• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Idol

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
I really enjoyed last night's show. Dolly Parton has written some great songs. My faves: Michael Johns was incredible. Mmm, mmm, mmm, what a fine lookin' man. :yes: I liked Jason Castro even though the judges weren't crazy about his performance. It was a perfect song choice for him. I thought David Archuletta was great. I think he's got an amazing voice. And David Cook can do no wrong. Looks great with the new 'do.

My least faves: Kristy Lee Cook: meh. And I think it's time for Ramiele to go home. Actually it was her time last week...:steam: I miss Chikezie.:cry:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Finally(!) David Cook cut his hair! Now I can stop closing my eyes when he performs. I think he'll be in the final 2.

What crawled up Simon's anus and died last night? It's almost like someone is paying him under the table to be randomly pissy.

Please god, if you're there, make Ramalie (or whatever) Go Home!

Jason's cute but becoming tiresome.

I don't know what to make of *brainfart* the blonde Canadian girl. Q: Why does she sit when using a guitar; I'd be more comfortable standing myself. And has she never heard of using a strap? I thought "Jolene" was a good choice for her. I thought her version of it was ... okay. I saw Paula Cole do it live years ago and she effing smashed it, using old icecream tubs for makeshift drums and a single snare as well as the acoustic guitar. Still, blonde chick's version is better thant the White Stripes.

I'm noticing what my favorites have in common - honest emotional expression:

- Brook, David A., David C., and Aussie guy.

I still think it'll come down to the 2 Davids in the end.

I miss Chikezie.:cry:

Ditto that.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I thought Michael Johns was the best, hands down. He picked a great song that matched his talents well, too.

I thought the little "spontaneous" discussion with Seacrest and David Cook about his cover versions was pretty amusing. I guess the questions keep coming.

I know this is a peeve of mine, but I can't stand it when singers choose arrangements that don't take the mood of the lyrics into account. Brooke picked "Jolene" and sang one of the saddest, most anguished songs ever like she was at a hoedown. I adore the White Stripes version and feel that she could have taken a cue from it to more accurately take the emotional temperature of the song. I haven't heard the Paula Cole version, but Anii's description makes it sound like Cole "got it" too.

Kristy Lee is not good by any means, but Ramiele just HAS to go home this week. And if I were Chikezie, I'd STILL be mad.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with what's been said so far. I wish Kristy Lee and Ramiele would go home, but I think Syesha will go home before they do. Carly might even go home before they do. I loved Carly's performance last night, and I actually remembered her performance by the end of the night. Michael rocked. Brooke's was not her best, but I do love her honesty in delivery, and I'm glad she sang "Jolene" instead of Kristy Lee. It's one of my favorite songs of all time. (If you get a chance, watch the CMT Crossroads with Dolly and Melissa Etheridge. Talk about honest emotion and intensity. I love Melissa singing Dolly's songs.)

50 minutes until the results show!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
SPOILER space for you West Coast people:

Bye bye, Ramiele! Yay!!!!! Now we just have to get rid of Kristy Lee, and I'll be happy.

I love Brooke as a performer, but she REALLY needs to not talk, ever.

When can we dispense with the audience-submitted questions?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
SPOILER space for you West Coast people:

Bye bye, Ramiele! Yay!!!!! Now we just have to get rid of Kristy Lee, and I'll be happy.

I love Brooke as a performer, but she REALLY needs to not talk, ever.

Yeah, Kristy and Syesha.

I was really shocked Brooke was in the Bottom 3!

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
The audience submitted questions really make me cringe. I guess it stays because they have to fill in an hour, when in reality the whole eviction thing could be done in a 30 min show and even then still have "filler".

I am not surprised that Ramiele was sent home. I'm not surprised that KL was in the bottom 3 (who is voting for her??), and I am glad Brooke had her time there. I can't work out if she is sincere or insincere - at first I found her endearing, now I'm find her a little tiring.

Looking forward to next week's show.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
First of three - please bare w/me

Alright, guess where I went last night? So, thanks to my contact in the finance dept at Fremantle Media, I received four tix for Wed night's results show. :cool: Don't know how much it's been mentioned but is shoots at CBS Television. The same place they shoot The Price Is Right and Bill Maher's HBO show. Different stages, of course. Like TPIR, the place looks bigger on TV than it is in real life. It's still pretty good size though.

I got there a little after 5 PM but it was just a little too late to make a pre-show taping they had. The call-in portion and that band who played, the one that won America's Next Top Band, was recorded then. I was surprised that they announced them as the winner. I was thinking that show got cancelled before ever reaching the finals. They had benches outside for people to sit. Plenty of standby people still there. They had a monitor that they'd turn on to show what was going on. They just said we had to be there by 5:30, I had no idea there'd be other stuff going on. It was no big deal that I missed it. I was actually kinda dreading sitting through audience warm up for the banality of it all.

Before they let anyone in they make you give security any cameras or cell phones with cameras until after the show. I had called to find out were cameras allowed since it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the ticket. The tickets, I might add, were these really nice luxury suite looking ones, only laminated.

I brought one friend who's classically trained and now does musical theater and a couple of co-workers who are big fans of the show. All three much more extroverted and hence natural wingmen. We were sitting on a bench waiting to go in and one of my co-workers told me my boss told her before she left, "Have fun. I'm sure it'll be great...Even though it's just a results show and not a performance show." You know a bit of a dig out of envy. I said, 'well, did you tell him this is just as good? We get to see someone's dreams crushed before their very eyes." As if on cue, right then a PA comes out and says, "OK, do we have any friends and family here?" And three people sitting right straight across from me said, "Yeah, right here" and got up to leave. I just looked at my opera singing friend and we both had that "oh sh#t, that coulda been a disaster" look on our faces.

We get inside about ten minutes before the hour. The geek in me wanted to count cameras. I saw 3 roaming, two on jib arms that swung out over the audience. One of those NFL looking cameras mounted straight away and one higher up behind it. These were way in back and not sure if both were being operated. About two minutes before air someone brought out three coke cups to sit on the desk for the judges. I think Coke was actually in them. It wasn't until they took them away after the show that I saw a little spill and it was coke. I thought at first one looked like Sprite or water but I couldn't really tell. During one of the breaks or before they started, Simon had a large Styrofoam coffee cup but he was clearly making sure it stayed under the table, even though the cameras weren't on.

The seats were great. I was towards the right, behind Simon. Prolly about 6 rows between us. In front and just left of me was Dr Phil's wife. I wouldn't have known unless someone told me. I don't know if Dr. Phil has ever had his wife on as a guest but it's about time he saddled that lady down for a plastic surgery intervention. Next to her was her daughter-in-law who looked like that heroined-out bass player from White Zombie. Right in front of them was some circus freak w/a ton of tattoos on his face. Was he famous? I couldn't get a complete look at him.

First highlight of the evening was this was this chick walking through. First I couldn't get a good look at her at her because other people standing in the way but then she was being led by the hand by a little fizzy head girl. Then some people step out of the aisle and I got this great view of this totally rock hard body. Oh - my - goodness! Holly Robinson Peete in da house. :drool: Seriously, considering she's in her 40's and has reproduced, she was looking a lot better than just about every woman in there. I thought she'd make a great gym spokesmodel. You know cuz some look fit but they're so athletic that I think a lot of women wouldn't believe even if they were locked in a gym w/nothing but water and a few pellets like a gerbil cage, they'd still never have that type of bod. But you look at Holly and think, "well, maybe not today but if I look anywhere near that tight at her age, I'll re-up for 24 Hr Fitness."

The energy was pretty phenomenal. They always want everybody to be really loud when they start taping for any show but this was really natural, like a concert. Early on in the taping, I think right at the first commercial break, during which they just have the warm up comedian go around giving out iTunes download cards or AI books, one lady standing up in the pit by the stage fainted. I couldn't really see what happened but there was some AD or something yelling into her headset over the PA for a paramedic. She was kinda frantic. Like you couldn't tell if the person was really hurt bad or they just wanted to get her the f* out the way before they came back from commercial. She walked out a side door under assistance.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
One big buzz kill happened right after they announced the first person to go into the bottom three. I think then after the next break they went to some of the pre-recorded material, like the America's Top Band, which is doubtful will ever be a good trivial question, and the Idols, where are they now segment. I guess if you don't see 'em on a police blotter or haven't been dumped by their label they qualify as a success story.

I can't remember if this was on air or not but a great moment was after the call in question segment where the lady asked why did Simon feel the need to always apologize after ever time he criticized someone, as the contestants where chilling out on the couch waiting to come out of commercial, Ryan Seacrest asked Carly if she and Simon had made up and she said in that great Irish brogue, "Nuh, und apparently he wun't be uhplogizin' any time soon now ei'er."

My opera singing friend thought she was much better looking irl. Syesha was cute. I think a camera was trained on me and my friend when they announced her fate. For her and someone else. Prolly reacted the same way as hearing the first couple of numbers in a game of Bingo. Sorry guys, INTP here, not gonna happen. I would've booted her ass for just attempting to sing a Whitney Houston song. I know Dolly wrote it but the best anyone could ever hope for, the best, is someone to say you sounded just as good as Whitney. Which, A, ain't gonna happen. B, people would still take Whitney. I meant to call my contact to find out how they determine who sings what songs. I'm sure Sister Girl has sang that song 10,000,000 times and felt she'd be comfortable and wouldn't think she'd get eaten up by it, but still, how much of her choice was formed by people constantly massaging her ego at karaoke saying "how much she sounds like Whitney."

I couldn't feel sorry for Carly after she butchered Here You Come Again. She really deserved to have someone make her cry. I just wonder who that violinist was Simon bagged on. More so wondering if he still had a job. When whatsherface was trying to stick up for him, it was like she was only making it worse. I wonder if he was thinking, "Well, that sucked but at least it's over and I can go back to scoring music on teen horror flix and slip back into obscurity" only then to have the issue brought up again. Daaayyyuuumn, girl! I was waiting for her to say his name and where he lived so Simon could send flowers.:doh:

The other big let down energy wise came after the clip for the Idol Give Back funds use. It was such a bleak story. Obviously you think how fortunate you are but even as I was watching and knew there was going to be a relatively happy ending, it just sucked the wind out of the whole building. I wondered if they told Dolly, "OK, you go on after the piece on child abduction - smile!"

I wish I was closer to really get a good look at her. She was really starting to look freakish there for a minute. Like I wondered if Dr. Phil's wife wasn't there as a guest of Dolly's plastic surgeon. Like whoever won the quarterly fundraiser got a pair of tix to the show. Anyway, I'm not a country music fan but I can remember bits of Dolly's variety show from when I was a kid. I also remember her on the Tonight Show and Johnny saying, "I'd give a year's salary just to have a peak down that blouse." There was this moment of "Wow, I get to see Dolly F*ing Parton! That's pretty cool." :party2:

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Last one, you can do it!!

Though I didn't clearly hear the title of what her song was going to be, I was a bit disappointed it wasn't one I had heard before. But the moment she belted out that first note it was an EKG jolt to the building. It was more like an actual concert, not just a show taping or even a live musical, but jump around concert. Before she started a few of us were commenting on how old her backup singers were. Which, I have to say the stage conversions were so quick. Even with stuff partially assembled. I remember seeing concerts and how long it seemed to take to get even the first band cleared off before the official warm up band could hit the stage. Not sure if she needed the added choir members. There seems like there's some weird kind of Tarzan syndrome that causes producers to put Caucasian artists in front of predominately Black choirs to like give 'em some kind of street cred or something. At least Dolly can sing. Sometimes it's like, please! Don't act like her ass would even be given a solo if this were Sunday morning service. Just like LiLo videos when you know every, single, one of her backup dancers could school her on the floor.

When I watched a little of the show off my vcr later, Dolly's song didn't look like much. Really seemed much more subdued than there live. I guess it'd always seem that way but even the tempo seemed much more sedate.

They had a kiosk outside for people to buy crap. One of my co-workers dropped $20 for a T-shirt for her daughter. Great investment considering she's four and will out grow it before the summer. When I talked to my contact today, I think I was supposed to be let into an after-show party. I was gonna bring it up before hand but I didn't want to seem greedy. I just know from some other show tapings they happen. I don't know if they looked for me earlier. I was really happy though. When I found out I would be able to go to a show, I was told there'd be a mentor but they didn't know who it would be. I was kinda hoping to see Mariah and her smokin' hot body but I am glad I got to see a real legend perform. Don't own any of her albums and thought some of her work in front of the camera was pretty blase, but she's an icon and who knows if one of those nine dwarfs might end up making a name for him or herself. Not too shabby at all.

OH, I do have a few American Idol promo posters if anyone wants one, PM me your address and I'll send it to you. (While supplies last and only continental US, sorry). They're 26"x40" - the size of the movie posters you see outside theaters. The first three are various sites for this year, the fourth was last year's campaign.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Wow! You got to be there in person!
I'll have to come back and read this later.
I have too much to do today.
But thanks! I can't wait to read it!
(Well, obviously I can, but you know what I mean.)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Cool review, spartan26! I'd love to actually attend a taping--I think that would be a lot of fun.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... Right in front of them was some circus freak w/a ton of tattoos on his face. Was he famous? I couldn't get a complete look at him.
tee-hee... Not positive if it was him, but the contestant Carly Smithson? With the huge tattoo halfway down her arm? Her husband has tattoos everywhere, including his face. It could have been him.

They own a tattoo parlor together, in the San Diego area, I think.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I can't remember if this was on air or not but a great moment was after the call in question segment where the lady asked why did Simon feel the need to always apologize after ever time he criticized someone, as the contestants where chilling out on the couch waiting to come out of commercial, Ryan Seacrest asked Carly if she and Simon had made up and she said in that great Irish brogue, "Nuh, und apparently he wun't be uhplogizin' any time soon now ei'er."
Yes, it was on the air... and it was rather entertaining.

I know Dolly wrote it but the best anyone could ever hope for, the best, is someone to say you sounded just as good as Whitney. Which, A, ain't gonna happen. B, people would still take Whitney. I meant to call my contact to find out how they determine who sings what songs.
I agree. Sometimes they choose from a list of songs. If more than one person chooses the same song as first choice, they sometimes draw out of a hat to see who gets to have it.

I couldn't feel sorry for Carly after she butchered Here You Come Again.
I thought she did well in slowing the song, but as usual, she always has to yell in her songs.

I just wonder who that violinist was Simon bagged on. More so wondering if he still had a job.
The violinist didn't do anything wrong. Simon insulted the violin player when he was judging Brooke's performance.
YouTube - Jolene - Brooke White [with judges' comments]
"weird violin player"
"someone who's better in the shade"

Dolly is 62 years old, btw.
She has had some plastic surgery.
Unfortunately, I think she used the same doctor as Joan Rivers.
It's a shame. Bad job.

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
Dolly is 62 years old, btw.
She has had some plastic surgery.
Unfortunately, I think she used the same doctor as Joan Rivers.
It's a shame. Bad job.

Off topic, but have you seen Priscilla Presley on DWTS? She is also 62 and her face is pretty messed up. My FIL said he saw her on a talk show recently saying how her plastic surgeon butchered her.

Back on topic, I enjoyed last night's show, although not quite as much as last week's. Once again Michael Johns was great. Seems like he's finally found his groove. I also liked Jason Castro's performance even though I've never heard that version of the song before. And David Archuletta did not disappoint. Surprises: Christy Lee Cook was actually pretty good. And David Cook was a let-down. I just didn't get his performance.

Tonight it's Idol Gives Back, should be a good show.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Last night was one of the few times I can remember where I didn't think anyone was particularly good. On merit, I don't think anyone should feel safe, although there surely are a few people safe as kittens.

On another note, I think Michael Johns should stop raiding the closet of Three's Company landlord Mr. Furley.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Last night was one of the few times I can remember where I didn't think anyone was particularly good. On merit, I don't think anyone should feel safe, although there surely are a few people safe as kittens.

On another note, I think Michael Johns should stop raiding the closet of Three's Company landlord Mr. Furley.

Agreed, and hahaha!

Where are they getting these stupid themes?

On another note, I'm about to watch possibly 3 1/2 hours of this crappy Idol Gives Back show b/c Heart is going to be on. I hope they're on in the first few minutes so I don't have to endure the rest.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I will probably watch it all the way through just to see what kind of ridiculousness they can come up with. I'm not sure they can ever top Elvis dueting with Celine Dion from a couple years ago, but I can always hope.

Also, I didn't know Heart was showing up, that's cool. I went to see them several times all the way back in the 80s.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I will probably watch it all the way through just to see what kind of ridiculousness they can come up with. I'm not sure they can ever top Elvis dueting with Celine Dion from a couple years ago, but I can always hope.

Ah, yes, a beautiful trainwreck.

Also, I didn't know Heart was showing up, that's cool. I went to see them several times all the way back in the 80s.

Yeah, they are awesome. :wubbie: They did "Barracuda" with Fergie. I think she invited them to do it with her, so I guess that wins her a few points with me. Would have preferred it without her, though!

Thank goodness it came on early in the show. I no longer have to watch anyone interview Miley Cyrus.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
I would agree.

My thoughts:

- David A looked positively depressed (and sounded depressed) when he sang Angel. Simon was right that he sounded nasally.

- The other David was totally forgettable, as was Kristy Lee.

- Sayesha and Brooke were lukewarm.

- Simon was right that Carly sounded angry when she sang.

- Michael's performance was probably my favourite, albeit not necessarily executed too well. I admit to love hearing the accent of a fellow Australian in the post-performance chit chat.

- I didn't really get Jason's performance. In fact, I actually forgot about him until I went back to the AI home page to make sure I'd covered them all.

I'm not sure who will go this week. It's probably time for Kristy Lee to say goodbye, but I can't say that I'd be sorry to see Brooke, Carly, Syesha or Jason go home either.