• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Idol

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually I think he understood perfectly well, he just found her descriptions a little melodramatic and too sentimental for his liking. I think he was being sarcastic and was just egging Paula on because he knew it would get to her. It's why I found all of it so amusing.
I agree with you that he does do that, but in my opinion, he wasn't pretending to not understand in this case.
I believe that last night, he actually did not understand the correlation of using the word "color" to describe the nuances of the voice.
Though I am open to correction if Simon states otherwise.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
My favorite guys after this first round of auditions were:

Colton Berry -18
- The one that said he thinks he looks like Ellen Degeneres
Suspicious Minds - In my opinion, he has a great voice.

David Archuletta - 17 -
-Shy when he's talking, bold and confident when he's performing
Shop Around - Excellent all-around talent

David Hernandez - 24
Midnight Hour - He has the great popular style that Simon is looking for.

Jason Castro - 20
-the one with the dreadlocks
(What a Day for a) Daydream - played the guitar, great vocal style and personal likability.
He's destined for a recording contract no matter what happens.

I thought there were a few "weak" singers who didn't really stay on key or hit all their notes right on. Even though I may have liked them personally, that short-coming proves very expensive in the recording studio.
Garrett Haley - 17 - who looks like Peter Frampton. He is so cute! Sang Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Jason Yeager - 28 - Sang Moon River. Very good-looking, nice voice, has adorably cute son.
Michael Lee Johns - 28 - the Aussie. Sang Light My Fire. Rocker wannabee. I couldn't believe my ears when the judges said he sang well.

I may be too cynical but I was surprised several times Michael being one.
It just seems to me they're pushing harder and harder each year for a rocker... probably because Simon likes rock and hates country. He maythink it will bring more bucks but I don't agree with him. I think Carrie is a constant thorn in his side. I liked Garrett too and missed Luke Menard.. was he really that bad?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Last edited:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
That little 17-year-old dude is amazing.

That guy from MO with the red hair is going bald. His hair looks awful... just shave it all off already.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That little 17-year-old dude is amazing.

That guy from MO with the red hair is going bald. His hair looks awful... just shave it all off already.
Do you mean David Archuletta?
Yes, he is very good.
He won Star Search at age 12.

I think you're referring to David Cook, the rocker who sang Happy Together without any particular style but to hold the mike stand sideways to prove he's a rocker.

I didn't notice he was balding. Thankfully his looks aren't as distracting as Phil Stacey's were.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Simon and Paula were in top form last night! I also enjoyed Seacrest's jab at Simon's hair.

As for the boys last night, very unimpressive overall in my opinion.

THE VERY GOOD

Michael Johns - Wow, I don't even like The Doors, but this was great. No matter what happens this guy is going somewhere. Also one of the only guys that looks comfortable in his own skin.

David Archuleta - The little girls will love him, and he has a very good, mature voice for 17. I loved that he chose a Motown song, too. I see him lasting a long time.

David Cook - This guy did everything right. He could sing, he was original, and he made an old song ("Happy Together") sound completely new. I'm not sure he will last very long though, because Simon's bias against rockers usually allows for only one to advance very far, and that will be Michael Johns.

THE VERY BAD

Danny Noriega - Wow. This kid needs a couple of gallons of testosterone if he's going to sing an Elvis song. Very Sanjaya-esque. And that's NOT a good thing.

Garrett Haley - He could teach a computerized voice about being monotone. And it doesn't help that he is Peter Frampton's long lost twin. I kept waiting for him to pull out the vocoder and sing "Do You Feel Like I Do".

Colton Berry - Ditto on the Elvis thing. He also didn't actually listen to the song he was singing. He took a paranoid song about a dysfunctional relationship and sang it like it was an Archies song. Go back to the school play.

ON THE FENCE

David Hernandez - He can definitely sing, so I don't want to write him off completely, but he was very bland.

Jason Castro - I can't stand the whole "hippie-with-Birkenstocks-and-a-guitar" vibe, so I'm biased. And I despise the song he sang. But he does have an undeniable presence, and he can sing.

Chikeze - I liked him, just didn't love him.

The rest of you guys...Luke Menard, Jason Yeager, Robbie Carrico...were you guys even there? I can't remember. I'm not going to worry about it because you'll be gone soon.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You like everyone I don't like because I hate the rockers and screamers.
I guess you're gonna love Amanda Overmyer tonight.
I wonder if she'll do Janis Joplin, since she sounds just like her.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Rockers and screamers:angry:

but I might like Amanda... she's actualy got a good voice.

MBTI Type
INTJ
You like everyone I don't like because I hate the rockers and screamers.
I guess you're gonna love Amanda Overmyer tonight.
I wonder if she'll do Janis Joplin, since she sounds just like her.

I think there's a difference between rockers and screamers though. None of those guys are screamers, they can all sing. When I think of screamers, I think of those girls that all pretend to be Mariah Carey and extend one word into six or seven tortured notes.

I just like the ones that excite me. And the same old people singing the same old tired ballads the same old way doesn't excite me. Which is actually what they look for on this show, making me wonder why I watch it, lol.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well Amanda won't be doing any more Janis Joplin because of Simon,
so that's the end of that.

The only female I really loved was Alexandrea Lushington.
She sang Spinning Wheel, came down the stairs at the beginning like a seasoned pro.
She had great moves, a cool outfit - suspenders, great hair.
Great voice.
Whole package.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think there's a difference between rockers and screamers though.....
You're right, of course.
I know the difference.
I knew someone would point that out.

Just flushing out the nit-pickers. :devil:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I haven't watched the women yet. But I did finish watching the men.

My top 3 favorite guys are based on the fact that they are not annoying (too many contestants *are* annoying!), they are easy on the eyes, and they are naturals - they "have it" as Simon likes to say. (No, I did not learn names and I don't have to... yet.):

- the dreadlock dude,
- the Aussie,
- the little dude with the big voice.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am going to start keeping a running count of all the qualities that the judges claim "this competition is all about". So far we have originality, singing, song choice, being yourself, consistency....oh, hell, this is already too many to count. No wonder none of the contestants knows what to do.

Now it's time for the girls...

THE VERY GOOD

Asia'h Epperson - This girl was awesome. She picked a great song, sang it great, and was clearly the most comfortable and relaxed of all the girls.

Alexandrea Lushington - She picked a song that you would never expect for her, and nailed it. I actually liked her "Spinning Wheel" better than the original. She did what the judges always harp on...she took an old song and made it new.

Carly Smithson - I usually agree with Simon, but this time he was wrong. She was great. Not as great as she can be, but great enough.

THE VERY BAD

Amanda Overmayer - I love this girl. I love that this girl made a gutsy choice with a song that isn't really American Idol-friendly. Unfortunately, her performance was an utter and complete mess. A debacle, even.

Amy Davis - Terrible song choice, monotonous vocals. At least she's pretty.

ON THE FENCE

Syesha Mercado - Strong vocals, even if she was a bit of a shouter. She strikes me as not very nice, which over time could hurt her. She can still win me over, I'm just not sure.

Kady Malloy - I hate "Groovy Kind Of Love", and her performance was corpse-like. But she has too good a voice to write her off yet...one of the two or three best voices among the girls.

Kristy Lee Cook - She's my favorite of all the contestants based on their backgrounds and personalities. Which might be why I didn't put her in "THE VERY BAD", because her performance was shaky. Call it an emotional decision :)

Alaina Whitaker - Like this girl, LOVE "I Love You More Today". Simon unfairly ragged on her song choice. Still, a little too Mickey Mouse Club. I want her to do well though, she seems nice.

AND THE REST

Brooke White is Simon's best flirting partner ever. They have some entertaining sexual tension. And he's being unfair to her about being sunny. As for Joanne Borgella and Ramiele Malubay...did you guys even make it to the studio? I can't remember. And it doesn't matter, because Joanne, you're going home this week and Ramiele, you're not far behind unless you have a personality transplant.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I just saw the guys top 12. My fave is also the dreadlocked guy because he can actually sing and not sound like he's doing karaoke AND the fabulousskinny emo kid whose parents and everyone around him (including most likely his girlfriend) knows he is gay before he does...unless he does. He even popped his neck at Simon! Hahahha. Maybe in a few years we'll see him on 'Project Runway!'

Fave!

It tickles my toes to see such "outlandish" behavior from young guys because it makes me realize how typical being a gay teenager is these days and in many schools, kids can be out and not be afraid for their physical safety or unduly harassed. And even if these guys are heterosexual :)thelook:) loud, vocal yays for gender disappropriation! And yes I made that term up.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
As for the boys last night, very unimpressive overall in my opinion.

Agreed, but usually it's like that. Having a 'good voice' is not enough, and sadly some of the barely seem to have that. Honestly, I have heard better in musicals.

THE VERY GOOD
David Archuleta - The little girls will love him, and he has a very good, mature voice for 17. I loved that he chose a Motown song, too. I see him lasting a long time.

Eeeh, I think people's ears are very different. I couldn't believe the praise the judges were giving him. He was aight.

David Cook - This guy did everything right. He could sing, he was original, and he made an old song ("Happy Together") sound completely new. I'm not sure he will last very long though, because Simon's bias against rockers usually allows for only one to advance very far, and that will be Michael Johns.

Actually, votefortheworst.com made the observation that it's mostly "rockers and 16 year old kids" who made it the top 12 for guys. I agree.

THE VERY BAD
Danny Noriega - Wow. This kid needs a couple of gallons of testosterone if he's going to sing an Elvis song. Very Sanjaya-esque. And that's NOT a good thing.

^^No, no, no, no! I love this kid! This is the neck snapping kid I referred to earlier. He is the prettiest girl on the show. I'm sure he has many girlfriends and will get many votes. Except not from homophobic fratboys. They are jealous of his prettiness.

Garrett Haley - He could teach a computerized voice about being monotone. And it doesn't help that he is Peter Frampton's long lost twin. I kept waiting for him to pull out the vocoder and sing "Do You Feel Like I Do".

He actually had one of the better voices, but my god that song and performance was putting me to sleep. I thought it was funny how Simon, the pasty ENGLISHMEN slammed him for needing some 'fresh air'.

ON THE FENCE

Jason Castro - I can't stand the whole "hippie-with-Birkenstocks-and-a-guitar" vibe, so I'm biased. And I despise the song he sang. But he does have an undeniable presence, and he can sing.

Awww, do you throw nickels at buskers? Buskers need love too. In the form of dollar bills.

Chikeze - I liked him, just didn't love him.

I liked him, I thought he had one of the best voices/deliveries of the group. He had joy when he sang. Was it old-fashioned? Who cares, the group as a whole lacked 'star quality' whatever that means, IMHO. And I gave him props for standing up for himself. I think he has actually gotten the most visibly on the offensive by Simon's comments. I have to agree, he had guts and went for the whole package with his outfit, which I didn't find outlandish at all.

The rest of you guys...Luke Menard, Jason Yeager, Robbie Carrico...were you guys even there? I can't remember. I'm not going to worry about it because you'll be gone soon.

I can't remember most of the names...in this respect, 'Chikeze' is a great showname!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't watched the women yet. But I did finish watching the men.

My top 3 favorite guys are based on the fact that they are not annoying (too many contestants *are* annoying!), they are easy on the eyes, and they are naturals - they "have it" as Simon likes to say. (No, I did not learn names and I don't have to... yet.):

- the dreadlock dude,
- the Aussie,
- the little dude with the big voice.
;) Thankfully, I know who those are.

Jason C., Michael, and David A.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
By the time the third female sang, I was actually groaning out loud.
I couldn't take the agony any more.
Their nerves got the better of all of them!

By the time Amanda sang, I was so thankful just to have someone sing on key!

I liked Brooke.
I LOVED Alexandrea.
Kady - the impressionist can sing, but last night didn't show it.
Asia'h, Ramielle, Syesha and Carly were all "good".

I don't know what the deal is with Simon.
I used to trust his judgment, but the standard he is holding people up to is just unrealistic. How in the world can 24 amateurs come out every week and make every performance their best performance ever AND make it sound like a hit record?! PU-LEEEESE! NOBODY does that! Every album I have ever bought had about 2 or 3 great songs on it, and the rest was average junk that never became a hit.

Randy is the only judge whose judgment I trust at this point.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
By the time Amanda sang, I was so thankful just to have someone sing on key!

I liked Brooke.
I LOVED Alexandrea.
Kady - the impressionist can sing, but last night didn't show it.
Asia'h, Ramielle, Syesha and Carly were all "good".

I don't know what the deal is with Simon.
I used to trust his judgment, but the standard he is holding people up to is just unrealistic. How in the world can 24 amateurs come out every week and make every performance their best performance ever AND make it sound like a hit record?! PU-LEEEESE! NOBODY does that! Every album I have ever bought had about 2 or 3 great songs on it, and the rest was average junk that never became a hit.

Randy is the only judge whose judgment I trust at this point.

Same here. My tentative list, since they have the flu and I have it too and know, is this:

Amanda, Alexandrea, Kady, Ramiele, Syesha and Carly

but, disagreeing with Simon, none of them are as good as the best males... we'll see when they're over the flu which might not happen as this stuff seems to hang on forever.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Same here. My tentative list, since they have the flu and I have it too and know, is this:

Amanda, Alexandrea, Kady, Ramiele, Syesha and Carly

but, disagreeing with Simon, none of them are as good as the best males... we'll see when they're over the flu which might not happen as this stuff seems to hang on forever.
I hear THAT!