User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    It's morally outrageous to switch allegiance because you moved somewhere new, but if you had no allegiance to begin with then that's a different story.
    This is absolutely baffling to me...

    In high school, for example, I would think that if you go to X high school for 2 years, but then your family moves and you go to Y high school for your last 2 years, you're not expected to cheer for X if you play them! Why is it different for adults and state/hometown teams?

    Admittedly I'm not a sports fan, so maybe I just don't get it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    This is absolutely baffling to me...

    In high school, for example, I would think that if you go to X high school for 2 years, but then your family moves and you go to Y high school for your last 2 years, you're not expected to cheer for X if you play them! Why is it different for adults and state/hometown teams?

    Admittedly I'm not a sports fan, so maybe I just don't get it.
    Well, I think you raise a very different situation than Quinlan does. If you are an actual student at a school, then I think your allegiances lie there, of course. But in pro sports like Quinlan is referring to, you have no direct connection to the team...the only connection is one you make yourself. In other words, you can't help where you go to high school, but your choice of pro team is entirely in your hands. So the motivations for switching allegiances are different.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  3. #13
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, I think you raise a very different situation than Quinlan does. If you are an actual student at a school, then I think your allegiances lie there, of course. But in pro sports like Quinlan is referring to, you have no direct connection to the team...the only connection is one you make yourself. In other words, you can't help where you go to high school, but your choice of pro team is entirely in your hands. So the motivations for switching allegiances are different.
    Hmm... well I guess yeah, there is a difference between going to school at a particular school and living in a particular state/city... but still, I don't really get why moving to a different state is apparently a questionable motive for swearing allegiance to a different team.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Hmm... well I guess yeah, there is a difference between going to school at a particular school and living in a particular state/city... but still, I don't really get why moving to a different state is apparently a questionable motive for swearing allegiance to a different team.
    Well, with full disclosure that I'm aware this is a weird subculture that I'm sure looks very silly from the outside...

    It's about how invested you are. If you can just switch like that, you can't be very invested. To me it would be like picking a new best friend. If someone is really your best friend, you wouldn't be able to just up and pick someone you don't know very well to be your new best friend. You have feelings invested there that you can't just turn off...and if you could, people would look at you funny.

    For instance, I grew up in the Philadelphia area but I've lived in Los Angeles for 13 years. It wouldn't even occur to me to root for Los Angeles teams because it feels unnatural. It would be throwing away years and years of time and attention invested in the Philadelphia teams. Besides, if you suddenly decide to switch teams and your new team wins a championship fairly soon after, it wouldn't be even a fraction as satisfying as if a team you've been rooting for your whole life won.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  5. #15
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default


  6. #16
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, with full disclosure that I'm aware this is a weird subculture that I'm sure looks very silly from the outside...

    It's about how invested you are. If you can just switch like that, you can't be very invested. To me it would be like picking a new best friend. If someone is really your best friend, you wouldn't be able to just up and pick someone you don't know very well to be your new best friend. You have feelings invested there that you can't just turn off...and if you could, people would look at you funny.

    For instance, I grew up in the Philadelphia area but I've lived in Los Angeles for 13 years. It wouldn't even occur to me to root for Los Angeles teams because it feels unnatural. It would be throwing away years and years of time and attention invested in the Philadelphia teams. Besides, if you suddenly decide to switch teams and your new team wins a championship fairly soon after, it wouldn't be even a fraction as satisfying as if a team you've been rooting for your whole life won.
    That makes sense. I suppose you have to be a sports fan to really get it, but I think I vaguely get it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  7. #17
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Cheer for both. That's what I did!

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Cheer for both. That's what I did!
    Sports bigamist! :footballreferee:
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  9. #19
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,131

    Default

    Is it permissible to cheer for any other teams once yours is out of the final rounds? For example, for Stanley Cup playoffs or finals, if your team is no longer part of the competition, is it okay to root for anyone else? If so, is it okay to keep switching allegiances because they aren't really your team anyway, or do you choose a secondary team to be loyal to?

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Is it permissible to cheer for any other teams once yours is out of the final rounds? For example, for Stanley Cup playoffs or finals, if your team is no longer part of the competition, is it okay to root for anyone else? If so, is it okay to keep switching allegiances because they aren't really your team anyway, or do you choose a secondary team to be loyal to?
    Yes. I still enjoy the game even if my team isn't in it, and it's not nearly as much fun to watch sitting on a fence. So I usually contrive some reason to have a rooting interest in the remainder of the playoffs. I also think it's fine to have a secondary team you have a fondness for as long as there is never any question about your favorite. Kind of like you can have opposite sex friends when you're married but you can't sleep with them

    Somehow I seem to have appointed myself the arbiter of this sort of thing. I'm too much of a pedant for this!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] An INTP question on XSFP's
    By INTPness in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 05:09 AM
  2. Question on enneagram confusion
    By Ruthie in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
  3. Question on sensing functions
    By norepinephrine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
  4. Ethics, Money, and Sports
    By Simplexity in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO