• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Idol

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Nah, INTP...I guess it's more the rebel-rocker thing. Not meant to be taken all that seriously or literally, I'm sure.
Ah.
Amanda is an interesting chick.
I'm sure she'll get some more work performing.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
It's not a type thing, Amanda just reminds me of Eri and it was meant as a compliment. Sorry she had to go home. There were so many others who were cack that should have gone home.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's not a type thing, Amanda just reminds me of Eri and it was meant as a compliment. Sorry she had to go home. There were so many others who were cack that should have gone home.
What's interesting about this year is that ALL the Top 12 could sing - not just SOME of them, like in previous years. While I could always count on Amanda for an enjoyable performance, the truth is, she is actually pretty limited vocally. She doesn't have good control of her notes on slower songs (See my previous post # 173 where I linked Carry On My Wayward Son), and I think perhaps it's true that she is a "one trick pony". However, that one trick is pretty good and enjoyable, as I said. What I'm saying is, REALISTICALLY, I think she deserved to go next, but I still hope now that she has some fame, she'll get some gigs.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
David Cook for the win tonight, folks! Liked Brooke and Michael. Syesha had a good night.

The rest were just aight, for me for you, dawg. </Randy>

I can't believe the judges liked the horror of Kristy Lee singing "God Bless the USA." That was pure Indiana County Fair right there.

Carly has a great voice, so why do I keep forgetting she's in the competition? It's weird.

Ramiele needs to stop letting whoever's dressing her do that to her. And she needs to not scream at me when she sings.

MBTI Type
INTJ
David Cook, Carly and Michael were the best tonight in my opinion. David pulled off the "Hello" trick again (but he better not try it a third time), Carly made me like a song I don't like, and Michael finally showed the promise he's teased us with.

That said, I was REALLY impressed with Kristy Lee's song choice. It was such an incredibly canny and savvy thing to do, and it showed a survival instinct I didn't know she had. This is a competition, and she did what she had to do to survive another week. And not for nothing, but this was the best she has sung so far too.

I predict Ramiele, Chikezie and Carly for the bottom three, although on merit I think it should be Ramiele, Syesha and Kristy Lee.

On a personal note, I thought Brooke was 100 times prettier with the straighter hair. I would never have thought a hairstyle could affect someone's attractiveness that much.

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Carly has a great voice, so why do I keep forgetting she's in the competition? It's weird.
Because she shouts her way through every song and she's unpleasant to watch while she's doing it?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Last night was weird for me.
The judges - more than once - said the opposite of what I expected.
Sometimes my fear of what they're going to say can ruin my enjoyment of the song.

There seemed almost a conspiracy to point out the fact that somebody else besides little David Archuleta could win this competition. How many times did they say that last night - not in so many words though?!

I loved that song that David A. did - You're the Voice. I thought he did a great job.

I was unfamiliar with Jason's song, but those who knew it said he did well.

Do any of you guys vote?

I do.

MBTI Type
INTJ
There seemed almost a conspiracy to point out the fact that somebody else besides little David Archuleta could win this competition. How many times did they say that last night - not in so many words though?!

Wow, I didn't get that at all. I mean, the judges did say a few times that this or that contestant could win, but I would have never thought to link it to David Archuleta. I don't actually see him as one of the favorites. I think that hands down he has the worst taste in song choice of any of them (and even maybe of past seasons too), and I think that's going to bring him down in the end. If past seasons are any guide, the Tiger Beat teen crush guy never wins.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Wow, I didn't get that at all. I mean, the judges did say a few times that this or that contestant could win, but I would have never thought to link it to David Archuleta. I don't actually see him as one of the favorites. I think that hands down he has the worst taste in song choice of any of them (and even maybe of past seasons too), and I think that's going to bring him down in the end. If past seasons are any guide, the Tiger Beat teen crush guy never wins.
Oh. You didn't know that in all the polls, David Archuleta usually has twice as many votes as the next top competitor? Yeah. Huge voting fan base.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

He's kind of this season's Clay Aiken. If he doesn't win, he'll at least get second. I just don't think he's very consistent. When he's really connecting with a great song, he can be magnificent. When he chooses a song he that doesn't fit, I can take him or leave him. I think he does have a big fan base similar to Clay's, i.e. preteen girls who are crushing on him and women 35+ who want to mother him.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh. You didn't know that in all the polls, David Archuleta usually has twice as many votes as the next top competitor? Yeah. Huge voting fan base.

No, I didn't know that. It's very surprising to me! It's interesting the perspectives we get from either just watching the show in a bubble or looking at ancillary stuff and getting a wider view.

In my mind, David was kind of still living off the goodwill from "Imagine". He sang very well last night but picked a terrible song IMO. He just seems too Mickey Mouse Club to win. Every previous winner (including Jordin, who was only 17), seemed to have a more mature demeanor.

I guess maybe I spoke without thinking when I said I didn't think he was one of the favorites, because when I thought about it later, I don't think this season really HAS favorites. Of the contestants left, I see a bunch of people who could maybe win, and then Kristy Lee and Ramiele. We shall see!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I love Clay Aiken, when he came to DC to sing for the 4th of July I wanted to go see him and everyone I knew thought I was nuts. I didn't even get any points for the kitsch factor. I think Clay was and still is to a lesser extent super campy which was part of his appeal (kind of like Sanjaya) and the reason he is fodder for comedians like Katthy Griffin. But Clay was also an awesome vocalist and strangely charismatic. He didn't win, but his popularity and success far surpasses Ruben Studdard's.

I think David Archuleta is a good singer, but there are lots of "good singers" especially on American Idol. I think he's different from Clay Aiken in that David really is "Mikey Mouse Club" (good way of phrasing it) and would have a very different fan base from Clay. Clay gets strangely sexualized by his fans, whereas David is very much an innocent straight laced boy. The idea that he would get fans throwing panties at him makes me go :horor: :sick: and feel slightly disturbed whereas with Clay, it makes me chuckle.

I'm not a fan of David Archuleta. Every season there is a "wholesome young boy" that gets pushed through the competition undeservingly IMO. If you're not going to go solely on singing ability, I much prefer to see entertaining and wacky performers like Sanjaya and Danny Noriega get the votes.

BTW, I cannot believe how horrific Kristy Lee Cook is. HORRIFIC. Bad singer, zero personality, and zero stage presence. And she was signed to Britney Spears' label in the past. Yikes.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I waited for months for this show to come back on, and now that it's on, I think I'm going to get an ulcer from all the worrying about my "favorite" getting voted off!

The great thing about this year is that everyone in the Top 10 is a good singer, not just some of them.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Chikeze was robbed.

Wednesday will live in infamy - I was thrown under the bus on the same day as Chikeze.

From now on, whenever someone gets shafted I'll say they've been "Chikeze'd".

I want right-wing-patriotic-barbie gone with a vengeance now! And then I want short little bad ballad chick outta there!

I used to think Archuletta was sure thing; now I'm looking at David Cook as viable for the final two at least. I think it's going to come down to the 2 Davids.

Has someone else said they despise the fake mosh pit? I hate it and I hate the fake, lemming-like arm waving that occurs in it.

Note to screaming tweens: you don't have to do everything the prompter tells you to do.

Final notes:

- I effing hate "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - I always thought she was singing "living in a pollywog". Oh well.
- Chris Cornell? MmmmmChrisCornell..... (http://photos.lacoccinelle.net/68/49/136849.jpg)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's scary that Simon was so right!

As many fans as each one has, who will vote for their favorite no matter how they do on any particular night, I'm starting to think that they are not in the majority after all.

It is scary that Kristy Lee got more votes than Jason!

MBTI Type
INTJ
It is scary that Kristy Lee got more votes than Jason!

It's even scarier that she sang better than him this week!

I mean, she's not in his class overall, but this week she was better. I've noticed in the past that even the most mediocre talents on the show have one week where they put it all together, and this was hers. She'll probably be awful next week :)

And Anii is right...Chikezie got Chikezie'd! I can't believe who wound up in the bottom three while Ramiele was safe. She must have dirty pictures of the producers.

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you're not going to go solely on singing ability, I much prefer to see entertaining and wacky performers like Sanjaya and Danny Noriega get the votes.

See, I'm actually offended that people like Sanjaya and Danny are in it at all. Their presence in the top 24 or top 12 is like an extension of the policy to show godawful auditions for comic purposes. If I were one of the contestants in the top 12 that could actually sing, I would be angry that these clowns were being presented as serious competitors alongside me. For all her awfulness, Kristy Lee is a better singer than either of these guys and hasn't had to rely on appreciators of kitsch or irony to advance this far.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
See, I'm actually offended that people like Sanjaya and Danny are in it at all. Their presence in the top 24 or top 12 is like an extension of the policy to show godawful auditions for comic purposes. If I were one of the contestants in the top 12 that could actually sing, I would be angry that these clowns were being presented as serious competitors alongside me. For all her awfulness, Kristy Lee is a better singer than either of these guys and hasn't had to rely on appreciators of kitsch or irony to advance this far.

Agreed. It really gets me riled up when people like Sanjaya make it WAY farther than they should in the competition just b/c people like seeing the trainwreck, or want to amuse themselves. Grrrrrrr. The second worst thing, though, is when people who really deserve to go home in week 3 or 4 keep staying around because they have a decent-sized fan base that are all too happy to keep them around long after even the singer him/herself is comfortable being there. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen with Ramiele and Kristy Lee. People are going to keep voting for them, and really good ones are going to go home.

Chikezie was freaking robbed. :steam:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with you guys. I don't like it either. Since I'm a professional singer and musician myself, I tend to look at it more seriously.

It IS a Variety Show though, and I think in a way, it would help the contestants to look at it that way. Not just - how can I showcase who I am, but what will the public find entertaining?

(Sorry for the improper sentence... sorry Mrs. Shapiro.)