User Tag List

First 234

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Heh. Very compelling argument. Do you have any reasons other than the complexity of THACO?
    Mostly the pictures were cooler.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Mostly the pictures were cooler.
    Well, then you ought to have picked the original red and blue boxed sets! I still love those (have them lurking somewhere) for the character and illustrations.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

4th ed takes muchkins, powergamers and the calculons out to the shed and give them a right good pasting.

As far as I've seen there is no more efficient combinations, no "oh I've GOT to have one of those or I'll DIE" and very little cause to ever look up a rule (though burst and blast are confusingly similar at the beginning).

Anyhow I'm as yet unsure whether the cut down version encourages players to add their own colour or if it'll turn out to be weak and watery leaving everyone hankering for just a little of the 3/3.5 ed power. We're just starting out with it though so time will tell.

One thing I do like however is that it seems to have taken the number crunching out of the game. My INTJ friend would regularly play characters that by a certain level were nigh invincible. He'd do it as just an exercise... proof of the games flaws. I think he saw 4th ed and just thought "Err....." (it's taken him till now to even look at the book properly!!)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    4th ed takes muchkins, powergamers and the calculons out to the shed and give them a right good pasting.

As far as I've seen there is no more efficient combinations, no "oh I've GOT to have one of those or I'll DIE" and very little cause to ever look up a rule (though burst and blast are confusingly similar at the beginning).

Anyhow I'm as yet unsure whether the cut down version encourages players to add their own colour or if it'll turn out to be weak and watery leaving everyone hankering for just a little of the 3/3.5 ed power. We're just starting out with it though so time will tell.

One thing I do like however is that it seems to have taken the number crunching out of the game. My INTJ friend would regularly play characters that by a certain level were nigh invincible. He'd do it as just an exercise... proof of the games flaws. I think he saw 4th ed and just thought "Err....." (it's taken him till now to even look at the book properly!!)
    Well they seem determined to fix the power combos. Which is a shame, blade cascade looked good for my ranger

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well they seem determined to fix the power combos. Which is a shame, blade cascade looked good for my ranger
    One side of me celebrates the return to playing a character instead of a number crunching exercise with a name. The other side mourns the loss of such colourful intensity in the name of game balance.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Well, then you ought to have picked the original red and blue boxed sets! I still love those (have them lurking somewhere) for the character and illustrations.
    About ten years ago, my sister's friend bequeathed a stack of old sourcebooks, and a friend of mine recently gave me the Fiend Folio.

To the general topic, I just ran my first session in about eight years. Two players, ninety minutes, no combat, a few saving rolls, one cast spell. Everything came down to roleplaying and DM-player interaction; and it was a marvelous time.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The other side mourns the loss of such colourful intensity in the name of game balance.
    Ah, yes. In 2nd edition and before everyone knew that if you played a Mage, you'd be teh suck for a few levels, but you'd be invincible after level 17 or so. Now it's "you mages and fighters play nice now, you're all great!"

MBTI
    INFP

Are monks still OP?
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INXP

What's OP?

It might answer your question anyway, that Monks aren't with us yet. Probably PHB2.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It means overpowered.