123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Kinect (for Xbox 360)

What are your thoughts speculations for the Kinect for Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect. Will it be a bang or a dud? Health or privacy issues or other concerns/hopes? Will it change or substantially expand how we play games or is it just window frosting? A killer app, just more junk or meh?

I am rather optimistic about this device and thinking about getting it for myself or as a gift to a loved one.

Discuss

Kinda reminds me of HAL

I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISFJ

I just want to play Project Draco (Yukio Futatsugi ) and Child of Eden ( Tetsuya Mizuguchi ). Two of my heroes making videogames again. And rail shooters at that

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    I just want to play Project Draco (Yukio Futatsugi ) and Child of Eden ( Tetsuya Mizuguchi ). Two of my heroes making video games again. And rail shooters at that
    Yeah those look cool. Flying games like Draco seem to complement the device. Games like Child of Eden w a big screen TV (especially if it could be done 3d) and a Kinect makes consider taking psychedelic mushrooms again.
    See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYWLYjOa_0
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Although I am not overly impressed with the launch titles one can see the potential. Althogh I have never played a dance game, this game seems pretty fun to play since the Kinect is involved. Plus it looks like good exercise (which comes to mind when one thinks about the modern trend of lockkey children not being allowed to play outside and sitting on the couch getting fat)

See:http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzz...l-video-review

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Yeah those look cool. Flying games like Draco seem to complement the device. Games like Child of Eden w a big screen TV (especially if it could be done 3d) and a Kinect makes consider taking psychedelic mushrooms again.
    See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYWLYjOa_0
    You ever played Rez? The HD version on a big screen with 5.1 sound system. There's you psychedelic experience.

I think the device has potential, if nothing else as the precursor for something even better.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    You ever played Rez? The HD version on a big screen with 5.1 sound system. There's you psychedelic experience.

I think the device has potential, if nothing else as the precursor for something even better.
    Yeah I played the original version of Rez back on the Dreamcast and think it (and games like Child of Eden) would be a great medium for the Kinect

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It doesn't have any games where I go, "Man I'd love to play that game." So my gut reaction is that it will flop. And from a financial perspective I doubt it will attract new users, because the price of a new XBox360 + Kinect is a lot more than the price of a Wii which has more games at a lower price. Then there is the third factor, which is that one should never get excited about anything that Microsoft comes out with.

So overall I don't have much hope for it.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

I'd probably just go for the PS3 version (move) because I've invested in it more. I have a 360, but it kind of collects dust.

I think it's cool, but I don't want these to become exclusive ways in controlling games. Normal game controllers + sitting on the couch is downright sacred. I don't want it taken away :rolli:

Seriously though, I had a Wii at one point, and it was fun when people were around.. but kind of a pain in the ass with single player games. It didn't encourage the same level of chillness that a controller does. It's not that I'm in bad shape, but I like to indulge in that. I like to just press a button to attack, not fully emulate unsheathing a sword, and then swinging around the room like a moron. It's cool at first, but games like.. Zelda are kind of long. The novelty wears off sooner or later. And they didn't give the option of using an old controller. You had to get the GameCube version if you wanted that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Hear is an interesting tidbit I came across that I am not completely clear on yet.

Planning on buying a Kinect this November? If you've got one of those ... not-so-Slim Xbox 360s, then you're gonna need some extra power outlets, as Microsoft tells us that older Xbox consoles will need a separate power supply for the motion controller add-on.

Does that mean a person without the most recent Xbox 360 will also need to buy and additional power supply when they purchase the Kinect or does it already come with any additional plugs if necessary.

I don't know what the price point on this is, but I know it works well and it's fun. A Microsoft guy brought one to my work a few weeks ago, and we played a river rafting game. It was super fun, and the device wasn't touchy or glitchy at all.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari