User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter is Over rated

4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    Sure you can. When they don't deserve it.
    Okay, you *can*. But I'd rather people not hate me when I become undeservedly rich. Then again, who cares? I'm rich.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I'll wait 20 years and then when noone remembers Harry Potter but everyone still remembers Star Wars, I'll know I did the right thing to never read a Harry Potter book
    That is not going to happen.

Permabanned Array

It's rated pretty highly by the masses. I rate it highly though I suspect for different reasons. So yes, in some ways harry potter is overrated. (In others it underrated.)

*cuts off chknz head and watches her thrash*

when I procreate/spawn my own little entj's, I will read Harry Potter to all of my kids and their kids

Entropie, not that you had anything to do with this decision, , I am now even more determined.

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

dude don't get mad it is over rated. I'm not saying it isn't good, I'm just saying it's over rated
    by @magpie

Overrated? I think that depends on the context or what scale it's being measured on. As "great literature"? Probably overrated. As "a fun, engaging story"? Probably gets the credit it deserves (which is a lot -- for me, anyway). As "actually got 90's-00's kids to read"? Might not get as much credit as it really deserves. I was a kid in the 80's, and the only comparable cultural equivalent was Star Wars. Now, I love Star Wars (I actually mostly tolerate the gruesome prequels, even), but there's a big difference in getting kids excited about movies and toys compared to getting them interested in books -- especially when 90's-00's kids had so many other options, things like video games that weren't around in anywhere near the same way when I was a kid. Big props to JKR for that, even though I'm sure the books' success was beyond her wildest dreams and more than she intended.

I don't care so much about the movies. They're enjoyable, I've watched them all in the theater or on DVD, and I'll probably get the last book (two movies) adaptation on DVD when they're both released. But I don't really get all of the movie-hype. I already know how the story ends, which was the big draw.

Disagree, and I'm the queen of getting irritated when things are overrated. I've managed to avoid getting annoyed by all the fangirling and hype, and to actually thoroughly enjoy the books for what they are, which in my opinion are fun, funny, moving and creative. I could care less if I'm the only one that liked them or if the whole freaking world liked them. They're probably worth the hype as much as anything is. If you want to talk overrated, let's talk Twilight.

Also, saw the movie Friday night, and I think it's the best one yet. I don't quite understand people who haven't read the books but see the movies, because I have no idea how anyone would care or keep track of anything.
    Something Witty

I think it is.

I've seen some of films and not read the books but read a blackwell companion called Harry Potter and Philosophy which unpicks a lot of the underlying possible philosophical meaning, which is mainly moral philosophy but had an interesting aside about the possibility that Rowling had thought or suggested Dumbledore was gay because she couldnt think of a compatible female partner equal in intellect. Dont know if that's true because I dont really know enough about Rowling.

The conspiracy theories about it are more interesting than the books themselves, ie that its another english effort to define or determine or frame the cultural life of readers like CS Lewis and Tolkein, I dont think so but its funny that someone would reach that conclusion.

I dont know if the stories about Rowling being on welfare when she lucked out with the first book about a neglected child going to wizarding school, which is remarkably similar to some public schools in England, are true either. There's a lot of elements from other stories or myth and legend recycled for that book, all that's really original are the 101 little magical elements like moving pictures, staircases, strange sweets or talking letters or quidditch but the stories about evil that cant be destroyed but which periodically re-emerges to be put down by heroes, possibly sacrificing themselves in the process are as old as time itself.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post

As "actually got 90's-00's kids to read"? Might not get as much credit as it really deserves.
    I met a woman once who said she had bought her daughter all four (at the time) books because they "got kids to read." The girl never so much as cracked them open.

Probably an ESTP.

I never was into the whole Harry Potter thing. Even as a kid, it just never appealed to me.