User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analysis of Graphic Novel to film Adaptations.

Consulting Detective Array Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar

Why aren't films with female leads more successful? Like Aeon Flux and Catwoman, where is Spiderwoman, Superwoman and Batgirl?
    Weren't those movies pretty bad? And I'm not sure what the appeal would be in watching a movie about a female version of an already famous male superhero. But then again, I've never read the comics, so I don't know.
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Well, Catgirl (starring Halle Berry) won the Razzie of the Year award and was #1 on many reviewers Top Ten Worst Movie list that year.

The only friend of mine who saw it says she turned it off after 20 minutes.

There actually was a SuperGirl movie, I think, years ago -- did it star Helen Slater? -- but it pretty much sank like the proverbial lump of Kryptonite. Even the "real" Superman franchise has sorta sucked. Superman I and II were the best, and had their flaws. There was more promising work with the TV series (like Smallville) based on the Superman franchise... and until Nolan's reboot of the Batman franchise, frankly Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond (both cartoons) had more emotional depth and interest than the movies.

The problem with some of the female superheroes is that they were originally just spinoffs of the male hero, rather than having true life and origin in themselves. Batgirl, Supergirl, Hawkgirl, etc... all of them were added after a male hero was created.

Females who were created from scratch had a reason to exist. This is why Jean Grey /Phoenix, for example, was such a tragic story -- she was part of the original X-Men in her own right, and so her personal story/drama came from its own seed rather than being based on someone else's story.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

This is what gets me they are make Wolverine II and there is going to be Magneto and First Class another spin off from X-Men, but where is Jean Grey, Rogue or a Storm film you know I would of thought at least a spin off would happen for Phoenix at least.

Senior Member Array

Claremont's Phoenix/Jean Grey has the potential to be a really good movie! The only problem with that story line is that it's an ongoing tragedy for Logan/Wolverine.

If you haven't watched 300, it was excellent! Never followed the comic or graphic novel but the movie was well worth the price of admission.

Miller's Sin City in both graphic novel and movie were also excellent.