User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Overrated or not, I still remember having the book read to my class like 10 years ago (? somewhere around there) as a thing my teacher did for the class being good.

Elementary school years hehe.

Loved the books. I'm not that interested in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I'll wait 20 years and then when noone remembers Harry Potter but everyone still remembers Star Wars, I'll know I did the right thing to never read a Harry Potter book

MBTI
    INFP

The movies are, I think. The books are great.

I love the books and think they might actually be underrated. While I do have issues with some of Rowling's characterization, I also find a lot of her characters lovable and easy to identify or empathize with. Even more importantly, she managed to create a rich, lush world that readers could make easily their own by populating with their own imaginations. You only need to look at the plethora of fanfiction and play-by-post RPGs to see that there's something about the series that allows readers to engage and participate in the HP universe in an active and involved fashion.

Is JKR the first person in the world ever to create a universe that people can internalize and individualize? Absolutely not. But saying that Star Wars/LotR/fandom of your choice did it first doesn't in any way detract from her achievement.

I will say that with the exception of the most recent one, none of the movies ever felt right to me. It was like stepping into a familiar, well-loved world only to find that the sheen and colour that had made it so appealing were gone. I like to think that I've open to other people's opinions and interpretations, but it was mildly depressing to realize that there were people who didn't believe that the things I found valuable were worth preserving.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    there, I've said it. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the books, but I don't get the hooplah associated with it is all about. Yet everyone I know is so excited about the new movie, and I'm like I don't care. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on dvd, but i don't care otherwise. who else agrees?
    I remember when the last book came out a few years back. I locked myself in my room to read it while my roomate through a house party! (Yes I'm Enfp). I really dug the books, and enjoyed the movies too though not as much as the books. I also got caught up in the 'Twilight' series! I got so much crap from my NT friends.. but didn't care. I've also read Neitzsche, Rand, etc. and still didn't get the high I got reading the Potter series! lol. I just think reading any fictional book can be such therapeutic escapsim. And the Potter books were fantastic at this.

Now the hype that hit beyond the books.. like people dressing up in wizard costumes, creating real life Gryffendor goups, etc.. that was lame. LAME LAME LAME. Someone earlier said they try not to say anythings over rated, and I agree. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If you can find something to escape this sometimes dreary, drab ass reality.. MORE POWER TO YA!
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Now if you wanted to rag on the mindless reality tv zombies, I could go to town on that one =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

I totally agree that HP is overrated. I've seen the first film and decided I never want to see another one - and promised to myself never to read the books (although otherwise I'm a total bookworm )

There's just something about HP and Friends that irks me big time...
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred the Unready View Post
    There's just something about HP and Friends that irks me big time...
    Probably the fact that you subconsciously consider reading Harry Potter to be uncool.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I received my first HP book as a gift from an uncle I had never met, back in the third grade(1999-2000). I had always liked stories, but had never really been a big reader. In fact, I hated everything to do with reading and writing. You wouldn't know it now. Harry Potter single-handedly got me interested in reading. It really took off from there. I can't imagine what I would have done if I wouldn't have found reading, because for years after that I used it to escape from the majority of the issues in my life. I loved the series, I own them all, read them out of order from time to time, and all and all think they're pretty good books. The movies are OK, I think the first one for me was magical, I didn't really care for two, I loved three, and I hated four. Five was good, six wasn't my favorite, and seven pt.1 was pretty good.

Riva

First of all i loved the books and the movies. Third book was my favourite because for once there was a mystery to be solved without the whole school staring at harry.

Second am i the only one who thinks luna livegood and harry would have made a better couple than harry and ginny? Too bad the author didn't add a proper love life to the main character and exploit his emotions (emotions other than anger).

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I've liked the fourth movie the best of all of them so far.

It's been years since I've read em, but I think I liked the 5th book the best.
    Dude i would have never guessed that you've read harry potter.