User Tag List

12 Last

Epiphany

Default Genuine vs Superficial Interests

The thing I hate most about pop-culture and counter-culture is the superficial loyalty of their followers. The former only likes things that are mainstream and the latter refuses to like anything if it is popular, even if it piques their interest. Both choose their interests based on other people's interests.

I'm acquainted with a few indie kids who sneer at anything that is played on the radio. How hypocritical is that? I've heard some of their underground music and there's a reason why it's not played on the radio; it sounds like shit (generalizing). When it comes to music, I like what I like. I don't care who else does or doesn't like it. Why do people always say that a band has "sold out" if they start making money on their music? I think if someone has the potential to make a decent profit off of their abilities then they should take advantage of that opportunity. Another thing that pisses me off is when people think that a band should produce the same music every album. People change as they grow and an artist's material is going to reflect that. It doesn't mean that they betrayed their fans.

The same is true for movies, books, etc... So many people feel a need to belong or rebel. Like whatever you like and stop putting labels on everything.

Default LAME

You may enjoy the adventures of the hipsters in space then, Mask.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    You may enjoy the adventures of the hipsters in space then, Mask.
    Ha! I love SuperNews. That was great!

[YOUTUBE="XOmt-n70Hp4"]Jihad Is Rad[/YOUTUBE]

I've always been able to discuss music with hipster types, but eventually, I throw a monkey wrench into the equation and say I like Hanson or something. I'm not a great musician, but I am a musician myself (often more than some of these hipsters), and I just approach it from a general point of view first. I feel it's all rhythm and dynamics between notes in the end. Keeping that in mind, I try to take songs on their own terms for the most part. I don't care if it became unpopular yesterday or that they are too popular, or what city's scene they came from, or if it was on the Twilight soundtrack, etc.. What I don't like is superficiality or insincerity within the bands themselves. Some themes just seem too forced. Like some metal band that puts on an angsty/evil/pissed off act, when they're actually nice polka musicians in secret. Or hip hop acts that sing about bling bling, girls, and cars, but in the end, only rented those props for their videos. I don't like seeing music reduced to image, basically.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    The thing I hate most about pop-culture and counter-culture is the superficial loyalty of their followers. The former only likes things that are mainstream and the latter refuses to like anything if it is popular, even if it piques their interest. Both choose their interests based on other people's interests.

I'm acquainted with a few indie kids who sneer at anything that is played on the radio. How hypocritical is that? I've heard some of their underground music and there's a reason why it's not played on the radio; it sounds like shit (generalizing). When it comes to music, I like what I like. I don't care who else does or doesn't like it. Why do people always say that a band has "sold out" if they start making money on their music? I think if someone has the potential to make a decent profit off of their abilities then they should take that opportunity. Another thing that pisses me off is when people think that a band should produce the same music every album. People change as they grow and an artist's material is going to reflect that. It doesn't mean that they betrayed their fans.

The same is true for movies, books, etc... So many people feel a need to belong or rebel. Like whatever you like and stop putting labels on everything.
    I tend to listen to stuff which does not really get streamed on radio and so I can understand this behaviour to some extent actually. You know, when you have a music taste which is different from what is streamed in mass media (which is basically only Pop, Hip Hop, Techno and the kind and occassionally on some channels some more traditional music etc.) it is more difficult to find bands which suit the own music taste. Thankfully there is the internets where you can find some good bands by chance or recommendation of other people with similar taste, but there is no simple way as in just putting on the radio and get what fits your taste all the time.

So then you finally find some good bands which start in exactly the kind of music way you like, and in their next 2-3 albums they get even better by evolution of their music. They reach now a popularity which still represents a niche in our society but is still higher than real underground bands. At that point suddenly several bands start to change their music drastic to a bit more mainstream stuff, which comes off with mostly new fans and more money, while old fans are mostly disappointed.

It is not always a bad development, and of course people change and want to try new things. Plus no one can blame them for doing what they want. However it is an annoying feel for the old fans who liked the old music and who now have to find again a new band which suit their music preference. And there is always a bad taste that the new mainstream music often feels no longer genuine because it feels like a compromise of the band for own preference and earning money and popularity. Genuinity in music are important though for being liked for many people, and I at least don't feel that genuinity anymore after most of those drastic changes.

That doesn't mean I like less popular music only because it is less popular. Sometimes I will like also more popular music (although it happens not very often anymore to be frank), and sometimes I think that bands which changed their music style sound even better although I liked already their old music.

I think people start to dislike for this reasons the mainstream. Because they blame mainstream for loosing "their" bands to the mainstream. Like mainstream stole their music. Is it rational? No, they should probably blame their bands or just accept things.

Epiphany

I don't have a problem if people like other music that I don't care for. I understand that some decent music isn't going to be played on the radio. I just get annoyed by this attitude that if a song/band gets mass-exposure then it's no longer "cool" or whatever word you want to use.

Is it bad/why is it bad if people want to be part of a group identity?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Is it bad/why is it bad if people want to be part of a group identity?
    thats not a bad thing at all; a bit of belonging or wanting to is essential human nature. its just when people determine their likes/dislikes based on a sort of group mentality. people should just like what they like and not give two shits about who else likes it. unless their 'likes' involve murder and arson... then they should really reconsider the giving a shit thing.

i have a very eclectic taste in stuffs and can have a Very Serious Discussion about the merits and artistic integrity of what I like... but i like this just as much. so much for my artsy credibility! sorry, but i have to force this song into everyone elses head!
    YouTube - Crabs
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ubee0173 View Post
    I'll trade you some crabs for fishheads?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

roly-poly ones? YUM!
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]