User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Depends if you by football mean "soccer" (that we over here call football) or American Football.
    Well, I don't like either and I think team sports people and people who watch it on TV are freaking lame.

Yes, let's go torch them. Better yet if I could get a hold on an MG-42 from World War 2.
    Then i'll teach those illiterates some history at the same time. With lead. Bastads

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    It's really easy for indifference to turn into hate when people inflate a game to be more than what it really is.
    That makes sense. I don't personally begrudge anyone who doesn't like football or any other sport. Preferences are what make us unique.

It makes even less sense when it's a game that people are watching and not playing.
    For hardcore fans it goes beyond just "watching," and that's what most non-fans fail to understand. For me at least, it's an interactive experience. I find the strategic elements of the game, from play-calling to formation schemes to player motivation, etc. to be fascinating. It provides massive amounts of speculative fodder for my Ti due to its inherent complexity. The possible outcomes of a given season, game, or even an individual play sometimes seem endless. I'm also a stat junkie, and football is rife with percentages, probabilities and comparisons.

As an aside, it's basically the only thing my ISTP dad and I can discuss/speculate upon/reminisce about for hours on end. If it weren't for sports, he and I would barely communicate because we have no other interests in common.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

i just dont get the emotional involvement with it, or for that matter any other sport (re: observing professional sports, not refering to playing them here). the outcome determines absolutely nothing of relevance in the real world, save for the gamblers... and the vendors in city X or whatever. not the economic outcome of a team being present somewhere, i mean the outcomes of the GAMES... what really matters at the end? whats different in the world if, say, the Packers beat the 49ers? As far as I can tell.... outside of "mere human verbal behaviors", absolutely NOTHING. Zilch.

that's what i really want to know - how can i get emotionally involved in something so .....superfluous?

I could study the stats and of it all again (i used to watch baseball and basketball bc i was tracking my card investments! if you want a Shaq rookie card, im the guy to talk to), but it would have to be for money - profiting off of stupid fans not capable of making an accurate assessment.

outside of that prospect - making money - whats the relevance of the outcome of the football game? someone help me with that one.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I went to the University of Florida. So did my dad. So did his.

Ever since I can remember my Dad took me to Gator Football games.

This is something I have got to share with my Dad and Granddad since early childhood.

Excuse me for being attached to it.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

Excuse me for being attached to it.
    it's not your fault, your NT rational brain was still being developed and imprinted upon......

its not your fault!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I get there are definite reasons for people to enjoy and put lots of effort into anything really, despite actual usefulness. What pisses me of is that supposedly I'm the strange one for not caring.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    i just dont get the emotional involvement with it, or for that matter any other sport (re: observing professional sports, not refering to playing them here). the outcome determines absolutely nothing of relevance in the real world, save for the gamblers... and the vendors in city X or whatever. not the economic outcome of a team being present somewhere, i mean the outcomes of the GAMES... what really matters at the end? whats different in the world if, say, the Packers beat the 49ers? As far as I can tell.... outside of "mere human verbal behaviors", absolutely NOTHING. Zilch.

that's what i really want to know - how can i get emotionally involved in something so .....superfluous?

I could study the stats and of it all again (i used to watch baseball and basketball bc i was tracking my card investments! if you want a Shaq rookie card, im the guy to talk to), but it would have to be for money - profiting off of stupid fans not capable of making an accurate assessment.

outside of that prospect - making money - whats the relevance of the outcome of the football game? someone help me with that one.
    I can't explain the emotional involvement. It's something you either get, or you don't. I think it's hard to explain the derivation of passionate emotion from any hobby or interest. Maybe as DiscoBiscuit said, a lot of it has to do with early childhood influence. Although, my dad also tried to get me into golf throughout my childhood, and to this day I still have no interest in it.

Incidentally I've watched thousands of sporting events in my life and never placed money on a single one. Using sports as a vehicle for gambling would ruin the fun for me, rather than make it more fun/exciting.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I get there are definite reasons for people to enjoy and put lots of effort into anything really, despite actual usefulness. What pisses me of is that supposedly I'm the strange one for not caring.
    You sound like me describing my complete lack of interest in religion, despite growing up in the Bible Belt.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The game itself is pretty fun to play. Just boring to watch (except maybe the big games + gambling bet) and when I see a sports fan who seems to be only able to talk about football or sports in general I feel pity for them. It is as if they have no life/no self esteem, nothing interesting to say or do...so they get an ego boost by affiliating themselves with a sports team.

Even more pitifully are female sports fans.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

I guess it's time to add football to the list of things it's socially acceptable to bash despite being completely uninformed. Religion, you have company.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari