User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTp

I can never find myself saying that something or anything is "over rated" because I find that anything that anyone may like in this world, chances are there is going to be quite a lot of people that would like it as well. So should I change my opinion of it because of ours? To say something is over rated in my opinion is pointless, but I guess sometimes I forget that other people's opinion matter as well. *sigh

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know if the stories about Rowling being on welfare when she lucked out with the first book about a neglected child going to wizarding school, which is remarkably similar to some public schools in England, are true either. There's a lot of elements from other stories or myth and legend recycled for that book, all that's really original are the 101 little magical elements like moving pictures, staircases, strange sweets or talking letters or quidditch but the stories about evil that cant be destroyed but which periodically re-emerges to be put down by heroes, possibly sacrificing themselves in the process are as old as time itself.
    I have read all the HP books and seen all the movies save the last. Lark's comments here point out some of what I enjoy about the series, namely how it weaves together aspects of "normal life" (the English public school system), timeless archetypes, tidbits from myth and legend, and Rowling's own inventions. The school setting itself reminds me quite a bit of the school in Delderfield's To Serve Them All My Days.

As to whether the stories are overrated, it depends upon whose rating one is considering. I find the books entertaining, engaging, and thought-provoking. There is almost nothing in the experience of present-day teenagers that does not have an analogy in the series, which makes them good fodder for discussion. I am less impressed by the movies, which sacrifice more than necessary in the interests of meeting budget and time constraints. The 6th movie I found particularly lacking. I agree with the person who cited fanon, and have read much wonderful fanfiction. All the rest I can do without, and agree is excessive hype. This includes theme parks, toys, games, etc. etc. Stick to the books, and perhaps the movies; the DIY creativity spawned in fanfic, and ignore the rest.

MBTI
    INTj

Harry who?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Snape was the only character I ever felt any sort of interest in or attachment to in the series, but I did enjoy reading the books despite how insufferable Harry was. As others have said, there is some wonderful fan fiction out there, and as far as the movies go, the older actors have been doing a great job even if the plot has suffered. I've never been a rabid fan, but I go to the premieres, and I knit myself a Slytherin scarf this past fall which has turned out to be very useful in the bitter weather we've been having lately. I still have the books and re-read them on occasion.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Is the major appeal of the series the depth of the 'parallel' world? When you have a long series, there is more incentive to flesh out the world in depth, rather than rely on the readers imagination to smooth over the holes.

I can' tell whether Pratchett's Discworld series is so appealing to me since I have read so many of those books, or whether each individual story is also very good.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    ^^^I agree. The newer films are much better than the early ones. They have more to work with, also. The Cuaron directed once is an exception.
    Are you serious? I thought the third and fourth films were the best. All of the others, especially the newer ones, are crappy. I was looking forward to the action parts of the fifth, sixth, and seventh films, but in the fifth it was truncated to a five second clip, in the sixth it was overshadowed by an overlong, sappy vigil for Dumbledore (that fuck...I waited so long for him to die), and in the seventh it was shot like Twilight. It's also very painful remembering those scenes from the sixth film where Dumbledore is talking to Harry...SO boring, and so corny. It doesn't help that Michael Gambon's Dumbledore comes off either as his usual asshole-type character or as comic relief.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

One of my favorite actors is/was Richard Harris, so I like the early ones more, for that alone. I don't mind the other actor, but..

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Man... I actually favor the second Dumbledore.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Heh, there was one scene in the fourth film that I replayed over and over again involving Dumbledore scuttling down the stairs, all composure lost, and then shaking Harry violently whilst slurrily shrieking "did you pught your naame in the goblet of fiiiaaah?." It was the scene right after the one where the goblet ejaculated Harry's name.

Actually, here it is.

[YOUTUBE="yZh9E16pMcg"]Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire?[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="b4JgjXWEhs0"]Angry Dumbledore[/YOUTUBE]
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Hey now... it's mad time's they're living in.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green