EII None

Who's Jacob??
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I'm glad Desmond survived. He's one of my favorite characters. I'm not a fan of Penny; she annoys me.

Who trashed the communication systems on the boat?

Is this what explains the Oceanic Six? The rest all die from time travel side effects?

Is Faraday the key? Is he the man in the casket?
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I saw this theory on another thread. It was a repost so I'm not sure where the original came from (someone named Brennan):

What if everyone who was on the beach when the hatch imploded was exposed to a level of electromagnetism that makes it dangerous for them to leave the island? The four members of the Oceanic 6 who we know of so far are: Kate, Jack, Hurley and Sayid. None of them were anywhere near the beach when the sky turned purple. Kate, Jack and Hurley were on the other side of the island at the dock. Sayid was halfway around the island on the sailboat. Maybe only the people who were at the dock or on the sailboat can travel through the barrier safely (at least right now). This would make Sawyer, Jin and Sun, the only other losties who could leave. Sawyer doesn't want to leave, but Sun and Jin do, so that's how we get the Oceanic 6.

Obviously Aaron would have to be an exception to this rule and the logical reason why he would be an exception is because he is so young. Here's my contribution to the theory. Right now (island time) Aaron is so young that he doesn't have a clearly formed concept of time. Because he doesn't yet understand the concepts of future and past his consciousness can't start jumping around in time. But when he gets old enough to understand the concept of time then he will be in the same situation as everyone else who was on the beach. It will be dangerous for him to go through the barrier.

That would explain why Kate has Aaron. If the best thing for Aaron would be for him to leave the island now, but it isn't safe for Claire to leave, she would give him to someone who could leave. This works especially well if Dan is going to start trying to come up with a way that would make it safe for the beach people to leave the island. Then the separation would only be temporary.

Is that why Jack becomes such a mess? Because as time goes by and the other losties don't show up he starts to believe that Dan's plan hasn't worked and he feels responsible for leaving the others behind?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Hmmm... it might explain Ben's warning that "everyone on this island will die" once the rescuers arrive. Not because the "rescuers" are evil and want to kill them but because the act of leaving kills them.
    Last edited by anii; 03-03-2008 at 03:50 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I haven't really been able to participate in this thread because I have been behind for a few weeks -- as it is, I still have to watch the Desmond episode and have been viewing everything via the streaming HD video off the ABC website.

But I have to say that the ending of the episode about Kate and her trial was just a jawdropper -- such a beautiful piece of misdirection throughout! Every context clue, all the beliefs and insinuations of the characters lead the viewers to assume one thing and never question the assumption... so the ending (which reveals the trick) is SO shocking... and especially in regards to its implications for other characters on the series.

I'll read the thread after I watch this last one...hopefully before thursday.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Merged some similar LOST-themed threads.

And I loved that episode too, Jennifer. The whole thing turned on the last word spoken during the last second of the episode.

I'm not used to watching this in realtime (i.e. one episode per week)! I'm used to being able to skip to the next episode on the disc, or at most wait for the next one to be delivered from Netflix. This is too much for my poor heart to hannana, as the Black Crowes say.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    And I loved that episode too, Jennifer. The whole thing turned on the last word spoken during the last second of the episode.
    yup, clearly could be labeled an "OH, F---!" moment.

I am not surprised really often, so I love it when a storyteller totally catches me off-guard like that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I think Michael is Ben's spy on the boat (and the person that opened the medical room door).
    Who is Michael again? The older bearded helicopter pilot, or someone else?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Michael- the black guy from the first two seasons, father to the strange young lad who keeps appearing to people. I forgot his name but the Others gave him back because he was creeping them out.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Michael- the black guy from the first two seasons, father to the strange young lad who keeps appearing to people. I forgot his name but the Others gave him back because he was creeping them out.
    How can you forget WALT!???