• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has a song ever made you feel physically sick before?

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To the OP : I've had songs make me feel claustrophobic, panicky and physically ill before. Like I want to jump out of my skin if I have to sit through one of them. I don't know if it's repetition of a sound I don't like, or the lyrics, or maybe a memory they might evoke, but it can feel awful.

But, it must be added that I have a very sensitive nervous system, and if I'm having a bad day physically, I can be susceptible to feeling overpowered by noises, or someone else's trains of thought foisted off on me in music.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This can be related to synesthesia.

Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I feel physically sick when I listen to most Nu-Metal. Disturbed, particularly.
It ranges from feelings of despair, claustrophobia, just pure black depression etc.
Triggers stuff in my brain that I really freaking hate.

Edit: on the other hand, some music makes me almost euphoric, no matter what mood I was in before.
Some makes me want to conquer and burn stuff. Not words, here. It can be a matter of combinations of tones, bass, rhythm etc.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Man oh man, any of that gap pap dirty south clap trap rap crap. BOOM BOOM BOOM from the stereo. Lil Wanye I'm looking at you(you sound like you need to be put out of your misery already, sounding like a dying weasel), along with the countless other minstrel show talentless hacks.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Man oh man, any of that gap pap dirty south clap trap rap crap. BOOM BOOM BOOM from the stereo. Lil Wanye I'm looking at you(you sound like you need to be put out of your misery already, sounding like a dying weasel), along with the countless other minstrel show talentless hacks.

Crunk. Is horrible. Whoever thought that singing into a Perfect Pitch machine should be chased down the street by angry villagers. Henry Rollins was right when he said that nobody has to be talented to sing these days.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unfortunately, lots of stuff. I don't know the names of half of them...I've had times when I literally freak out and I'm desperately trying to change the channel (or get away from somebody's $99 special XTRA BASS speakers). Bad music makes me feel like I bit into something rotten...I'm not kidding. Something moist, nasty, moldy and rotten.

So, yes to the OP.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Dixieland jazz can make me feel like I want to jump out of my skin after awhile and some hard-core Country can do it too. It's either too busy :blink: or too maudlin. :cry:

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
I feel physically sick when I listen to most Nu-Metal. Disturbed, particularly.
It ranges from feelings of despair, claustrophobia, just pure black depression etc.
Triggers stuff in my brain that I really freaking hate.

Edit: on the other hand, some music makes me almost euphoric, no matter what mood I was in before.
Some makes me want to conquer and burn stuff. Not words, here. It can be a matter of combinations of tones, bass, rhythm etc.

I think this is kinda what I was getting at, along with what LadyJaye said (but I haven't learnt to multiquote yet) It could just be a certain sentiment or sound quality that sets off really instinctual reactions, like I've literally burst out laughing, or become a little breathless during the playful part of 'The Sacrifice' by Michael Nyman without meaning to...seems a little extreme at times though.

Zukram.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sick, no, but I have very specific tastes in what I'll actually listen to. Generally, having to listen to anything I don't like(especially Southern Rap and R&B) will piss me off, even more so if I shouldn't have to hear it(like the idiots who come into public places blasting their music--there is NO REASON why everyone should have to hear your music if you have headphones on!! [/RANT])

It's really just a matter of taste for me. Sometimes I go through my friends' iPods to see what they have, and I'll run through the list with a disgusted look on my face thinking "I can't believe you listen to this garbage!" All in all I'd say it's not really a sick feeling, but more of annoyed one.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I've gone through a lot of physical pain while making this list. Here you can witness the songs that make me feel horrible.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ncakGlWDyw&ob=av2n"]So now you want to make me feel bad about being single?![/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4635rbz7Ak"]Sure, Alicia Keys made some very lovely songs, but this kills me[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8mo9IOT30&ob=av2n"]I used to love this song, but now it just brings back bad memories[/YOUTUBE]

Sure there are plenty of other songs that make me feel bad, but I don't have the power for making the list any longer right now.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anything by Rascal Flats, Dragonforce, Alicia Keys singing really high, most country music...and Katy Perry now...I used to like her too.

And every time I change CDs in my car, the radio station will play the same damn song every 10 minutes for about a month, and I just want to punch it.

Oh jeez, how on earth could I forget Nickelback?! :sick:
And anything that sounds remotely close to them as well.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That song "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia or whatever her name is makes me really mad and upset. That is an absolute HORRID song. The tune gives me such a headache!!

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Real horrorshow...

a-clockwork-orange-alex.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw a band called Oh Montreal last weekend and the skirt the lead singer was wearing made me sick. I left after 10 minutes of the performance. Terrible.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hearing a song that was shared with someone who is gone, when the pain was still fresh, made me physically ill.