• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter is Over rated

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
there, I've said it. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the books, but I don't get the hooplah associated with it is all about. Yet everyone I know is so excited about the new movie, and I'm like I don't care. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on dvd, but i don't care otherwise. who else agrees?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree. I'm going to take my kids to watch the movie, but otherwise I probably even wouldn't have caught it on DVD. There are much worse things that are overrated though...

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I really liked the books, but I didn't pay much attention to the movies so far. I believe I have seen the first movie, but I didn't pay attention when the other movies came out, I don't even know what was the latest which came out.

But the question why there is so much hype about it never came over me. It doesn't matter to me, I am not wondering when other people like the movies, I just wasn't interested so far. There is lots of things which are popular in society and which I don't like and vice versa. It is normal for me to not always be normal :D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've liked the fourth movie the best of all of them so far.

It's been years since I've read em, but I think I liked the 5th book the best.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I used to love it, but now I think the story has some sides that I like less. Look, Harry Potter is practically an angel. That would be unthinkable in reality. Everybody has their bad and earthy sides. Ever caught him on having any unpure thoughts? I don't think so. Yes, he does beat up Draco in the fifth book, but that's the only nasty thing he has done. I mean, come on, he's a fucking teenager and he doesn't ever have unclean thoughts? Gimme a break. Okay, they did that better in the movies where they sometimes suggested that he has any teenage boy thoughts, but come on! He's just too unreal.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
DISAGREE.. but not in that crazy potter-fan sort of way. I'm more into movies than books in general. I completely avoided the book-craze of HP until three years ago, but have always enjoyed the movies. :shrug: There's character and plot development, which is more than can be said for a number of other popular book/movie series and crazes. That and having had a group of those strange, crazed fans for friends gave it a nice warm place in my soul. :dry: Jerks.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wanna clarify. I've read all of the books. I liked the Cuaron directed movie. I'm a fan of a lot of Childrens and YA Fantasy. Harry Potter is overrated because there are dozens of authors out there that when compared with J.K. Rowling deserve that sort of fame and bank. But, you can't really get angry at someone for getting rich and famous.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
But, you can't really get angry at someone for getting rich and famous.

Sure you can. When they don't deserve it.

I'm more of a fan of fanon than canon, actually. It's a giant sandbox to play with. I personally dislike Harry as a character - he's much to whiny and not enough bad ass. He doesn't apply himself, he never realises his full potential, always needs others to tell him what to do. Whenever he shows some sign of a backbone, it disappears nearly as quickly as it came.

I am looking forward to seeing the film, though. I found the 6th one to be much better than the corresponding book, so I have high hopes for this one. It's exceedingly rare for me to be more excited with the film rather than the book.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Harry needs to go Goth or turn to the dark side (on a permanent basis) :vader1:

Update the image. Aren't werewolves and vampires all the rage now, anyways?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'll wait 20 years and then when noone remembers Harry Potter but everyone still remembers Star Wars, I'll know I did the right thing to never read a Harry Potter book :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure you can. When they don't deserve it.

Okay, you *can*. But I'd rather people not hate me when I become undeservedly rich. Then again, who cares? I'm rich.

xisnotx

Permabanned
It's rated pretty highly by the masses. I rate it highly though I suspect for different reasons. So yes, in some ways harry potter is overrated. (In others it underrated.)

F

figsfiggyfigs

*cuts off chknz head and watches her thrash* :threaten:

when I procreate/spawn my own little entj's, I will read Harry Potter to all of my kids and their kids

Entropie, not that you had anything to do with this decision, , I am now even more determined. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
dude don't get mad it is over rated. I'm not saying it isn't good, I'm just saying it's over rated

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Overrated? I think that depends on the context or what scale it's being measured on. As "great literature"? Probably overrated. As "a fun, engaging story"? Probably gets the credit it deserves (which is a lot -- for me, anyway). As "actually got 90's-00's kids to read"? Might not get as much credit as it really deserves. I was a kid in the 80's, and the only comparable cultural equivalent was Star Wars. Now, I love Star Wars (I actually mostly tolerate the gruesome prequels, even), but there's a big difference in getting kids excited about movies and toys compared to getting them interested in books -- especially when 90's-00's kids had so many other options, things like video games that weren't around in anywhere near the same way when I was a kid. Big props to JKR for that, even though I'm sure the books' success was beyond her wildest dreams and more than she intended.

I don't care so much about the movies. They're enjoyable, I've watched them all in the theater or on DVD, and I'll probably get the last book (two movies) adaptation on DVD when they're both released. But I don't really get all of the movie-hype. I already know how the story ends, which was the big draw.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Disagree, and I'm the queen of getting irritated when things are overrated. I've managed to avoid getting annoyed by all the fangirling and hype, and to actually thoroughly enjoy the books for what they are, which in my opinion are fun, funny, moving and creative. I could care less if I'm the only one that liked them or if the whole freaking world liked them. They're probably worth the hype as much as anything is. If you want to talk overrated, let's talk Twilight.

Also, saw the movie Friday night, and I think it's the best one yet. I don't quite understand people who haven't read the books but see the movies, because I have no idea how anyone would care or keep track of anything.

Lark

I think it is.

I've seen some of films and not read the books but read a blackwell companion called Harry Potter and Philosophy which unpicks a lot of the underlying possible philosophical meaning, which is mainly moral philosophy but had an interesting aside about the possibility that Rowling had thought or suggested Dumbledore was gay because she couldnt think of a compatible female partner equal in intellect. Dont know if that's true because I dont really know enough about Rowling.

The conspiracy theories about it are more interesting than the books themselves, ie that its another english effort to define or determine or frame the cultural life of readers like CS Lewis and Tolkein, I dont think so but its funny that someone would reach that conclusion.

I dont know if the stories about Rowling being on welfare when she lucked out with the first book about a neglected child going to wizarding school, which is remarkably similar to some public schools in England, are true either. There's a lot of elements from other stories or myth and legend recycled for that book, all that's really original are the 101 little magical elements like moving pictures, staircases, strange sweets or talking letters or quidditch but the stories about evil that cant be destroyed but which periodically re-emerges to be put down by heroes, possibly sacrificing themselves in the process are as old as time itself.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Overrated?

As "actually got 90's-00's kids to read"? Might not get as much credit as it really deserves.

I met a woman once who said she had bought her daughter all four (at the time) books because they "got kids to read." The girl never so much as cracked them open. :doh:

Probably an ESTP. :D

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I never was into the whole Harry Potter thing. Even as a kid, it just never appealed to me.