though.

Syria S'injury (or however you wanna spell it)
Yes, Mayhem
Scarface Johannsen
Dixie Martyr
The Sock-her Mom

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
THOSE ARE AWESOME. I love Yes Mayhem! That is a serious contender. I've been trying to think of stuff that would go along with my line of work. It really seems like there should be some kind of play on words I could make with the term "editorial license," but I can't think of it. "Irony" would also be a fun word to fit into a derby name. It's eluding me, though.

Some of the other girls in my fresh meat class have great names already. One is Rusty Syringe. Another is Breezy Brutal Covergirl. A third is Alexandroid.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ha, I love Breezy Brutal Covergirl!

Hmmm...the only thing I can think of is "Predator" in place of "Editor." Maybe Predator-in-Chief? I don't think you'd be able to get the license part in and still have people get that you're going for an editor pun.

I'll keep thinking for editor and irony stuff!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
OMG. That's wonderful. Don't you think Predatorial License would work? (And it's an example of it!)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Actually I think I'm mixing up the definitions of editorial license and poetic license.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
OMG. That's wonderful. Don't you think Predatorial License would work? (And it's an example of it!)

It works! The only things I would think about are a) there might be some that aren't familiar with the phrase "editorial license," (but probably most would be), and b) it sounds more like a thing than a person. BUT, it still sounds badass!

Edit: Thought of something with irony... "The Ironic Woman," (like The Bionic Woman). People our age would get it. :-D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
hahahaha- I was just looking at the database and I happened to glance at this one:

Britches 'n' Hose

Brilliant! I wish I were clever like that.