User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFj

Arrow I want to learn poetry, but I know nothing about how to write it.

I haven't even read much poetry since it's a more recent interest, and I've been busy. I've read some, and so far I like Dante Basco and Edgar Alan Poe.

I need to find a good introduction to poetry. I'm not really one for rhymes or having to follow strict rules. I just want to write about ideas that I have.

So is there a type of poetry that doesn't incorporate strict rules? It can have some. Basically, I just don't want anything too difficult that I'll just mess up.

Are there any particular books on writing poetry that you can recommend?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

anything by bukowski. he is amazingly straightforward. sylvia plath, rainer maria wilke, ee cummings, alan ginsburg are great too. just write what you want to say. if ya try too hard it will sound forced. if you need critique or ideas, im here- ive won a few awards and have a booklength manuscript collecting dust, so im always eager to discuss writing!
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFj

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ubee0173 View Post
    anything by bukowski. he is amazingly straightforward. sylvia plath, rainer maria wilke, ee cummings, alan ginsburg are great too. just write what you want to say. if ya try too hard it will sound forced. if you need critique or ideas, im here- ive won a few awards and have a booklength manuscript collecting dust, so im always eager to discuss writing!
    Awesome. Thank you. Can you recommend an instruction book or guide to writing? Also, based off what I said, what types of poetry might I like? Which ones aren't too difficult as far as the mechanics of it? I mainly just don't want to have to worry about rhyming.

The type of poetry you are referring to is called, free verse.
    You can Google it to find plenty of information.
    Head to Amazon.com and plug in the words 'free verse' in your title seach, to find a list of books.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Solution View Post
    Awesome. Thank you. Can you recommend an instruction book or guide to writing? Also, based off what I said, what types of poetry might I like? Which ones aren't too difficult as far as the mechanics of it? I mainly just don't want to have to worry about rhyming.
    im really racking my brain trying to think of a guide. i dont know. i read the news, fall in love, go to bars, school, etc. i write because i cant keep it internalized. just anything you feel strongly about. and as far as rhyming goes, FUCK RHYMING!! the best poetry is from the heart, and my heart has only rhymed about 3 times. and i have probably writen 300+ poems in my life. but only about 40 poems are in my manuscript. just keep a notebook, write every day. dont just record events, but record your impression of the events. shit, i once wrote a poem about cleaning the bathroom. and it was not that terrible, surprisingly. and here is some bukowski just for fun:

bluebird

there's a bluebird in my heart that
    wants to get out
    but I'm too tough for him,
    I say, stay in there, I'm not going
    to let anybody see
    you.

wants to get out
    but I pur whiskey on him and inhale
    cigarette smoke
    and the whores and the bartenders
    and the grocery clerks
    never know that
    he's
    in there.

wants to get out
    but I'm too tough for him,
    I say,
    stay down, do you want to mess
    me up?
    you want to screw up the
    works?
    you want to blow my book sales in
    Europe?

wants to get out
    but I'm too clever, I only let him out
    at night sometimes
    when everybody's asleep.
    I say, I know that you're there,
    so don't be
    sad.
    then I put him back,
    but he's singing a little
    in there, I haven't quite let him
    die
    and we sleep together like
    that
    with our
    secret pact
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

the laughing heart

your life is your life
    don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
    be on the watch.
    there are ways out.
    there is a light somewhere.
    it may not be much light but
    it beats the darkness.
    be on the watch.
    the gods will offer you chances.
    know them.
    take them.
    you can’t beat death but
    you can beat death in life, sometimes.
    and the more often you learn to do it,
    the more light there will be.
    your life is your life.
    know it while you have it.
    you are marvelous
    the gods wait to delight
    in you.
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FUCK RHYMING!!
    Best advice yet unless you plan to write man from nantucket style poetry!

Just start writing and keep writing until you can read it without cringing which in my case, hasn't happened yet.

There's a haiku thread lurking around TypeC. Why not try your hand at it? It's really easy to do with a 5-7-5 pattern.

MBTI
    ----

if you want to get a little more familiar with poetry as a literary artform - the norton anthology of poetry is an excellent source for poetry newbies. it's got the who's who of poetry in it and is organised chronologically. it will expose you to different poetic styles/voices.

i pick it up occasionally and flick through it and can always find something to capture my interest - it's a beautiful book to own.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

You can't learn how to write poetry from a manual. That's not what poetry is about. If it was, computers could generate poetry, but they can't.

Fuck manuals. Just experiment with something regardless if it looks proper. Let your soul guide your pen.

Rilke. ;)

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Here's a foolproof guide to writing poetry. Ready? OK. Wait, stop... before you do. Throw out any "rulebooks" you might have. Or use them as paperweight... or firewood. You can't sell them cuz they're worthless. Either way, get rid of them. OK? Ready? OK.

1. Get your ass-kicked by life.
    2. Find a poet or poem that truly speaks to your pain/joy/sadness/horniness.
    3. Read the shit out of that poet and imitate them. Seriously. Write out one of their poems word for word if you want. Maybe replace a few words to fit your situation better. Maybe replace whole stanzas. Fuck around with it to make it fit you better. Let whatever inspires you guide you. Trust your instincts (if you don't have instincts, do step #1, but HARDER). Trust whatever meaning YOU get out of reading the poem and not what some dumb-fuck academic is telling you. Bridge the gap between the experience the poem is expressing and your own personal experience.
    4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 over and over again until you start to develop your own voice, which you will if you perform step 1 properly because no one can express your experience better than you.

It's Allen Ginsberg.