User Tag List

First 34567 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    NASCAR's right up there with professional wrestling in my book of "What Is Hell Like."
    hey now.... dont go throwing Professional Wrestling in there ok? there are extremely sophisticated things going on in professional wrestling.....

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EarU--5cYOE]College Stats made Easy[/YOUTUBE]

its like.... auto-self-satiring..... so beautiful....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think they must be beyond my womanly understanding.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

seriously, watch that clip. there exists LAYERS of sophistication to professional wrestling!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I find it interesting. There is complexity to it and there are strategies and skills used. I don't watch it every time it's on like many people seem to do but I do find interest in it.

Edit: noz's clip is kind of funny. Seems very much like he is trying to just confuse the woman and watchers while discretely showing that he does actually understand the math.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Smile Football is not a matter of life and death.

I played football at school and what I remember is the sheer physicality of it. Riding a bike has its own physicality. Swimming has its own physicality. Even playing tennis has its own unique feel. And so football is something I feel with my body.

There is of course learning to express aggression without taking it personally. And I notice that women who have never played football, tend to take aggression personally.

Of course football is repetitive and mindless, and it is the repetition that induces the football trance. And the trance is even more powerful for being a group trance. But when the stands are full and the fans are screaming for blood, the trance reaches metaphysical proportions.

The Grand Final reaches the level of Ancient Greek Theatre until catharsis takes us out of ourselves and into the ineffable Tragedy and Triumph of the Gods.

Football is not a matter of life and death, it is more important than that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    I feel the same way about auto racing, especially NASCAR which is immensely popular where I come from. It's just cars driving around in a loop, for hours. Where is the fun in that?

Maybe my intense dislike of NASCAR will regain some of my lost INTP street cred.

Oh yeah. Don't get it. It's not a physical sport to me. It's more of a diversion like bowling or darts. It does have amusing fans, maybe that's the draw for people who go to Nascar events.

Football - I like. Not nearly as much as hockey and baseball though. I'm from a city with a loooooong professional sports tradition and a state with just as much on the university/college level. Once I learned more of the rules, plays and strategy of football, the more I liked it. Of course my husband loves football and since he knows I love sports in general we always watch. I find it odd when men don't follow sports. That's a personal thing of mine, I'm sure my heavy sports upbringing has something to do with it. My husband doesn't love hockey the way I do but he has a great understanding of the game. I fill in the blanks for hockey the way he does for me with football. It's great, what's not to love?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Oh yeah. Don't get it. It's not a physical sport to me. It's more of a diversion like bowling or darts. It does have amusing fans, maybe that's the draw for people who go to Nascar events.

Football - I like. Not nearly as much as hockey and baseball though. I'm from a city with a loooooong professional sports tradition and a state with just as much on the university/college level. Once I learned more of the rules, plays and strategy of football, the more I liked it. Of course my husband loves football and since he knows I love sports in general we always watch. I find it odd when men don't follow sports. That's a personal thing of mine, I'm sure my heavy sports upbringing has something to do with it. My husband doesn't love hockey the way I do but he has a great understanding of the game. I fill in the blanks for hockey the way he does for me with football. It's great, what's not to love?
    But it's watching other people exercise. I don't get it. Well, I get it if the observers are themselves extremely proficient at the game, but not people who only watch and are removed from the experience on teh ice/court. Why don't people play the game themselves instead?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    But it's watching other people exercise. I don't get it. Well, I get it if the observers are themselves extremely proficient at the game, but not people who only watch and are removed from the experience on teh ice/court. Why don't people play the game themselves instead?

I don't know but I have that same type of view. I know I say...have you ever strapped on a pair of skates and played yourself when people start. I played from the time I could skate until I was 16, my husband played football until he went to college (I don't know that he could have made Ohio State's roster). When I moved from the east side of Michigan, where hockey has a rabid following, to the west side, I didn't imagine a difference. Boy, was I wrong. They follow football here on a level I've only seen in Texas.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ironically I don't like football, but I like movies about football. I think the real thing is too repetitive for me.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Smile Public Theatre and Ecstasy

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    When we watch any physical activity, we mirror it to ourselves. So it is almost as though we ourselves were surfing, playing tennis or football.

One way to learn a sport is to watch a good sportsman, and our central nervous system will start to mimic them.

It is akin to imagining an activity. For the more we imagine an action, the more proficient we become.

But we learn nothing without context, and the wider the context, and the more supporters we share it with, the more we learn. And although you laugh to yourself out of your pretty mouth, it is the metaphysical context that gives football its greatest heft.

Whether it is Ancient Greek Theatre, or the Colosseum, the great Amphitheatre of Ancient Rome, or the great football Stadiums of today, they speak to our awe and our need to leave the quotidian day and loose ourselves in the Great Ecstasy of football and public theatre, to purge the mundane from our lives so to return relaxed and refreshed to the daily work of the Republic.