User Tag List

First 789

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I think the HP series worked better on film than it did on paper.
    I read a few of the books, years ago, just to see what all the fuss was about. The story idea itself is fine (albeit rather formulaic- ultimate battle between good/evil- but that's practically unavoidable), but its structure/language is just... sad. Adverbs abound. Trademark of bad writing, when your vocabulary is limited to [for the most part] adverbs to draw a picture in the reader's mind. If I'd read that series as a child, I'd feel as though the author held some sort of condescension toward children... overly simplistic phrasing (within a novel) feels somewhat like sophisticated babytalk, to me. But then, I was reading rather heavy works when I was young, so my perception may be off about that last bit.

LOlz i liked the series for all the points you mentioned against it.

English second language, vocabulary limited, 13 years old and definitely didn't need nor would have appreciated grey characters. So that book was exactly what i needed.

I started reading lord of the rings at the same age but didn't like it because it was draggy and the language sounded old. It ALSO had black and white characters with the exception of BOROMIR. So i wonder whether you liked it?

Hobbit i like and liked more than the LOTRs.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    LOlz i liked the series for all the points you mentioned against it.

English second language, vocabulary limited, 13 years old and definitely didn't need nor would have appreciated grey characters. So that book was exactly what i needed.

I started reading lord of the rings at the same age but didn't like it because it was draggy and the language sounded old. It ALSO had black and white characters with the exception of BOROMIR. So i wonder whether you liked it?

Hobbit i like and liked more than the LOTRs.
    I liked LOTR/The Hobbit, but I actually preferred Dune & The Wheel of Time Series, more, if we're talking fantasy.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Riva

I liked LOTR/The Hobbit, but I actually preferred Dune & The Wheel of Time Series, more, if we're talking fantasy.
    Don't you see any similarities between the plots in lotrs and hp?

They are all black and white characters (esp in lotr) where the good had to triumph over evil.

Infact hp had more grey characters (snape, james potter) and had characters we couldn't pass judgement on (the death eaters).

In both the serieses the plots were do or die. It was a matter of who would due in the process.

I should look into that series you mentioned. So thanks in advance .

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Don't you see any similarities between the plots in lotrs and hp?

They are all black and white characters (esp in lotr) where the good had to triumph over evil.

Infact hp had more grey characters (snape, james potter) and had characters we couldn't pass judgement on (the death eaters).

In both the serieses the plots were do or die. It was a matter of who would due in the process.

I should look into that series you mentioned. So thanks in advance .
    I couldn't BEGIN to list the other fantasies that the author of HP ripped off. So many. Sorry, I mean her "inspirations," or "influences." She may not be aware of where her mind picked up some of her plot devices/characters, etc.
    I'm sure some parallels are unavoidable within the genre, though.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I couldn't BEGIN to list the other fantasies that the author of HP ripped off. So many. Sorry, I mean her "inspirations," or "influences."
    Quentin Tarantino in a nutshell.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

I didn't really enjoy the last 3 movies. It just seemed like meandering and they just ran out of ideas or something.

MBTI
    yupp

ffs: over rated does not equal bad. over rated means people make a bigger deal out of something than it actually is
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    From what I've read (the 1st three books), I agree that it's overrated but not a complete waste of time. If I had kids I wouldn't mind them reading it, but I would also recommend some better children's literature like Madeleine L'Engle and C.S. Lewis.
    I'm literally...spazzing out...with how much this is wrong...

I can't...evn...form..sentenc...

YOURE RONG!

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

@xisnotx

OK.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Look, HP is famous because it is well plotted, has a good ratio of characters, is paced well, and is written in very simple language. It is set to be a hit because it is easy enough for lots of people to read, and the storyline is complicated enough to interest people who are readers. She does a decent job of creating atmosphere as well. That stuff she said about plotting the whole thing out at the beginning was untrue, though. She plotted some stuff, but she changed the trajectory of the story at least once. I know because I read the series.

HP is not original. It is ultimately a derivative of Tolkien. And secondarily she borrows from other authors, as well. A lot.

Tolkien is objectively the greatest fantasy author of the modern era. He created the whole thing, and his work is much, much greater than HP. Anyone who compares the two doesn't have 'taste'. You may get more enjoyment from HP; that's true. No one disputes that fast food has a certain appeal; however, it isn't to be compared to advanced cooking.