User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Thread: American Idol

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Wow, I didn't get that at all. I mean, the judges did say a few times that this or that contestant could win, but I would have never thought to link it to David Archuleta. I don't actually see him as one of the favorites. I think that hands down he has the worst taste in song choice of any of them (and even maybe of past seasons too), and I think that's going to bring him down in the end. If past seasons are any guide, the Tiger Beat teen crush guy never wins.
    He's kind of this season's Clay Aiken. If he doesn't win, he'll at least get second. I just don't think he's very consistent. When he's really connecting with a great song, he can be magnificent. When he chooses a song he that doesn't fit, I can take him or leave him. I think he does have a big fan base similar to Clay's, i.e. preteen girls who are crushing on him and women 35+ who want to mother him.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Oh. You didn't know that in all the polls, David Archuleta usually has twice as many votes as the next top competitor? Yeah. Huge voting fan base.
    No, I didn't know that. It's very surprising to me! It's interesting the perspectives we get from either just watching the show in a bubble or looking at ancillary stuff and getting a wider view.

In my mind, David was kind of still living off the goodwill from "Imagine". He sang very well last night but picked a terrible song IMO. He just seems too Mickey Mouse Club to win. Every previous winner (including Jordin, who was only 17), seemed to have a more mature demeanor.

I guess maybe I spoke without thinking when I said I didn't think he was one of the favorites, because when I thought about it later, I don't think this season really HAS favorites. Of the contestants left, I see a bunch of people who could maybe win, and then Kristy Lee and Ramiele. We shall see!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

I love Clay Aiken, when he came to DC to sing for the 4th of July I wanted to go see him and everyone I knew thought I was nuts. I didn't even get any points for the kitsch factor. I think Clay was and still is to a lesser extent super campy which was part of his appeal (kind of like Sanjaya) and the reason he is fodder for comedians like Katthy Griffin. But Clay was also an awesome vocalist and strangely charismatic. He didn't win, but his popularity and success far surpasses Ruben Studdard's.

I think David Archuleta is a good singer, but there are lots of "good singers" especially on American Idol. I think he's different from Clay Aiken in that David really is "Mikey Mouse Club" (good way of phrasing it) and would have a very different fan base from Clay. Clay gets strangely sexualized by his fans, whereas David is very much an innocent straight laced boy. The idea that he would get fans throwing panties at him makes me go :horor: and feel slightly disturbed whereas with Clay, it makes me chuckle.

I'm not a fan of David Archuleta. Every season there is a "wholesome young boy" that gets pushed through the competition undeservingly IMO. If you're not going to go solely on singing ability, I much prefer to see entertaining and wacky performers like Sanjaya and Danny Noriega get the votes.

BTW, I cannot believe how horrific Kristy Lee Cook is. HORRIFIC. Bad singer, zero personality, and zero stage presence. And she was signed to Britney Spears' label in the past. Yikes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

I waited for months for this show to come back on, and now that it's on, I think I'm going to get an ulcer from all the worrying about my "favorite" getting voted off!

The great thing about this year is that everyone in the Top 10 is a good singer, not just some of them.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Chikeze was robbed.

Wednesday will live in infamy - I was thrown under the bus on the same day as Chikeze.

From now on, whenever someone gets shafted I'll say they've been "Chikeze'd".

I want right-wing-patriotic-barbie gone with a vengeance now! And then I want short little bad ballad chick outta there!

I used to think Archuletta was sure thing; now I'm looking at David Cook as viable for the final two at least. I think it's going to come down to the 2 Davids.

Has someone else said they despise the fake mosh pit? I hate it and I hate the fake, lemming-like arm waving that occurs in it.

Note to screaming tweens: you don't have to do everything the prompter tells you to do.

Final notes:

- I effing hate "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - I always thought she was singing "living in a pollywog". Oh well.
    - Chris Cornell? MmmmmChrisCornell..... (http://photos.lacoccinelle.net/68/49/136849.jpg)
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INTJ

It's scary that Simon was so right!

As many fans as each one has, who will vote for their favorite no matter how they do on any particular night, I'm starting to think that they are not in the majority after all.

It is scary that Kristy Lee got more votes than Jason!

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    It is scary that Kristy Lee got more votes than Jason!
    It's even scarier that she sang better than him this week!

I mean, she's not in his class overall, but this week she was better. I've noticed in the past that even the most mediocre talents on the show have one week where they put it all together, and this was hers. She'll probably be awful next week

And Anii is right...Chikezie got Chikezie'd! I can't believe who wound up in the bottom three while Ramiele was safe. She must have dirty pictures of the producers.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    If you're not going to go solely on singing ability, I much prefer to see entertaining and wacky performers like Sanjaya and Danny Noriega get the votes.
    See, I'm actually offended that people like Sanjaya and Danny are in it at all. Their presence in the top 24 or top 12 is like an extension of the policy to show godawful auditions for comic purposes. If I were one of the contestants in the top 12 that could actually sing, I would be angry that these clowns were being presented as serious competitors alongside me. For all her awfulness, Kristy Lee is a better singer than either of these guys and hasn't had to rely on appreciators of kitsch or irony to advance this far.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    See, I'm actually offended that people like Sanjaya and Danny are in it at all. Their presence in the top 24 or top 12 is like an extension of the policy to show godawful auditions for comic purposes. If I were one of the contestants in the top 12 that could actually sing, I would be angry that these clowns were being presented as serious competitors alongside me. For all her awfulness, Kristy Lee is a better singer than either of these guys and hasn't had to rely on appreciators of kitsch or irony to advance this far.
    Agreed. It really gets me riled up when people like Sanjaya make it WAY farther than they should in the competition just b/c people like seeing the trainwreck, or want to amuse themselves. Grrrrrrr. The second worst thing, though, is when people who really deserve to go home in week 3 or 4 keep staying around because they have a decent-sized fan base that are all too happy to keep them around long after even the singer him/herself is comfortable being there. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen with Ramiele and Kristy Lee. People are going to keep voting for them, and really good ones are going to go home.

Chikezie was freaking robbed. :steam:

MBTI
    INTJ

I agree with you guys. I don't like it either. Since I'm a professional singer and musician myself, I tend to look at it more seriously.

It IS a Variety Show though, and I think in a way, it would help the contestants to look at it that way. Not just - how can I showcase who I am, but what will the public find entertaining?

(Sorry for the improper sentence... sorry Mrs. Shapiro.)