• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Idol

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Dang! BB on again at the same time! last week my recorder messed up and I missed it. Maybe I'll record AI this time to be fair.:D

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
A couple of shockers last night!

I was really surprised that Carly Smithson was in the bottom 3!

And I was surprised Amanda Overmyer went home instead of Kristy Lee Cook.

And so we have our Top 10. They get to go on Tour this summer.
I'm planning to see them when they come to Manchester, NH!

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
And I was surprised Amanda Overmyer went home instead of Kristy Lee Cook.

Well I guess the Vote for the Worst folks don't have as much clout as they used to.:) I'll bet it will be Christy who they start voting for next.

I hope the contestants step it up a notch for next week. I loved the Beatles week 1; week 2 was a pretty big disappointment. But Chikezie was great - he is really turning out to be versatile and entertaining.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well I guess the Vote for the Worst folks don't have as much clout as they used to.:) I'll bet it will be Christy who they start voting for next.

I hope the contestants step it up a notch for next week. I loved the Beatles week 1; week 2 was a pretty big disappointment. But Chikezie was great - he is really turning out to be versatile and entertaining.
I agree about VFTW. They couldn't save Danny either.
I think they've lost their momentum.

Beatles two weeks in a row was a bad idea.

If Chikezie does Bluegrass one more time, he's going to be on my official hate list.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't believe Carly was in the bottom 3, while Ramiele was safe. Not a good sign for Carly's chances to win. I think Kristy Lee, Michael Johns and David Archuleta are the finalists for "person who will stay much longer than they deserve just because of their appeal to the opposite sex."

One thing was interesting to me that no one will care about since I think I'm the only guy that posts in this thread. Kristy Lee, Carly and Amanda were all at the absolute apex of their attractiveness last night. It was the best all three of them have ever looked on the show. I remember thinking "at least whoever goes will go out looking hot!" Hah.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I can't believe Carly was in the bottom 3, while Ramiele was safe. Not a good sign for Carly's chances to win. I think Kristy Lee, Michael Johns and David Archuleta are the finalists for "person who will stay much longer than they deserve just because of their appeal to the opposite sex."
I agree about the other 2 but not David A. David A. really CAN sing. Michael Johns CAN'T. No one has ever called him on the fact that he's almost always flat - well maybe Randy, once.

Let's face it - American Idols are ALL ABOUT being good looking, as well as good singers.
Look at the Beatles. Do you think all that screaming was ONLY about their music? I think not.
What about Elvis? Same thing.
Name anybody else at the top of the record sales charts.
I bet you a Hershey Bar they're good looking.
Ramiele has a good-sized fan base, I think.
Frankly, I don't know how Kristy Lee survived the axe, though she is a good singer. We just haven't really seen it much yet.

One thing was interesting to me that no one will care about since I think I'm the only guy that posts in this thread. Kristy Lee, Carly and Amanda were all at the absolute apex of their attractiveness last night. It was the best all three of them have ever looked on the show. I remember thinking "at least whoever goes will go out looking hot!" Hah.
I noticed.
I've never seen anyone mention how hot Amanda is, but she does have a nice body - nice skinny thighs. I guess her boobs aren't big enough for the boys to notice.
Kristy Lee has nice legs, too. Carly - I haven't noticed.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Let's face it - American Idols are ALL ABOUT being good looking, as well as good singers.

Actually, that sounds like it should be true, but I would say that isn't.

Let's look at the six people who have won so far:

Kelly Clarkson
Ruben Studdard
Fantasia Barrino
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Hicks
Jordin Sparks

Out of those six, I would say that only three of them are well above average in the looks department...Kelly, Carrie and Jordin. And you could argue that only Carrie is a traditional beauty (although I personally don't find her as attractive as Kelly or Jordin).

Not to say that Ruben, Fantasia and Taylor are UNattractive, but I think it's fair to say that looks played no part in their success. They could all sing, and they all had unique personalities. In Taylor's case, he faced Katharine McPhee in the finals. Not only was she an amazing singer, she was perhaps the most beautiful contestant the show has ever had. If looks really had a lot to do with it, she should have beaten him handily.

I can't believe I just put that much effort into a post about American Idol. I need a life, STAT! :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm so upset Amanda went home last night! Sure, she was kind of one-trick pony-ish, but she was still awesome. And I have to look at Kristy Lee for another week? I cannot, cannot STAND her. I don't mind her voice, but man, she sure can screw up a song. She is absolutely Faith Hill-ian in her ability to take a decent song and make a crappy country version, void of any meaning, out of it. And why is she so much prettier in her "getting to know you" segments then she is onstage? I think she's one of those people who look better the less you try to fix her up. If I have to look at her another week, I'd rather look at her with 75% less sparkles, curls and makeup. But I digress. I want her gone. GONE, America! Do you hear me?

I'm digging Chikezie and his quirky self. He could so easily have faded into the background as another Luther Vandross wannabe, but no! He totally found his own thing, and I love him for it.

Agreed that Beatles twice in a row was a terrible idea. And must we have those segments where they remind America who the Beatles are? Does anyone not know who the Beatles are? Besides the contestants, I mean.

I'm not really surprised Carly was in the bottom 3. She has a wonderful voice, but I still forget she's there a lot of the time, and I don't think she has a very big fan base. I think her fans are going to be older than the usual AI voter base (13 year old girls).

I could have killed Syesha for her version of "Yesterday" and the level of hard-working emoting going on. Not sure why the judges liked that. And again being shallow--go back to curly hair, Syesha!!!

Ramiele's cute and has a beautiful voice, but she still looks uncomfortable every week. I have a feeling she's going to be around long after she's stopped having fun and long after she's worn out her welcome, and I hate that for her, b/c she's likeable. She should maybe come back next year when she's older and has more experience. Random: She looked like Paula dressed her this week. Run, Ramiele, run!!!

Digged David Cook's use of the Frampton voicebox thingy. That was cool. I like him, though his style is a little emo for me to want to buy his cd. He's cool on the show, though. He looks a little like a more handsome version of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, to me. Weird, I know.

Archuleta's very hit and miss. When he's on, he is ON. When he's not, he's just a little irritating and odd. He's probably going to win it, though.

Love Brooke White. LOVE her. Except for this week. Kind of sucked. And she should have shut up when getting feedback. But I generally love her quality of being kind of a throwback to the 70s singer/songwriters. And I wish I had her hair. :wubbie:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, that sounds like it should be true, but I would say that isn't.

Let's look at the six people who have won so far:

Kelly Clarkson
Ruben Studdard
Fantasia Barrino
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Hicks
Jordin Sparks

Out of those six, I would say that only three of them are well above average in the looks department...Kelly, Carrie and Jordin. And you could argue that only Carrie is a traditional beauty (although I personally don't find her as attractive as Kelly or Jordin).

Not to say that Ruben, Fantasia and Taylor are UNattractive, but I think it's fair to say that looks played no part in their success. They could all sing, and they all had unique personalities. In Taylor's case, he faced Katharine McPhee in the finals. Not only was she an amazing singer, she was perhaps the most beautiful contestant the show has ever had. If looks really had a lot to do with it, she should have beaten him handily.

I can't believe I just put that much effort into a post about American Idol. I need a life, STAT! :)
Yes, and Carrie Underwood is the only one of those with real superstar success.

I was referring to REAL "Idols" as I listed, not these manufactured ones. And my point was that looks DO matter, though I have no idea how Reuben snuck through.

Whatever. I'm not really interested in fighting with you. We don't disagree on anything. My point was that looks has a lot to do with someone's popularity. That's not a big secret.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
My thoughts:

When I saw that Kristy was in the bottom three, I expected her to be the one sent home. After the abysmal performance last week and the lukewarm effort this week, I was shocked that she made the top 10.

I didn't expect Carly to be in the bottom three. I can't say I was a big fan at first, but I have warmed to her over the last few weeks. I didn't think Blackbird was great, but I loved her performance last week.

I was surprised that the Australian guy made it through, but my patriotic side was glad that he did.

Like Tallulah, I am a Brooke fan, but this week's performance left me a bit speechless. I just didn't get it.

Looking forward to next week.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm so upset Amanda went home last night! ... Kristy Lee for another week? ... I want her gone. GONE, America! Do you hear me?
Yeah, I was surprised. She's kinda grown on me. Even though she's vocally limited (Carry On My Wayward Son) I still was enjoying her performances. She saved me from many a bland night.

I'm digging Chikezie and his quirky self. ...
me: yes and no. Yes at first. No if he does Bluegrass one more time.:steam:

I'm not really surprised Carly was in the bottom 3. ...I think her fans are going to be older than the usual AI voter base (13 year old girls).
I was really shocked since they've been fawning all over her.

I could have killed Syesha for her version of "Yesterday" and the level of hard-working emoting going on. Not sure why the judges liked that. And again being shallow--go back to curly hair, Syesha!!!
That was exquisite. What are you talking about?! I liked her hair the week before. Very classy.

Ramiele's cute and has a beautiful voice, but she still looks uncomfortable every week. ...
I enjoy her heartfelt ballads. She has a pretty voice.

Digged David Cook's use of the Frampton voicebox thingy. That was cool. ...
Me, too. I don't like rock very much, but he's okay. He's more tolerable than most.

Archuleta's very hit and miss. When he's on, he is ON. When he's not, he's just a little irritating and odd. He's probably going to win it, though.
The only miss was when he forgot the words, otherwise he's been solid every week.

Love Brooke White. LOVE her. Except for this week. ... And she should have shut up when getting feedback....
Really unique, enjoyable voice. You're right, she shouldn't have been a control freak like that. She needs to just smile and accept it. America doesn't like it when you talk back. That may have been what put Carly in the bottom 3.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My thoughts:

When I saw that Kristy was in the bottom three, I expected her to be the one sent home. After the abysmal performance last week and the lukewarm effort this week, I was shocked that she made the top 10.

I didn't expect Carly to be in the bottom three. I can't say I was a big fan at first, but I have warmed to her over the last few weeks. I didn't think Blackbird was great, but I loved her performance last week.

I was surprised that the Australian guy made it through, but my patriotic side was glad that he did.

Like Tallulah, I am a Brooke fan, but this week's performance left me a bit speechless. I just didn't get it.

Looking forward to next week.
I don't get why people like Michael Johns either.

It's hard to be great every single week.
Thankfully, Brooke had enough fans to carry her through.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I just can't believe they voted Eri off. :cry:
I don't understand... they voted off Amanda Overmyer. Who's Eri?

I actually voted for Amanda Tuesday night, about 100 times.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't understand... they voted off Amanda Overmyer. Who's Eri?

I actually voted for Amanda Tuesday night, about 100 times.

Jen is saying that Amanda reminds her of Eri (a poster here), personality-wise.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, and Carrie Underwood is the only one of those with real superstar success.

I don't know, I'd say Kelly Clarkson is a bigger star. But I don't listen to country music, so maybe I'm wrong.

I was referring to REAL "Idols" as I listed, not these manufactured ones. And my point was that looks DO matter, though I have no idea how Reuben snuck through.

Sorry. When you used the wording "American Idols" I thought you were referring exclusively to contestants on the show.

My point was that looks has a lot to do with someone's popularity. That's not a big secret.

Well, nobody can argue with that.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know, I'd say Kelly Clarkson is a bigger star. But I don't listen to country music, so maybe I'm wrong.
Checking into it, Kelly is a bigger star than I was aware of. I didn't know she's got a couple of Grammys. Carrie does, too.