User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    NWN2 is pretty good a year later. I wisely (as it turns out) waited a year while they ironed all the bugs out... it runs pretty smoothly with a pretty decent plot and good game mechanics with a modern machine and patched up to date now. Plus it's a bargain purchase by now, and.... more and more classic modules have been adapted for NWN2 by the community. Keep of the Borderlands anyone?
    My initial impressions of and limited playing experience regarding NWN2, due to the lack of "ironing" you mentioned, was good but not great. It is not a bad game by any means but I had sort of expected better from Chris Avellone. (Maybe I was expecting another Planescape: Torment...) I'll keep your recommendation in mind -- once I upgrade my system.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Love the fact that bards (and was it necromancers?) now can wear chain shirts without arcane spell failure % hitting the roof... But that was 3.0 changes, wonder what will be new in the 4.0 :rolli:

Hopefully something fun for the melee classes.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Woo-hoo! Now you are talking!

What about "Against the Giants?" And did they ever do "White Plume Mountain" or "Tomb of Horrors"?
    All of them are available for NWN1. Which can be bought for next to nothing... if you want to go for NWN2 (need an up to date machine, but I like the way you can control the whole party properly).

At the moment...

Tomb of Horrors : Aside from the lots of versions for NWN1...One has appeared for NWN2 that I am tempted to try :

Tomb of Horrors Revisited v1.4 -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault

NWN2 top modules here :

Neverwinter News, Trailers, Screenshots, Previews, Reviews, Guides -- Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault

You know... getting some sort of proper DM'd NWN1 or NWN2 party based module together played by real people would be a lot of fun...!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Love the fact that bards (and was it necromancers?) now can wear chain shirts without arcane spell failure % hitting the roof... But that was 3.0 changes, wonder what will be new in the 4.0 :rolli:
    NERF THE BARDS! BUA HA HA!

That's what'll happen.

More seriously, how did they balance that out for the class?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

How popular is D&D now? I was afraid that it's popularity was dying out. It might just be me. All of my gaming groups died out. Man I love to role play.

My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition

Dungeons and Dragons just came out with its 4th edition last month. Has anyone taken a look at this yet? I was flipping through the Player's Handbook at Barnes and Noble the other day, and it looked radically different from 3rd edition. My impression that the differences between 3.5 and 4th edition are greater than the differences between AD&D first edition and 3.5.

Part of this may simply be because they formatted the book quite differently compared to the first three editions. For example in the past they used to put all of the spells in the back, but now they put all the wizard spells under the wizard class description, all of the cleric spells under the cleric class description, etc.... However there are still look like a lot of changes.

There are only eight classes now. They took out Barbarian, Druid, Monk, Sorcerer, and Bard and added Warlock and Warlord (which is closer to cleric than fighter, in spite of the name). Hit points are fixed per level now instead of rolled. Every classed gets so many "healing charges" per day, so they have some ability to heal themselves. Gnome and Half-Orc races were deleted, while Dragonkin and Tiefling races were added.

All classes have powers now. For example even the fighter gets several powers at first level and then requires more regularly. Abilities are defined as either "at will", "once per encounter", or "once per day". "At will" powers tend to be minor, "once per encounter" are moderately powered, and "once per day" powers tend to be your most powerful abilities. Like for a fighter, an "at will" power might give a +2 to hit, a "once per encounter" ability might do an extra die of damage, and a "once per day" ability might do an extra die of damage and give the foe a penalty for the rest of the combat.

Wizard spells and spellbooks look pretty different. Spells are basically just like the powers that everyone else gets, and I think you only get them when you go up a level. I'll have to check again, but I don't think you acquire new spells by capturing spellbooks. Instead I think the Wizard gets twice the powers of the other classes and then picks which half he'll use that day. That is how he picks his spells. Other than that spells work just like powers I described above. Like Magic Missle can be used at will, while Fireball is once per day.

Overall it looks like a very different system that what I am used to with D&D. I wouldn't mind trying it since I like trying new things, and while it might be very fun I'm not sure how much it will "feel" like D&D. Anyone else have some opinions or additional info they'd like to share about this?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    INXP

Been busy playing it with a group by Skype. It's good... tighter focus, and the other classes will follow in due courses.

All the classes, melee included, get some "magic" feel by having encounter and daily powers.

Other than that, as always, it's up to the group how much they roleplay.

So far, I'm impressed.

MBTI
    ENTP

What class are you playing Geoff, and how does that class feel compared to earlier editions?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Judging by substantive Amazon reviews, the new edition draws sharp opinions from rules-oriented groups. Those who approve either reject that Wizards of the Coast seeks to appeal to the MMO demographic; or were already practicing grid-based combat.

My groups, loosely based on Second Edition rules, were animated by roleplaying; and, in the stages of preparing for the first group in nearly ten years, I'm fine-tuning a highly simplified and amalgamated system, so remain pretty ambivalent. Though I agree that such a radical alteration, however strong, probably shouldn't be called Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast have certainly established system credibility with Magic: The Gathering.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Those who approve either reject that Wizards of the Coast seeks to appeal to the MMO demographic; or were already practicing grid-based combat.
    Yeah one think I was thinking as I was flipping through the books is that 4th ed. resembles an MMO more than earlier editions. On the one hand this seems like it makes D&D even less realistic than before. On the other hand D&D was never terribly realistic even for a game that takes place in a fantasy world. Even in 1st edition a high level fighter could jump off of a mountain top, take about 70 points of damage, and then rush into battle.

I'm not sure if it's wise to follow the MMO trend though. I don't think D&D can beat MMO's at their own game. But there are plenty of things that D&D can do that MMO's can't. D&D ultimately only has one limitation and that is the DM's imagination, which is something MMO's will never be able to beat.